Why are there so many Blizzard apologists on MMOC?

It seems that whenever somebody makes a completely objective statement or fair general criticism regarding Blizzard, there's always a dozen guys lined up with "logical" answers and a handful of insults to throw around before they can finish their thoughts. So many of these people don't even partially agree with the thoughts mentioned in the original post, they flat out disagree without even attempting to continue the discussion. I mean, I don't really care that someone disagrees with a criticism for Blizzard (or their games), but it's just like, how do so many people make someone feel "wrong" for having an opinion?

What's mostly bothering is the ratio of apologists to critics. It's a massacre. We could take 20 different well-written complaint threads and all of them will have an overwhelming majority of apologists making the OP seem like a giant jackass. How do so many people invest in defending Blizzard even though they've made many mistakes? However, at this point, this community is beginning to make me question whether Blizzard has ever actually made a single mistake in the entire history of their company.

I can contrast MMOC with another popular Blizzard game-oriented forum and the ratio is completely reversed. It's like night and day. And I actually don't like that place too because it's got far more haters/trolls than critics and a sad number of apologists.

So, why are there so many and why do they do it? Part of the answer is luck, MMOC just happened to gather them here, mostly on accident. The other part of the answer is this (as it pertains to WoW specifically): We pay a large sum of $15 a month - well, most of us - so some people will try their hardest to justify their long-term expenses on the game. Internal thoughts like "Why would someone accuse me of playing a bad game I pay really good money for? This game is perfect and so is the company!" arrive at the subconscious when they read complaints (don't take offense; the quote was a hyperbolic example). That's one extreme, but let's talk about the other. On the flip side, some people want to find reasons to cancel their expenses for this game (like complain), but it's not as bad, because there is no way they could make deluded complaints while still paying for the game. I mean, there are exceptions, but they are the exception, not the rule. What the critics usually say is respectable while the apologists seem to have sacrificed their judicial ability to justify their large expenses.

I guess what I'm trying to say and probably serves as the best example to close this post is...the Blizzard apologists on this forum have a psychological issue very similar to something called "ludomania." They don't realize they have the problem and they are addicted to doing it. They do it on impulse. They lie, tolerate, withdraw, lose control, etc. They can be rude and ruthless. And these people can not be changed overnight, making it very problematic.

So, for those of us that fall into the minority (not-apologists), do not feel as if your complaints are invalid or stupid because of these apologists. You're doing the right thing by voicing your opinion because it could drastically shape the Blizzard of tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,
    Lyctam

I agree This has become my least favorite forum about Wow because there are too many blizzard apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyctam View Post
    I can contrast MMOC with another popular Blizzard game-oriented forum and the ratio is completely reversed. It's like night and day. And I actually don't like that place too because it's got far more haters/trolls than critics and a sad number of apologists.
    I actually thought this was teamliquid and then you lost me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

10+ Year Old Account
    So people can't defend a game they like?
    It's like you want MMO-Champion to be only filled with haters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

You're on a world of warcraft fansite, what did you expect?

Next you'll go to a church on a sunday and wonder why everyone there is such a christian...
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Why are there so many Blizzard whiners?
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

It's not even about them being Blizzard apologists. It's just about them being behind a keyboard and wanting to have a different opinion than everyone else. Half the time I feel they're not posting to defend Blizzard so much as just to argue with the original poster or other people. It's the internet and it makes them feel special. You could probably have a somewhat decent conversation with some of these people in person, and they may not even have that same opinion in person. It's just that on an internet forum they're going to bicker and argue and argue with you that the sky is blue because they're bored or they just like being annoying without having to worry about anyone knowing who they are.

Best thing is just to ignore it, especially if it isn't insightful or productive.

Honestly, you could probably start another thread in 10 minutes doing nothing but praising Blizzard, and half of the white knights would probably be in that thread arguing with you all of Blizzard's faults.

It's really mostly useless.

It seems that whenever somebody makes a completely objective statement or fair general criticism regarding Blizzard, there's always a dozen guys lined up with "logical" answers and a handful of insults to throw around before they can finish their thoughts.
    Of course different forums are different, if I go to a 7 string guitar forum I will see lots of interesting and supportive threads for extended range and custom instruments of all varieties. If I go to a vintage guitar forum all I'll find is people circle jerking about vintage guitars and agreeing with how ridiculous everything else is.

Can I ask, what would be some examples of a "completely objective statement or fair and general criticism regarding blizzard"?

There's very rarely things that I consider objective and not entirely opinionated on this forum.

It's a WoW fansite. What more do you expect from such?

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems that whenever somebody makes a completely objective statement or fair general criticism regarding Blizzard, there's always a dozen guys lined up with "logical" answers and a handful of insults to throw around before they can finish their thoughts.
    i rarely see a thread or post made in fair objective criticism. i almost always see the opposite. mostly kneejerk irrational QQ statements, or embellished hypothetical "what~ifs" used to back up a delusional unrealistic desire for something to be changed to suit the want of a specific poster.

rarely do these posters think of things from multiple angles, and different points of view. thus causing people with those different angles/points of view to come into a thread and post them.

using "apologist" as a descriptive term is a bit extreme. calling someone a fanboy is as well. mostly on this forum i see people that completely lack the ability to understand what "posting constructively" means. and use those buzzwords to try and discredit others that dont share the same opinion.

edit: also what Darsithis said below me.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-07-30 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? Because virtually nothing posted is actually constructive. Recent gems that I can remember are:

- "Blizzard is a prostitute"
    - "Blizzard is full of lies and deceit"
    - "Blizzard is just milking WoW dry"
    - "WoW sucks and is dying"
    - "WoW is a terrible game"
    - "WoW (classic) was the only good one, now it's a husk of its former glory"

And so on.

You're doing the right thing by voicing your opinion because it could drastically shape the Blizzard of tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,
    Lyctam

You won't change the game from here and you should stop thinking that you will.

Blizzard is our lord and master. They will make everything right..they always will. WoW is the best MMO ever. Sub numbers prove it.

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    So people can't defend a game they like?
    It's like you want MMO-Champion to be only filled with haters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    You're on a world of warcraft fansite, what did you expect?

Next you'll go to a church on a sunday and wonder why everyone there is such a christian...
    These two apologists are a textbook example of what I was talking about. They can not even begin to comprehend that a WoW forum could include people who would praise WoW for its strengths and offer constructive criticisms for its weaknesses.

Congratulations you two. I was really hoping an apologist would not say something as silly as this on the first page but both of you have now served as embarrassing representations of the entire group for the duration of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    These two apologists are a textbook example of what I was talking about. They can not even begin to comprehend that a WoW forum could include people who would praise WoW for its strengths and offer constructive criticisms for its weaknesses.

Congratulations you two. I was really hoping an apologist would not say something as silly as this on the first page but both of you have now served as embarrassing representations of the entire group for the duration of this thread.
    This isn't an acceptable way to start or run a discussion.

Closing.