Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I didn't know 10 years worth of content wasn't enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Clay- View Post
    Yeah, all the other MMOs, all the thriving, well-faring MMOs.
    It may shock you to know that an MMO does not have to be garnering millions of subs in order to be considered thriving and successful. Surely you're not implying that WoW is somehow better off from years without content?

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Or... you know, they give them money because they enjoy the game...
    Really?!

Obviously they enjoy the game. The trouble is that while they are happy to go kill furbolg to get some 10 year old rep up to exalted some folk don't care about that. Some people like new content and don't really want to do that for a year while we wait. Sadly people like you seem to be in majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Banthare View Post
    As much as I think the people who make these threads are completely off base, that argument has never worked with wow.

They have failed at preserving their older leveling content through the games changes, and the older raids are completely irrelevant for newer players and the dungeons are mostly something you piss through and move on to get to the current content.

Basically every time they release a new xpac or even new content within an xpac the previous content becomes more and more irrelevant and just needless. It's pretty much a fresh game with baggage every time they release a new xpac.

That's why they gave everyone a free 90 with warlords, because skipping all of that other shit is healthier for the game than having them do it.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2014-07-30 at 09:24 PM.

Deleted
    If I may propose a controversial solution - what about DLC? The argument for why we get so many store mounts is that the revenues from them mean the mounts pay for themselves. Why can't the odd content patch? Paying 10-15 pounds once or twice a year for a zone and a couple of scenarios doesn't sound so bad if it means a steady stream of content. Of course seeing as Blizzard charges 25 dollars for a mount they'd probably overprice them but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont expect content before December.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    And there are many people who defend even the worst Blizzard does.
    That's one way to put it, if you're clearly biased against those peoples' opinions.

Here's one biased in support of their opinions: We have a realistic expectation of what our money should buy.

I am a casual player. In terms of raiding, I raided 3 hours per week scheduled, and probably another 2 hours as kind of in-guild PuG Flex raids that tended to happen once a week as well. That means 5 hours per week, or 20 hours per month. That's less than a dollar per hour of entertainment. That's an exceptional value -- and it doesn't include a single thing I do in-game that wasn't our guild raid, including LFRs when I was working on legendaries, Celestials, scenarios, gearing up secondary toons, transmog runs, etc. In other words, as the kind of guy who doesn't play much, and even not including a chunk of what I DO play, it's a strong value. The same kind of value propositions hold for the expansions themselves as well.

I'm not happy with how long Siege has been out, and I responded accordingly: I stopped playing until 6.0 drops. At or near that point, the value proposition returns.

I've tried other MMOs. If I find something I consider a better value-to-time proposition that I enjoy, I will go. That hasn't been the case so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Really?!

Obviously they enjoy the game. The trouble is that while they are happy to go kill furbolg to get some 10 year old rep up to exalted some folk don't care about that. Some people like new content and don't really want to do that for a year while we wait. Sadly people like you seem to be in majority.
    The problem is the loud raucous crowd on the fourmS who know so much about how video games should be produced never actually get enough people to quit for it to matter in the slightest bit. Scream, yell, cry, it doesn't matter to Blizzard, they will release content when its ready. Hell, quit and take a break for all Blizzard cares, you'll be back, and they know that

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread was just bait for rabid apologists to attack.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Really?!

Yes, it's sad that 'people like me' seem to be in the majority. How dare I spend my time doing things that I enjoy in a video game!
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Deleted
    People who keep subbing even though they have nothing to do in the game must be mentally weak or something. Un-sub and go do something else until there's shit to do. How is this even a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Isn't ironic that a company that has billions of dollars of revenue each year, pushes out content patches for their MMO at a rate slower than all the other companies making MMOs in the industry?

Now this is not a game vs game thread so dont turn it into that.

But its sad quite frankly that WoW has 1 year luls between content, and other games have awesome content being pushed out every two weeks, every month, or every other month (GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this). The other sad thing is that these other games have free to play models.

So why pay for something when you can get more for free?

Your opinion is not based on any factual evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Oh this thread again.
    Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Why do say 5 devs get content going at a decent pace but 6 is "too many cooks spoiling the broth"?
    If a problem takes X time for one programmer, it does NOT take X/2 time for two programmers. You've now introduced complexity to the operation, as well as requiring coordination, and both of those eat time. Further, if developer #2 was not originally a part of the project, there is a significant learning curve for him to get up-to-speed with the codebase itself, as well as the practices and methodologies of the other team members. Not only is the team not operating at "2x," the new programmer isn't even operating at 1x yet. And he could easily make mistakes from his inexperience.

The larger the team, the more new additions, the worse this becomes. Time gets spent on reporting, metrics, meetings, familiarizing yourself with what has come before, etc etc etc. On large, complex projects, time is spent waiting for other components to finish, what's called "blockers."

Google "Mythical Man Month" for more information. It specifically is referring to late projects, but the principles apply more generically as well.

Clearly whatever Blizzard is currently doing isn't working - we're looking at over a year with no content and the content we're getting is less than we were promised. I find it hard to believe that Blizzard's development team is so exclusive that there is no one they could hire to speed up production.
    They did "hire" -- the Titanfall development team was gutted and added to the WoW team. Proof enough that adding more hands doesn't necessarily speed things up significantly, yes?

At the very least one patch in between expansions should be a given. Even if that delays WoD the overall time between content patches would be less.
    The one thing I agree wholeheartedly with, and I'm sure Blizzard does as well, is that the amount of time that has passed since SoO's release and whenever the expansion comes out is "TOO DAMN HIGH!" It needs to be fixed. Hiring more people isn't necessarily the answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard just know their fan base. When you have millions of people who are happy with literally nothing why would you spend money making content?
    This is probably the sad truth. People should stop paying the sub fee few months after the last content update to send the signal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banthare View Post
    Old content is old...

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Yes, it's sad that 'people like me' seem to be in the majority. How dare I spend my time doing things that I enjoy in a video game!
    Fill your boots. I am happy you find fun things to do. The fly in the ointment however is that when so many people are happy to do old content people like me have nothing to do. If i have not done any content in the last 10 years then i don't want to do it. All i look forward to is new content. So i am now a wow tourist. I have to quit every few month and wait for some new content. Anyone else hear violins?

Yeah if I remember right Blizzard admitted they screwed up the pacing of this expansion which is part of the reason why we are having such a long content drought.

Im still enjoying playing the game, even if I only play 15 hours a month that is still only a dollar an hour(I play much more than that though =p). Considering that very few games will give 60 hours of entertainment, I dont think that is to bad. Also raiding isnt the only content...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Yeah if I remember right Blizzard admitted they screwed up the pacing of this expansion which is part of the reason why we are having such a long content drought.
    They did the same in Wrath though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this
    The last time SWToR was a good example, was about how not to F2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest: Other mmos at the same rate content is pushed into the game, people complaining about that there is no content to do and leave. WoW instead seems stable at subs, even if blizzard is giving you literally nothing over the past 10 months. Thats the blizzard effect.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ