Poll: Glasses?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you wear glasses?

So, I went for an eye test the other week, discovered I need glasses and stuff. It's the first time I've ever had them and was a bit nervous choosing them, it's so difficult to pick the right frames! Was pretty shocked at the price, too... I mean, the cheapest ones started at like £50, and went up to like several hundred pounds. I ended up with two pretty similar pairs, both were around £150 or so and like... I dunno, it seems like a lot of money that like... quite a lot of people have to pay? Fortunately my work helped cover it since it was for work related stuff, but if it's not, how are you meant to just have £300 to shell out on glasses just because you need them all of a sudden?

Anyway. How many of you wear glasses? How much did you pay for them? What do you have to use them for? I was pretty shocked at how much they help, I guess I didn't realise how much I needed them! They feel a bit funny on my nose though, I've never really worn sunglasses because I hate the feeling of the bit pinching your nose, and like... these are basically the same, except having to wear them all damn day, since they're for computer stuff which is like, my entire life. Do you get used to that eventually? Or are they gonna feel weird forever?

These are my fav. of the two pairs I got! The other pair are basically the same, but with a bit of pink down the side and like, very slightly smaller around the connect-y arm-y bit. There were some really nice ones at like £300 but waay too expensive.

Great choice of frames, they look lovely on you!

Yes I do wear glasses! My face is very round so I wear a rectangular shape to balance it out.
    I was also surprised when I put on my prescription glasses for the first time. I had no idea my eyes were that bad! Everything was like high def, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your glasses look great, OP. Right fit for your face.

Yes I do!

I'm the one on the right:

I wear glasses and I've had to wear them since kindergarten. I don't know how much my last pair cost as I have been wearing them for about 6 six years now and I can tell how much worse my eyes have become. I really need a job -.-'

Right now I have rectangular frames and I think I'll stay with a similar shape once I get a new pair.

Deleted
    no, but im going for an eye test next week, and i expect i do need glasses.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't, maybe add a poll?

They look good on you.

I wear contacts, i'd like a backup pair of glasses, but they'd be coke bottles due to using my Sharingan so much.

With insurance i can probably swing it down, but they only allow one or the other for free, and 1 year supply of contacts usually lasts me 6-7 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had glasses for most of my adult life. Astigmatism, so I need them all the time, not just for certain tasks. The easiest way to get used to them is to wear them constantly, really; I don't even notice mine any more unless I'm trying to notice them.

They shouldn't feel pinch-y on your nose, though. Try loosening the nose pads slightly, maybe; your glasses should rest on the bridge of your nose, but not pinch on. If you just mean the weight of them, that's just something you'll get used to.

The price is pretty typical; I need a new pair, but my last pair was something close to $500 between my prescription, the $100 frames, and the Transitions lenses. The Transitions stuff is totally optional; it darkens the lenses in sunlight, so they are sunglasses, when they need to be. For me, wearing my glasses from waking to sleeping, that makes sense, but if you only need yours for computer work/reading/etc, you probably wouldn't want to bother.

Debating getting LASIK, dunno if I should be doing the expensive or cheaper option though. Glasses / Contacts are a bitch for the mobile lifestyle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Your glasses look great, OP. Right fit for your face.

Yes I do!

I'm the one on the right:
    I like your necklace

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I wear corrective lenses always. I do switch between glasses and contacts, depending on what I am doing (driving extended distances is easier with glasses - they don't dry out)

For the glasses I have, I spent ~$150 for the exam and complete pair, ~$70 for a pair of prescription sun glass lenses for an older frame and $120 for contacts.

As an aside: I got the glasses in Japan. They are the LIGHTEST pair of glasses I have ever felt. Quite lovely and can bend quite a bit in the temples, so are even comfortable when I have my headphones on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Debating getting LASIK, dunno if I should be doing the expensive or cheaper option though.
    If we're talking about shooting lasers into your eyeballs, don't cheap out and get the bargain basement treatment, dude.

Debating getting LASIK, dunno if I should be doing the expensive or cheaper option though. Glasses / Contacts are a bitch for the mobile lifestyle.
    A friend of mine got pretty affordable LASIK surgery done, and she now has better than 20/20 vision (whatever that means). You don't have to go all out, but definitely do research and read reviews before you decide on a place, then talk about the price.

I wish I could do LASIK, myself, but my astigmatism is pretty horrendous.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been using glasses for roughly 15 years.

I can't actually understand how the need for glasses appear suddenly out of thin air and surprise you, unless it's some kind of a eye-related accident-trauma-thingy.

Yeah glasses cost a lot, I've bought new glasses roughly every 2-3 years. about 400-500e each. I should buy new ones soon, too. Been thinking about laser surgery option, too.... both my sisters have had their eyes operated and the operations were perfect. Perfect vision, no complications at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Yeah, I hate wearing them though - I'm hoping to save up and get LASIK once I secure a steadier income. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of having a laser shot into my eyes, but contact lenses creep me out and aren't really a viable option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    Yeah, I hate wearing them though - I'm hoping to save up and get LASIK once I secure a steadier income. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of having a laser shot into my eyes, but contact lenses creep me out and aren't really a viable option for me.
    I believe I heard that extended contact use can damage the eyes anyway.

The lasers these days are only a few minutes and you're done. It's pretty uneventful from what I hear from a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If we're talking about shooting lasers into your eyeballs, don't cheap out and get the bargain basement treatment, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    A friend of mine got pretty affordable LASIK surgery done, and she now has better than 20/20 vision (whatever that means). You don't have to go all out, but definitely do research and read reviews before you decide on a place, then talk about the price.

I wish I could do LASIK, myself, but my astigmatism is pretty horrendous.
    I believe they said the cheaper ($1000ish) flattens the cornea making sensitivity to light / haloing a little bit more common. In addition, if you get a touch up in the future (which most never do) it makes it that much more difficult. The more expensive one ($3000ish) keeps the cornea more round. One of my friends had the more expensive version and they love it. Just a lot of money to plop down in a sitting. That and they sell you hard.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-07-31 at 02:06 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A friend of mine got laser eye surgery, he spent a few thousand on it and said he would happily have paid double the price for the difference it made, not only because his sight improved over that when he wore glasses, but also not having to deal with contacts etc, so go for it, but yeah, don't cheap out

OT:I use them, cost me about £50, as I got a £100 voucher thing because of Working Tax Credits I need them for reading, that's it^

Does lasik last forever or can your eyes get all terrible again?

How much does it hurt?

I believe I heard that extended contact use can damage the eyes anyway.

The lasers these days are only a few minutes and you're done. It's pretty uneventful from what I hear from a friend.
    Yeah, I'm just generally uncomfortable with the idea of putting something in my eye. I know some people learn to adapt to their presence but for me it was a case of always knowing that they were there and freaking out - and that was after the often lengthy procedure of actually getting them in to begin with. I'm not generally someone who squirms but one thing that always gets me is the idea of something touching my eyes. Even eye drops are a hassle for me.

I suppose it doesn't help that my eyes are on the large side and so I'd have to get the more expensive and custom tailored contacts made, too. In the case of LASIK the idea freaks me out but it's something I feel I can endure since it's pretty quick and once it's done it's a massive improvement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Does lasik last forever or can your eyes get all terrible again?

How much does it hurt?
    Depends. Some people it lasts forever I think, but my mother has had several rounds of laser stuff and it just keeps going back to being bad again after a few months and now they won't do it any more because they've done it to her too much and there is a risk of damage etc.