10+ Year Old Account

Great Slider Phones?

Yeah, I realize a physical qwerty keyboard is old hat, but I really hate typing on a touch screen, especially when the virtual keyboard is so small. I'm not looking for a small tablet here, just a decent phone that happens to include a slide-out keyboard. My current droid phone (an old optimus) is starting to wear out, and I need to find a cheap-ish replacement when I can afford it in a few weeks. Oh, also, I don't only type on it, but I use the physical keys as controls for emulated games- a,w,x,d, for directions, k,m for action, camera button as shoulder button, etc.

Anyone know any good slider phones that are relatively new and under a couple hundred bucks?

LG Enact and Droid 4 are all I can think of. But you sacrifice so much just for having a physical keyboard...smaller screens usually, weaker processor, less ram.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your cellular carrier, but the LG Enact looks about right.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VS890-enact
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    LG Enact and Droid 4 are all I can think of. But you sacrifice so much just for having a physical keyboard...smaller screens usually, weaker processor, less ram.
    Thanks for the recommendation. In my case however, I would sacrifice the entire device with no physical keyboard, because I wouldn't enjoy using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Depends on your cellular carrier, but the LG Enact looks about right.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VS890-enact
    1.2 gigahertz dual core is pretty good for my purposes. I might have found one that was slightly faster? But it was probably out of my price range.

- - - Updated - - -

And fyi -I use a generic straighttalk plan that is compatible with most phones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. In my case however, I would sacrifice the entire device with no physical keyboard, because I wouldn't enjoy using it.
    Have you considered an add-on keyboard, like this unit?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Have you considered an add-on keyboard, like this unit?
    I had not. That's pretty cool, I'll have to look for one with utility button(s) on the back. Because it's bluetooth, would it drain the batteries faster, eat more cpu throughput?

10+ Year Old Account
    I had not. That's pretty cool, I'll have to look for one with utility button(s) on the back. Because it's bluetooth, would it drain the batteries faster, eat more cpu throughput?
    Not significantly AFAIK. Bluetooth is fairly power efficient. Far more power would go into the cell transceiver set.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I was like you once. I hated the small on screen keyboard of my droid 2. But when i tried swype, it changed my mind. only took a short time getting used to, and ultimately increased texting speed and accuracy. Dunno if you've tried swype yet, but it changed my opinion on the on-screen keyboard, and it opened me up to being able to use superior devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koraak View Post
    I was like you once. I hated the small on screen keyboard of my droid 2. But when i tried swype, it changed my mind. only took a short time getting used to, and ultimately increased texting speed and accuracy. Dunno if you've tried swype yet, but it changed my opinion on the on-screen keyboard, and it opened me up to being able to use superior devices.
    I have swype now in addition to my slider board. I guess I need to further clarify: this isn't to compose short texts to people, it's to do fully-fledged typing and play psx-level games on the fly. For whatever reason, I can type at a regular keyboard speed on the physical qwertys.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-07-31 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

I have swype now in addition to my slider board. I guess I need to further clarify: this isn't to compose short texts to people, it's to do fully-fledged typing and play psx-level games on the fly. For whatever reason, I can type at a regular keyboard on the physical qwertys.
    Trying to play PS1 games on a virtual keypad is a recipe for disaster. I think the bluetooth keyboard would be your best option.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥