Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How to get legend without spending any money and playing 30 minutes per day

Hi

I am Kyraka, I play Hearthstone on EU servers since open beta. I bought with money 80 pack.

I am an average player, I got legend several seasons, highest rank was 96 legend on EU, but usually floating on the bottom end of legend ranks.

At the end of May I started playing on US region. I decided to not spend any money there. For a while I just logged once at 3 days and do the quests. Then I did some arenas to get me started. On average I think I played 2 hours per week. Last season I decided that is time to give it a real try. I bought all Naxx with gold, bought packs from remaining gold then I crafted Leeroy and put together an aggro deck and got legend for the first time on US.

Now, this season I want to try a challenge: Get legend by playing only 30 minutes each day. I am playing each day 30 minutes, record and post to youtube. After first 10 days I am at rank 4 (started at 16 by being legend last season). Here is the playlist with each day of playing, with deck and deck changes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...14YOVpRJJlN5W1

I already got legend on EU few days ago and I really think that it is possible to get it on US by playing only half an hour per day. I want to do this to show that this is not a "pay 2 win" game, neither needs to play as full time job to get legend rank.

I know that my deck will be heavily nerfed in 22 of September. I hope that I will get legend by then, if not I will put together a cheap Paladin aggro deck and continue with that (now is impossible to play aggro paladin due to the huge ammount of hunters that will just lolflare at your secrets)

UPDATE:
    Mission complete

Nerf got me at rank 2. I needed 2 days to grind from rank 2 to legend after nerf, without altering the original deck. (2 days means one hour of play)

Today I managed to reach legend rank. Last game was against Reynad.

In conclusion, me, an average player I managed to hit legend by playing less than 10 hours in a season with a cheap deck and without putting any money in.

Also, I do not have any hero at level 60 (max is 48), I only have 636 wins in total (in 3 seasons of play) and with those stats I got legend rank in last 2 seasons.

I think that this proves the point that is not a pay to win game and also does not require "no lifers" to be able to hit legend.

Last game is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vQ...ature=youtu.be Deck and stats at the end of movie

The entire quest playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...14YOVpRJJlN5W1
    Last edited by kyraka; 2014-09-25 at 11:00 AM.

"How to get legendary spending no money and playing 30 minutes a day."

Step 1. Roll hunter
    Step 2. ???
    Step 3. Profit.

Have fun after the 22nd.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kyraka View Post
    I am an average player, I got legend several seasons, highest rank was 96 legend on EU, but usually floating on the bottom end of legend ranks.
    The average player doesn't get anywhere near legend, just fyi.

Also, hunters are really overpowered right now, so I'm not surprised..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    The average player doesn't get anywhere near legend, just fyi.

Also, hunters are really overpowered right now, so I'm not surprised..
    I'd put "average" at about rank 12, truthfully.

10 and under is where it starts getting real dicey.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Amazed that you managed to get legendary tbh

People bringing all the friendly posts I see rather than pissing on someone's parade with condescension .

GZ on making Legendary OP and I hope you make your current goal.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2014-09-13 at 02:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    People bringing all the friendly posts I see rather than pissing on someone's parade with condescension .

GZ on making Legendary OP and I hope you make your current goal.
    No pissing on the parade, more a clarification that "average player" and "legend rank" don't really fit together =)

Legend rank = more than above average

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    No pissing on the parade, more a clarification that "average player" and "legend rank" don't really fit together =)

Wasn't talking about your post. Sorry if you were caught in the crossfire.

10+ Year Old Account

Somewhere between 10 and 15 is average I'd say, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Wasn't talking about your post. Sorry if you were caught in the crossfire.
    I didn't mean to come across as condescending, but I will agree that my post could come across that way.

Deleted
    About top 0.05%? I don't know how many reach legend, but I don't think more than 10000 are there, and HS had 10 mln players back in March.

I would consider myself an average player because I don't care toooo much about HS, I love to play it sometimes (or: several days a week) and I would say that I am capable of making quite okay decisions regarding plays. I tend to end up at rougly rank 12 at the end of each season, so yes, I would totally agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    "How to get legendary spending no money and playing 30 minutes a day."

Step 1. Roll hunter
    Step 2. ???
    Step 3. Profit.

Have fun after the 22nd.
    agreed. i played a hunter today and got 3 wins in less than 15 minutes. meanwhile my priest struggles to get anywhere.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Seems like as time goes by and folks get better, player skill < time played. People are much much better at this game than they used to be, I think the "average" skilled player eventually will not be able to get past rank 12 at all without lots of time spent. The OP is obviously a very skilled player so time isn't as much of a factor. I know I certainly couldn't make legendary playing only 30 minutes a day lol. If I wanted to get to legendary I would have to invest a serious amount of time to accommodate my lack of skill. With all that said, if the OP can reach legend rank playing only 30 min a day and a cheap deck, then that proves beyond all doubt that skill>luck and you don't have to pay to win. You just have to be really freakin' good.

30 min a day -> 900 minutes in a season -> anywhere from 90 to 180 games.

Lets say you pick a fast deck, 5 min average games = 180 games in a season. You need somewhere around 60 or 70 more wins than losses starting at rank 16 to legend, so you're looking at a 125 - 55 win record for the season.

Not too shabby, but not horrendously difficult either. It's a good challenge, I think, for someone who's hit legendary once or twice before.

For reference, I believe Trump's FTP warlock hit legend in 186 games, but he restricted himself to rares and below even if he got an epic or legendary.

Deleted
    Play zoo like most other scrubs, jump on them bandwagons

Somewhere between 10 and 15 is average I'd say, yeah.
    There is no way an average player will reach rank 10 or even 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdumb View Post
    Play zoo like most other scrubs, jump on them bandwagons
    Why so much hate? I took a challenge and wanted to show if it I can get legend by playing 30 minutes a day with a cheap deck. As I said, If I do not get it until 22 (not very likely because I am stucked at rank 3 now), I will try an aggro paladin deck. No need for hate, it is a game, should be fun.

Also, about considering myself as average player, I consider top players the top 10 legend, good players top 100 and rest of the legend average. I managed to get only once in top 100 and now I am stucked on EU around 300, so I can't say that I am good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    You need ~40% win ratio to get to rank 5 (win 4, loose 5 and you advance)
    Last edited by kyraka; 2014-09-17 at 05:41 PM.
    Here is the link to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/lobostarc/videos

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're counting the people who only play casual/arena, then I'll agree with you, but the average ranked player needs ~50% winrate to get there (You can get there with less if you get winstreaks). And at rank 15, the competition isn't even that hard in my opinion, I'm still playing joke decks there.

15+ Year Old Account
    The "average player" is decently good but not great. 10-15 is a solid hangout for them.

The people who can only dream of rank 15 aren't "average". They are "bad" (or new).

Thinking about it, i don't believe the rankings can really determine a players skill. I would classify skill levels as such

Poor - Doesn't plan ahead. Has no idea why they've lost a game.
    Average - Plans ahead to a degree. Able to tell at what point they lost a game and determine what they could have done different
    Good - Plans ahead several moves, able to make the best possible decision to apply to the likely outcome. Able to tell DURING the game that they have lost.

If we're counting the people who only play casual/arena, then I'll agree with you, but the average ranked player needs ~50% winrate to get there (You can get there with less if you get winstreaks). And at rank 15, the competition isn't even that hard in my opinion, I'm still playing joke decks there.
    Case in point, I've never played against Mehman but i'm pretty sure they're better at this game than I. Yet, I'm well past rank 15 right now. Reasons could include better RNG with match ups, better RNG with card draw, or more time spent playing.

(This also could possibly be linked to Mehman's preference for granny smith apples over Fuji apples when Fuji apples clearly have a higher concentration of catechins)