Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    The mother and the father cant possibly be held responsible for taking care of the baby as they both requested for an abortion, which was declined on a personal reason of the employee. However full price for the delivery should still be paid to the employee, as the mother and the father both got a baby, which is what they paid for.

Of course most things on this case depend on details of the contract, whether it allows an option for the parents to request an abortion for certain reasons or no reason at all, if the deal was only for one baby, or all possible babies, and if there are any exceptions for when/if problems occur.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't abortion be something that is on the sole discretion of the biological mother, at least on most countries?
    Last edited by mmoc868d8cd30e; 2014-08-01 at 12:28 PM.

I don't know why people are so shocked or surprised by this, people have be abandoning babies with Down's for centuries. Leaving them to be raised in orphanages, group homes, "training schools", or places for "imbeciles". If the family had just taken the baby and quickly put it up for adoption we would never even know about them. It is the fault of the family for not making sure that being able to call for an abortion if a defect was found, was an option. With that they need to be responsible for either taking the care and caring it or putting it up for adoption. It is not the responsibility of the Thai woman or agency to do so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Can't have abortion because of religion but growing a baby inside yourself and selling it is ok.
    Yeah, that kind of ticks me off as well.
    Not the anti-abortion religious part, the one where she's a religious woman that thought was ok to sell her vajayjay.

Quote Originally Posted by Demez View Post
    The mother and the father cant possibly be held responsible for taking care of the baby as they both requested for an abortion, which was declined on a personal reason of the employee. However full price for the delivery should still be paid to the employee, as the mother and the father both got a baby, which is what they paid for.

Of course most things on this case depend on details of the contract, whether it allows an option for the parents to request an abortion for certain reasons or no reason at all, if the deal was only for one baby, or all possible babies, and if there are any exceptions for when/if problems occur.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't abortion be something that is on the sole discretion of the biological mother, at least on most countries?
    Even if it was an employee and we are talking about a "product":
    - both the egg and the sperm was from the Australian couple. Downs comes from a hereditary mistake I think. So the mistake in the genes came from their side. It also means that the Thai lady didn't deliver a product but a service technically.
    - just like a father cannot have a mother undergo an abortion, nobody else can do this. You cannot make anybody undergo a medical procedure.

Parents all over the world terminate babies with Down Syndrome, or give them up for adoption because they don't want to deal with the situation. I don't see how this is really that different, or even news worthy to be honest.

Some find it disgusting, others find it uncomfortable but accept they'd probably do the same, while others would love the child either way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Not the anti-abortion religious part, the one where she's a religious woman that thought was ok to sell her vajayjay.
    Except the bible itself has surrogacy in the genesis. Abraham, Sarah and Hagar - although I doubt much money was exchanged there, if I'm not mistaken.

I could be, it's been a few decades since I actually read any of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Regardless, assuming the contract has been honored throughout, this is what happens when amateurs write contracts (yes, run-of-the-mill lawyers included).

Human trafficking is illegal, and without delving further into the subject, might even be a crime against humanity. Surrogacy is about renting space, not selling humans. Besides, the child(ren) never belongs to a surrogate in the first place.
    Are you saying she didn't grow a child inside herself for monetary gains?

"Oh yea, you had a twin brother. Boy wait till you hear how your good ol' mom and dad handled that one."

Fuck, can my opinion of humanity get any lower? Thank you Australia, at least you are giving the US a run for its money.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    "Oh yea, you had a twin brother. Boy wait till you hear how your good ol' mom and dad handled that one."

Fuck, can my opinion of humanity get any lower? Thank you Australia, at least you are giving the US a run for its money.
    It's a delicate situation, not black and white. What they did was well within their rights (I presume), but you disagree with them which is fine. I don't personally know how I'd handle having a child with a severe disorder, I doubt it'd want them gone, but I'd also be overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by boccko View Post
    I don't mind at all if religious people suffer because of their religion. In today's society they are presented with all the necessary information to make an educated choice about it. The couple's fault in this case is they didn't consult with the surrogate mother about her stance on abortion before initiating the pregnancy. Also, I think aborting a child with a high chance of Down's is the right choice.
    I guess it was ok for the Jews to have suffered in Germany during the reign of the Nazis. I guess it was fine for the early Christians to suffer at the hands of the Romans

why don't you ask someone with down syndrome would it have been the right choice if they was aborted

10+ Year Old Account
    Threads about religion, abortion, and the mentally handicapped never end well.

Closing.