Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    What's kind of surprising is that in this outbreak the survival rate has been significantly higher than it usually is for ebola - something like a 60% death rate instead of a 90% one.

I'm not sure the medical aid has much to do with that because of the nature of ebola, but it's maybe just a very slightly less fatal strain.
    There's not just 1 type of Ebola, there are numerous types. Some have 90% mortality rates and others are far lower, but the majority have this higher percentage.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    It's not airborne, it's easy to quarantine in countries that actually have the right medical expertise and infrastructure, and it's already been confirmed that 1 person carrying ebola flew on a large commercial airplane and not 1 single other passenger got the virus because you have to come into direct contact with bodily fluids. That being said it IS in the news and it is being covered pretty extensively at least here so I don't know why you think no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    It's not airborne, it's easy to quarantine in countries that actually have the right medical expertise and infrastructure, and it's already been confirmed that 1 person carrying ebola flew on a large commercial airplane and not 1 single other passenger got the virus because you have to come into direct contact with bodily fluids. That being said it IS in the news and it is being covered pretty extensively at least here so I don't know why you think no one cares.
    Supposedly there is an airborne strain, but it's not this one so yeah.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    Not incredibly concerned since I don't live in a fucked up third world country like Africa. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how I feel about this issue.
    you remind of that guy that said he didn't like MoP's japan theme.. but then anyone who's a fan of Stalin is not engaging their grey matter at all.

- - - Updated - - -

that coverage only started this week, it's what had gone on before, that seemed soo.. slack

Deleted
    Part of the problem is the people trying to "take care" of their ill relative. When it comes to this kind of illness you need to stay well clear of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    that coverage only started this week, it's what had gone on before, that seemed soo.. slack
    Its been in the news for over a month..

i bet there's a medical cure available, and this was all engineered to create a pacnic that will result in millions buying this new cure .. after they let a few million africans die first.

get better news :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ogedai View Post
    Part of the problem is the people trying to "take care" of their ill relative. When it comes to this kind of illness you need to stay well clear of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Its been in the news for over a month..
    maybe where you are, but where I am, they only started talking about it seriously this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    get better news :P
    Al-jazeera? - they just crap over Israel night and day, slandering jews, and promoting Muslim Brotherhood agenda and propaganda, so i don't watch it cos it makes me so angry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not airborne, easy to quarantine and it kills fast. I am not worried at this point.

Deleted
    i bet there's a medical cure available, and this was all engineered to create a pacnic that will result in millions buying this new cure .. after they let a few million africans die first.
    You bet very very wrong... nice conspiracy theory though

maybe where you are, but where I am, they only started talking about it seriously this week.
    Try reading the international news then rather than your local paper...

Al-jazeera? - they just crap over Israel night and day, slandering jews, and promoting Muslim Brotherhood agenda and propaganda, so i don't watch it cos it makes me so angry.
    whaaaaaaat the actual fuck.

You bet very very wrong... nice conspiracy theory though

Try reading the international news then rather than your local paper...
    Evening Standard? Daily Mirror? The Sun?

Observe/Gaurdian/Times/Independence - sky news, BBC news, , we're supposed to be nationally international, a world class city/nation, stuf fliek that should ahve been way up there on the news.

- - - Updated - - -

whaaaaaaat the actual fuck.
    you said
    get better news
    , i'm like "what better news? Al-Jazeera?" - already get the usual British and U.S news outlets, the only one outside that box that's in English is Al'JAzeera, catering to Europes large muslim population

Deleted

Observe/Gaurdian/Times/Independence - sky news, BBC news, , we're supposed to be nationally international, a world class city/nation, stuf fliek that should ahve been way up there on the news.

- - - Updated - - -

you said get better news, i'm like "what better news? Al-Jazeera?" - already get the usual British and U.S news outlets, the only one outside that box that's in English is Al'JAzeera, catering to Europes large muslim population
    Its been all over the BBC.. and the the independent (the paper version at least) also been covered on sky news too.

difficulty is getting good info as no journalist in their right mind will go anywhere near there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is not really a risk in western countries because:

1) We have better health organizations.
    2) Better sanitation of our sewage.
    3) Most people that understand you do not touch people bleeding out of their orifices.

Ebola is also a fast killer which minimizes exposure.

You do not see people with ebola walking around the office bleeding on the coffee maker. You do see people walking around with a cold, sneezing and then touching stuff that other people touch.
    Ebola can spread via sweat. also it has about a 2week incubation period where you will have "cold like symptoms" Most dont know they have it untill its way too late.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    snip
    Not really sure why your linking me this as it does prove my point...

This means there's usually a clue that someone might be contagious — such as fever, aches, or diarrhea. These early clues can be confusing, however, because they often look like other things: namely the flu and other diarrhea illnesses
    see above cold like symptoms..

In order to catch Ebola, you have to touch the bodily fluids (such as sweat,.....
    again....

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

you said , i'm like "what better news? Al-Jazeera?" - already get the usual British and U.S news outlets, the only one outside that box that's in English is Al'JAzeera, catering to Europes large muslim population
    Ebola in itself isn't big news. It wasn't big news until it started hitting hundreds of people dead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_v...e#Epidemiology
    Big news isn't going to put a lot of coverage into something that happens fairly frequently, until it was known that this one had spread a lot further than usual. That's why you've seen the news coverage increase in the last few weeks - because that's when the death toll started mounting.

Ebola can spread via sweat. also it has about a 2week incubation period where you will have "cold like symptoms" Most dont know they have it untill its way too late.
    and considering last week and the week before no one was checking anyone on fliights, and news corps weren't saying anything then

remmeber, i know people who flew in from there last week and teh week before, no checks, no quarantine, no nothing, if in fection spread, they'd start showing symptoms next week and the week after, and it would seem like a normal cold, - giving them plenty of opportunity to pass it on, before ti is realized it is Ebola.

Deleted
    and considering last week and the week before no one was checking anyone on fliights, and news corps weren't saying anything then

remmeber, i know people who flew in from there last week and teh week before, no checks, no quarantine, no nothing, if in fection spread, they'd start showing symptoms next week and the week after, and it would seem like a normal cold, - giving them plenty of opportunity to pass it on, before ti is realized it is Ebola.
    Well you are only massively contagious ones its manifested itself. Also unless they have been in the specific area its not likely they will have contracted it. Its probably all started from someone not cooking their bat meat properly or something.

We also quarantined a few athletes from sierra leonne (spellling) in glasgow this week to be safe after they were ill. Oddly enough though none of them want to go home yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so Ebola is out there but what do you want the average citizen to do? How to you expect people to reach? Should society stop, should we all board up our homes? Should keep our distance from strangers and not come outside? Completely stop trade and close all borders? Run emergency broadcast around the clock?

Nothing has reached "the sky is falling" level yet so relax. People aren't ignoring Ebola, there is nothing get too upset over except for those who were/are unfortunate enough to have contracted it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    Not incredibly concerned since I don't live in a fucked up third world country like Africa. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how I feel about this issue.
    The Aztecs didn't live in the developed Europe, but they all did due to Spanish fever.

Do you think you're immune to diseases in Africa because you don't live there?

Also, using third world... come on man
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.