Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Theory about something in Harry Potter

So I was re-reading the series today, and something caught my eye. In the early books people are constantly talking mad smack at Neville for being a shitty wizard, but then you get to book five; and then you see that he has been using his DADS WAND. It gets ruined in that book, and from that point on he gets his own wand, and he is no longer considered a poor wizard, actually quite skilled.

Now why does this matter? Because in the books, it is firmly established that the "Wand chooses the Wizard". This is carried over in the movies, when Draco Malfoy attempts to use his mothers wand in order to corner Harry in the room of requirement, and comments on how it does not work right for him.

It is also in the last book, when Harry has to use the blackthorn wand that Ron obtained from a snatcher.

Basically, if you are using a wand that does not choose you, it will feel wrong, and perform extremely subpar. Neville, up til the sixth book, was using a wand that did not choose him; he just inherited it from his father.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't read the books in many years, but I'm pretty sure Neville had self esteem issues in the beginning because he was being made fun of. Later, he got more confident because of his actions helping HP, he "git gud".

The wand might have helped him become better, but I seriously doubt it was the catalyst.

Deleted
    Why don't they just grab an AK and blow Voldemort away?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    Why don't they just grab an AK and blow Voldemort away?
    Cause using "muggle" weapons is forbidden, even if they are much more effective

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Cause using "muggle" weapons is forbidden, even if they are much more effective
    a situation like that never came up for all we know a good wizard could just make the gun or bullets turn to dust and we see wizards deflecting spells that travel who knows how fast then we have that disarming spell it's just a mess we shall never know
    Last edited by smackyslap; 2014-08-02 at 12:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ron used Charlie's old wand for the first two books, and he was never considered a shitty wizard. I just think that Neville wasn't very confident until they started DA.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    a situation like that never came up for all we know a good wizard could just make the gun or bullets turn to dust and we see wizards deflecting spells that travel who knows how fast then we have that disarming spell it's just a mess we shall never know
    True but it seems magic is very much tied to the reaction time of the wizard and the speed at which he speaks the magic words. A bullet will hit him much sooner than he finishes speaking. If it's at close range and unexpected, he won't even have time to point the wand.

True but it seems magic is very much tied to the reaction time of the wizard and the speed at which he speaks the magic words. A bullet will hit him much sooner than he finishes speaking.
    So long since i read the books or watched the movies, but wasn´t that just the children ? pretty sure every one the older wizards both good and bad used magic without using words.

Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    Ron used Charlie's old wand for the first two books, and he was never considered a shitty wizard. I just think that Neville wasn't very confident until they started DA.
    Ron also doesn't do that well in the first two books, actually. In all the example classes in the book, he flails around and can't get anything right. It isn't until the third book he manages something correct. Particularly his second year is a nightmare because his wand snaps in two.

Stuff like this, by the way, is why I love Harry Potter. It's so detailed and yet so consistent. There are only a couple of retcons here and there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    So long since i read the books or watched the movies, but wasn´t that just the children ? pretty sure every one the older wizards both good and bad used magic without using words.
    No. Everyone used words for most spells. Even Voldemort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJs3kDxpHxA

No. Everyone used words for most spells. Even Voldemort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJs3kDxpHxA
    Since in the first movie Harry even used magic without a wand with that snake in a cage.

Casting spells without words is a skill introduced in the 6th book that requires more effort than casting it normally.
    Last edited by Raven; 2014-08-02 at 12:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    IN the books inaubile spells are extremely rare, used by higher level students/wizards. In the movies they are extremely common.

The "Children using magic without wand" thing is based on strong emotions/no control.

I know it was part confidence, but I think a lot of it was the wand.
    You're a towel.

The real advantage of a gun would be the element of surprise. Instead of trying to fight from close range to make the shot difficult to dodge or deflect, an optimal strategy would be to shoot from extreme range. A sniper bullet from a mile away wouldn't be heard or seen before it hits the target. If you want to blow Voldemort's head off, snipe him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Since in the first movie Harry even used magic without a wand with that snake in a cage.

Casting spells without words is a skill introduced in the 6th book that requires more effort than casting it normally.
    Guessing really simple spells don't require wording. I think Hagrid didn't use words when he made a pig tail appear on Harry's step brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    IN the books inaubile spells are extremely rare, used by higher level students/wizards. In the movies they are extremely common.

The "Children using magic without wand" thing is based on strong emotions/no control.

I know it was part confidence, but I think a lot of it was the wand.
    And then you have this guy, who was probably just a throw-away background character, but about whom fan speculation abounds.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The real advantage of a gun would be the element of surprise. Instead of trying to fight from close range to make the shot difficult to dodge or deflect, an optimal strategy would be to shoot from extreme range. A sniper bullet from a mile away wouldn't be heard or seen before it hits the target. If you want to blow Voldemort's head off, snipe him.
    Yep, bullets can be stopped mid-air with a Stupefy spell, as well as magic shields being raised against guns. But all this requires preparation or at least knowing about them a few seconds in advance, it won't work to counter a surprise attack.

There's also the fact that destroying Voldemort's body doesn't do you any particular good, and the Horcruxes are reinforced against everything except very specific methods of attack.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wand in the left hand, gun in the right. BLAM BLAM BLAM, deflect spell deflect spell deflect spell.
    Like a good fire will contain more than one wood; an effective Auror should have both wizard and muggle technology at his command

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    There's also the fact that destroying Voldemort's body doesn't do you any particular good, and the Horcruxes are reinforced against everything except very specific methods of attack.
    Being fair, Voldemort could have chosen better Horcruxes. /facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    As far as I understood, Voldemort can be killed as he's not a wraith, it's just that until the horcruxes are destroyed he can be resurrected by his servants over and over.

We should obviously teach goblins how to make modern mugle arms.