Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    how is it stupid? He didnt ask "why consoles are not backwards compatible" ,merely if it bothers us.
    To answer your question OP, yes,yes it does. I have all of my old consoles working,but who knows for how long. They also take a lot of space,and what makes me angry the most is that companies instead of giving us backwards compatibility try to sale the same old games to us over and over again by remastering them

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Djinn View Post
    how is it stupid? He didnt ask "why consoles are not backwards compatible" ,merely if it bothers us.
    Did it bother you that the entry point to buy a ps3 was $600 partly thinks to having to have a damn emotion chip(which still costed them $80 to manufacture in 2006) inside the damn thing?

If you already owned a ps2 all the damn thing did is help jack up the price that was already absurd because blue ray hardware was still in it's infancy.

People are claiming it's as simple as emulating, it's not. Ask MS, they tried that on the 360. Most Xbox games that actually DO work on the 360 emulation run like crap with fps dips down into the single digits.

Deleted
    i still have a few ps1 games that I play on my ps2 , I used to have a 60gig ps3 which was backward compatible , then it died on me , now got a replacement one but ofc its not backward compatible , I think its a mistake for sony not to have made the ps4 at least be able to play ps3 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I won't buy a non backwards compatible console. It's a waste of money

PC is always backwards compatible even if you have to use certain software for some games.

Hell with emulation I can play most console games from previous generations. And use any bloody controller I want. Consoles by comparison that AREN'T backwards compatible are a terrible investment.

This exactly.

The last console I purchased was a gamecube... which I got for christmas like 10 years ago.

May consider getting one of these new DS's that nintendo has, just to play the remake of Pokemon Ruby :<

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Apparently my 64 bit Windows is perfectly capable of running programs designed for 32bit.

When I'm paying $400+ for a console, they can get off their asses and include backwards compatibility.
    So what you are saying is that you actually have no idea how consoles work. Gotcha.

See, the reason consoles (especially most older generation ones) work is because everything in them is custom designed hardware. Custom Sound Chips Custom Video Chips, Custom Processors. Consoles are NOT PCs. They do not have a standard "operating system" or software layer that communicates between the hardware components and the software components.

Your windows games work on just about any hardware because of Windows. Things like Direct X and Video Card drivers and Sound Card Drivers act as interpreters let your Software to talk to the hardware.

90% of consoles do not have this. The software is designed from the ground up to talk DIRECTLY to the hardware, and pretty much everything Pre PS3 generation ran on extremely custom designed chips. The Reason the vast majority of console systems are not backwards compatable is directly because of this. A PS4 has completely new hardware, different chip archetecture, the whole 9 yards from a PS3. If you just stick a PS3 game in a PS4, the PS4 isnt going to know what the hell to do with it, because the PS3 game is attempting to talk to hardware that does not exist there.

Hell, I think one of the Sega Systems (saturn maybe?) still has never been 100% successfully emulated because the emulation community has still never managed to fully reverse engineer its internal chipsets (it had, i believe, multiple independant video chipsets, which made it major bitch to figure out, even for people with actual dev kits)

If i am not mistaken, the only reason the original PS3 was actually backwards compatable with many PS2 games is because it actually had some of the old PS2 chips in it to act as interpreters. In most modern systems, as far as I am aware, Backwards compatability is basicly achieved by either re-compiling the game using the new devkit and hopeing it doesnt break, or running some form of software emulation in the background.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2014-08-03 at 09:38 AM.

While it would be cool for the novelty factor, there isnt one game i would want to play from the last gen.

Once i finish a game thats it. I like to spend my time and see everything the game has to offer the first time.

Why go back?

I personally accept it, but it normally results me to not buy the console until years after release. The lack of backwards compatibility means I have to keep the old console and keep the new one as a dust collector until it gets out of it's drought launch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    While it would be cool for the novelty factor, there isnt one game i would want to play from the last gen.

Once i finish a game thats it. I like to spend my time and see everything the game has to offer the first time.

Why go back?
    For games you didn't play? The ps2 has tons of great rpg's that i'd love to play if my version of the ps3 was backwards compatible

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, that's what emulators are for (which are completely legal if you are using them to play games you own.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Not really, that's what emulators are for (which are completely legal if you are using them to play games you own.)
    I think it's a legal grey area, as you have to physically use that disc and rip the content personally to use it (Last I checked on it anyways). But no company is going to personally come after you to learn that, honestly. Regardless, yeah -- Emulators are a thing and they probably will continue to be a thing. If not, than yes it will be an issue when it comes to backwards compatibility.

I think Sony is doing some kind of digital backwards compatibility, like how the virtual console for the Wii and Wii-U work I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Only problem with emulation is it takes a lot of computer power since you are essentially emulating hardware with them, i.e anything newer than the gamecube or Wii as an example is going to take a decent rig to be able to achieve playable framerates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Only problem with emulation is it takes a lot of computer power since you are essentially emulating hardware with them, i.e anything newer than the gamecube or Wii as an example is going to take a decent rig to be able to achieve playable framerates.
    True, I guess I should have mentioned that's just my personal feelings since my PC can handle them fine.

It's worse than you think. As I said, the older consoles use powerPC and the newer use AMD64. An emulator has to emulate not only the hardware but the CPU instruction set itself. This is slow beyond anything you can imagine. Both PS2 and PS3 had a RISC architecture, PS4 doesn't.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-08-03 at 11:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still havn't bought a WiiU, XB1 or PS4. I have to many games to for the other consoles & I like to play them.

It really bothers me that spending all that money & can't play my games. Like I sold my PS2 for PS3 & was able to play all of my games still.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

it is why my newest console is the PS2. It was one of the best parts of the playstation 2. And I am glad that it is, because my Playstation broke, which makes me sad. and it is rather difficult trying to obtain a PS1 for a reasonable price. Same with working systems from from anything prior to the most recent generations, same with any games.

I would love to be able to play the older games I have on a newer system, without having to purchase them in a virtual marketplace. I absolutely hate digital versions of games, and prefer to have the physical disk and box. Also, bookshelves full of games is more impressive to see than a measely list on some game launcher like Steam or Origin, or even just a desktop icon. I want a tangible proof that I have a game, something that I can hold in my hands. But I am going rather offtopic.

So yes, I do hate that consoles aren't backward compatible. But it wouldn't bother me nearly as much if I was always able to obtain a working console to play any games I have. really wish I could play my NES games on a real NES console, and wish I could get SNES and Genesis games and console and experience the games that I never got to play because I never had a 16-bit console.

yeah its part of the reason i no longer buy consoles tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    As the title says. Sigh it's been really getting to me because there's so much stuff I want to try on PS2.
    Then get PCSX2. Your PC's DVD drive should read the PS2 discs and let you play.

It's a weak point on consoles. Currently planning out my Steam Machine so I can play some of the older games in my steam library on the couch.

For this gen though, I actually prefered they skipped on backwards compatibility since it would have hiked up the price. The goal of consoles now is to be able to play the latest games while not having to shell out $800+ on a PC system. I have one for exclusives and couch play.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Lack of backwards compatibility is why I stopped buying consoles.
    This.

It angers me that they removed this feature, when the hardware is capable of running older, less hardware-intensive games easily.

I'm PC exclusive now, because I got sick of having 5 consoles to swap around to a Flatscreen with only 3 inputs.

There's also the rats nest of tangled ugly cords you inevitably end up dealing with.

I can't see the logic in NOT having such a great selling feature like backwards-compatibility.....

Deleted
    No, because my last Console was a N64. Since then PC only, which is perfetly backwards compatible. You can play Games from 1990...