Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    As the title says. Sigh it's been really getting to me because there's so much stuff I want to try on PS2.
    It is a frustrating problem, but only really noticeable at the very end/beginning of a console cycle where the old console's games are still popular and have a lot of life left in them but the new console cannot play them. I ran into this problem with Dark Souls 2, Borderlands 2.5 and GTAV which were brand new games for the 360 but were not compatible with the One and were also not available for the One as One ports.

Some games I would gladly buy again or spend an extra ten bucks for new were they to become available on the new consoles. Alas, there has been no attempt by either company to alleviate that issue. (With the exception of a select few games on the PSN for the PS4 like darksouls 2.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Extremely. I was glad that my PS3 could play PS2 games, until the fucking thing broke and I had to get a slim, which isn't backwards compatible. The same thing happened with the 360, the first (fat) versions could play Xbox games, but the new slim ones can't. I'd bet money the PS4/XB1 can't play PS3/360 games either.

Sigh. I'm running out of room in my entertainment center for all these damned consoles.
    Sadly, this isn't the case for all xbox games, take Bauler's Gate: Dark Alliance II, I can play that with no problems on my xbox 360, but not the first one unless I go and get the USA import version. Same with my copy of TimeSplitters 2 or Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, I sadly can't play them on my 360.

OT: Yes, it is disappointing
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right, which is a software issue. They have to create an emulator that allows the old software to run on the new hardware. How is this complicated to understand? If it was a hardware issue the hardware would be fundamentally unable to run the games due to limitations. That's not the case, the hardware can run the games fine.
    How is it a software issue if the guys that made the architecture chose different Opcodes, different amount of registers (and this one is also a massive problem) and system calls with different names/parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    How is it a software issue if the guys that made the architecture chose different Opcodes, different amount of registers (and this one is also a massive problem) and system calls with different names/parameters?
    He is technically correct. Yes, the hardware is not capable of interpreting the software's instructions correctly, but as he said, that can befixed with emulators. It would only be a full hardware issue if the hardware was physically incabable of preforming nessicary actions, regardless of what kind of emulator you used. If the game required 8 megs of memory, and the hardware only has 4, it would pretty much be physically impossible to emulate the game on that hardware. Likewise if the game runs in 64 bit color and the hardware is physically only capable of 32 bit color, you are never going to get a 100% faithful emulation out of the hardware.

A ps4 is 100% hardware capable of playing pretty much anything released on a PS2, you just need to fix the software so it can poperly talk to the new hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually planning on buying the Wii U, but after I heard that it's not backwards compatible with GC games it kinda put me off.

It is logical though. Trying to stay backwards compatible could cost you performance and/or game quality. It'd be stupid to still have the gameboy cartridge thingy on a 3DS when only the minority of those who have the 3DS even still have gameboy games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Consoles being made by greedy arseholes is the reason I stopped after the last generation. No backwards compatability / games being made exclusively for 1 console / extorting money out of you any way they can / horrible customer support, I could go on. There is absolutely no benefit to owning a console over a PC.
    Yup, tack it on to the fact that if you wait 6mo to a year the, if the game was any good it will be out on PC.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    He is technically correct. Yes, the hardware is not capable of interpreting the software's instructions correctly, but as he said, that can befixed with emulators. It would only be a full hardware issue if the hardware was physically incabable of preforming nessicary actions, regardless of what kind of emulator you used. If the game required 8 megs of memory, and the hardware only has 4, it would pretty much be physically impossible to emulate the game on that hardware. Likewise if the game runs in 64 bit color and the hardware is physically only capable of 32 bit color, you are never going to get a 100% faithful emulation out of the hardware.

A ps4 is 100% hardware capable of playing pretty much anything released on a PS2, you just need to fix the software so it can poperly talk to the new hardware.
    Yes but then players would want good fps which I doubt that they'd be able to do with the hardware hence it'd become a hardware issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crying about not being backwards compatible just shows ignorance of the hardware.

The PS4 is better off being an x86 AMD APU based machine, then Sony trying to create a new custom PowerPC chip that could maintain backwards compatibility. Performance, Cost, Supply, Ease of Development & Developer Support... all improved by this change in architecture.

Maintaining backwards compatibility creates worse machines.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Crying about not being backwards compatible just shows ignorance of the hardware.

The PS4 is better off being an x86 AMD APU based machine, then Sony trying to create a new custom PowerPC chip that could maintain backwards compatibility. Performance, Cost, Supply, Ease of Development & Developer Support... all improved by this change in architecture.

Maintaining backwards compatibility creates worse machines.
    This. And x86 is a horrible architecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    This. And x86 is a horrible architecture.
    Not when you are using it for all major gaming platforms! Ease of development ftw.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Not when you are using it for all major gaming platforms! Ease of development ftw.
    Oh no, I meant if you program closer to the hardware it has its many issues like it's miserable amount of registers. But since it's rare for games (nowadays) to be programmed in Assembly language then it's a great thing. Specially because of it's compatibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. I liked how my first gen PS3 could play all my PS2 games, but it cost me a pretty penny. I recently bought another PS3 so I could play Demon's Souls and FF13 since my old PS3 bit the dust, and I would have liked to just buy a PS4, since there are games I'm interested in that are releasing for it (Bloodborne!).

Overall, it's not a terrible loss. If they offer it (Wii U) cool, I'll take advantage of it. If not, whatever, I'm not going to cry about it.

Who needs backward comp when you got this http://i.imgur.com/HBc7167.jpg

Not really tired of this, I've kept every console I've ever bought, luckily the playstation's have used the same Video output cord(i think?) so there isn't a lot of moving around for cords.

But with the mentality that they should be backwards compatable kinda lends the question Why can't these PS3 games just work on my PS2 ,at a lower graphics setting say, if the PS3 can play PS2 games also.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Actually, the old consoles were mostly backwards compatible. Especially the old Ataris. Heck, the controllers were cross-platform compatible, and you could use a Mega Drive pad on an Atari 2600!
    What? The Atari 5200 had no backwards compatible build in. The Atari 7800 also could only play most of the atari 2600 games and no 5200 games.No need to talk about the jaguar. Nintendos old consoles weren't backwards compatible at all and the only sega console with backwards compatibility the Saturn needed a powerbase converter. So which backwards compatible consoles do you mean? The only real backwards compatible console was the PS2.

No because I don't buy next gen consoles to play old games. If I want to play my PS3 games I'll turn on my PS3.

Deleted
    No, I only play on PC - the best Gamingsystem out there.