Building my first computer

It's been about 5 years since I bought my last computer from the store. Since then I have upgraded the power supply and graphics card. Looking for a new build that may hopefully last another five years.

Budget: Willing to spend up to 1,000$, max $1300

Resolution:1920x 1080

Games / Settings Desired: would ideally like to play Dragon Age: Inquisition on high settings.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): no

Parts that can be reused: Radeon 6870 Black Edition. Asus VE248H. 650v power supply

Do you need an OS?:yes, I think I can get one through my university. Not sure though.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? no.

Deleted
    See if you might be able to sell your old GPU perhaps? If so I suggest the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($78.30 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $1017.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-03 18:54 EDT-0400

If you like you could spend a little extra on some nicer cooling for the CPU:

Corsair H60 All In One liquid $58
    NZXT HAVIK 140 (air) $61

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    See if you might be able to sell your old GPU perhaps? If so I suggest the following:
    I'm pretty new to this stuff... but GPU = Graphics card? So like sell on amazon or how do you figure.

Deleted
    Yes, Video/graphics card. I'm just saying you could sell your Radeon 6870 Black Edition on Ebay, Craigslist etc. or you could skip the AMD R9 290 in my build suggestion and just see how your current card will work for you, it's just pretty old and the 290 fits in the budget.

6870's seem to be going for around $60-90 on Ebay and that extra wouldn't hurt going towards other components(like the GPU), though I do agree that you should just try it and see if you still like it and if not, go with a newer card.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Okay i'll keep that in mind