Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[ANIME] Studio Ghibli (possibly) shutting down

So apparently the rumors coming out of Japan that Studio Ghibli is shutting down are true. They will no longer be producing anymore animated features and only managing their trademarks. After Hayao Miyazaki announced he was going to retire there was some hope they might continue but they made the official announcement today.
    Here's a link to an article discussing it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121379

10+ Year Old Account
    Such terrible news. It really is a dark day in the world of Anime.

Does this mean no Ni No Kuni 2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Did they animate any major players?
    Ever heard of Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totoro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post
    So apparently the rumors coming out of Japan that Studio Ghibli is shutting down are true. They will no longer be producing anymore animated features and only managing their trademarks. After Hayao Miyazaki announced he was going to retire there was some hope they might continue but they made the official announcement today.

Well they tweeted something on their twitter saying they are going to have a long rest but will be doing freelance work after that.
    https://twitter.com/tsk06/status/496027187330293761

not confirmed
    mistranslation
    hiatus to figure out where to go next.
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-08-04 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Ever heard of Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totoro.
    Nasica, grave of the fire flies, some pretty ground breaking shit.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post

And an era dies. THough I think they're doing the right thing. Hayao Miyazaki was the essence, the lifeblood of Ghibli. Without him, they wouldn't be the same. So instead of pushing out new, mediocre movies, they'd rather just stop. Which I admire greatly.

Someone might grow to replace them some day, I don't doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Uh, no I haven't

Edit: Actually, I have heard of spirited away. Never saw it though.
    If you've never seen spirited away where the hell were you when it came out? Such a good movie
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Noooooooooooo They have made such beautiful movies and i hoped they were just the 'start'.. I wantz more Ghibli movies -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    And an era dies. THough I think they're doing the right thing. Hayao Miyazaki was the essence, the lifeblood of Ghibli. Without him, they wouldn't be the same. So instead of pushing out new, mediocre movies, they'd rather just stop. Which I admire greatly.

Someone might grow to replace them some day, I don't doubt.
    Well they aren't shutting down or stopping just yet. It hasn't been confirmed yet and there was a mistranslation. They are stopping for a bit to see where to go to next. If they do continue more work they will be using freelance animators like they did last time for their other work. Like for instance Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro....were made by freelance animators.

Here is a better article with the correct information with the slip up and everything.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/studio-ghibli-closed/
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-08-04 at 01:36 AM.

[ANIME] Studio Ghibli isn't shutting down!

Studio Ghibli Considers “Housecleaning,” Has Not Yet Closed.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/studio-ghibli-closed/

https://twitter.com/tsk06/status/496027187330293761

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...artment/.77263

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that these changes may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.
    Feel free to discuss on what is going to happen to the studio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at least they aren't closing yet, so good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    Well at least they aren't closing yet, so good news!
    Even if they shut down the animation department doesn't mean they can't make new movies and stuff. Like for instance. Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro....were made by freelance animators. They weren't actually done in house.

not sure why an entirely new thread was necessary but this is good news

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    not sure why an entirely new thread was necessary but this is good news
    Well the OP wasn't around to make the changes to show that it actually isn't shutting down. That it was a mistranslation and it wasn't confirmed yet that it was shutting down. The mistranslation started on tumblr and went on from there.

I merged the two threads and changed the title to reflect the potential for mistranslation.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I merged the two threads and changed the title to reflect the potential for mistranslation.
    Thank you for that. Also ya the article that OP posted did an update to reflect that too since the mistranslation was floating around the net.

Hey sorry I saw it as I was heading out the door for work and didn't see any other threads already about it hence why I made this one. I guess they did the update while I was gone lol. It's nice to know that they may continue to do movies, they have done some truly great ones.

Did they animate any major players?
    ...only like the biggest anime movies to date. ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sucks but I don't think they're that great, anyway. Going ahead and tell me how wrong I am, I don't care.