Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK Foreign Office Minister resigns over Gaza

Foreign Office minister Baroness Warsi has resigned from the government, saying its policy on the crisis in Gaza is "morally indefensible".
    Source

Finally, some backbone in British politics.

I have to agree, that decision deserves respect.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    I don't agree with her politics at the best of times, but in this I back her fully. It really is great to see someone taking a principled stand for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Whether it'll make a difference though...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice to see at least one person isn't completely morally bankrupt in our government.

Cameron needs to go. ASAP. General election can't come soon enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    Nice to see at least one person isn't completely morally bankrupt in our government.

Cameron needs to go. ASAP. General election can't come soon enough.
    Outside of Greens, I really can't think of a party that would be any different.

Brave decision. She's wrong, but brave nonetheless.

What's happening in Gaza is NOT the UK's concern - the extent of the UK Government's policy on the situation should be providing aid and calling for a humanitarian ceasefire (which it has been doing repeatedly since the beginning of Protective Edge) and that's it.

I know very little about UK politics, but that was a really hard hit to whatever party she belonged to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Petyr Baelish View Post
    Miliband has been very open about his objection to the situation in Gaza, so has Clegg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerean View Post

What's happening in Gaza is NOT the UK's concern - the extent of the UK Government's policy on the situation should be providing aid and calling for a humanitarian ceasefire (which it has been doing repeatedly since the beginning of Protective Edge) and that's it.
    We should be openly condemning them... We did with Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan etc...

I'm guessing Cameron doesn't want to admit complicity by arming Israel.

Deleted
    We should be openly condemning them... We did with Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan etc...

I think alot of it has to do with the 'special relationship' aswell. Cameron and his lot are strong Atlantacists and generally tow the American line.

10+ Year Old Account

Cameron wouldn't admit anything he'd just order a review on it. Exactly like he's done in this situation with arms deals from British companies.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which just shows the sad state of affairs that is UK Politics at the moment.

There are very few parties (none actually capable of getting into Government) worth voting for anymore. All just different shades of the same colour.

If she, as a person, fundamentally disagrees with the stance that our current government takes then she's 100% right to resign. Nothing wrong about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    Which just shows the sad state of affairs that is UK Politics at the moment.

There are very few parties (none actually capable of getting into Government) worth voting for anymore. All just different shades of the same colour.

If she, as a person, fundamentally disagrees with the stance that our current government takes then she's 100% right to resign. Nothing wrong about it.
    Absolutely, she's 100% right to resign if she fundamentally disagrees with the UK Government's policy. It's principled, it's the right thing to do and I wish that politicians on both side of the Atlantic did it more often.

I do however disagree with what I think her reasons are for disagreeing (if that makes sense lol). I could be wrong of course, but if recent history has taught the West anything, we shouldn't be touching the Middle East with a seven thousand mile pole. No picking sides. No supporting one over the other. Let them get on with it, provide aid where we can, and just stay the f*ck outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerean View Post
    Absolutely, she's 100% right to resign if she fundamentally disagrees with the UK Government's policy. It's principled, it's the right thing to do and I wish that politicians on both side of the Atlantic did it more often.

I do however disagree with what I think her reasons are for disagreeing (if that makes sense lol). I could be wrong of course, but if recent history has taught the West anything, we shouldn't be touching the Middle East with a seven thousand mile pole. No picking sides. No supporting one over the other. Let them get on with it, provide aid where we can, and just stay the f*ck outta there.
    I totally agree with that. We've burnt our fingers every time. It just isn't worth it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiyo View Post
    Miliband has been very open about his objection to the situation in Gaza, so has Clegg.
    Great, so Labour can drag us into another war that has fuck all to do with us and that we'll end fighting for 10 years with no discernable objective or difference once we leave.

I think I speak for most Britons when I say, fuck that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Great, so Labour can drag us into another war that has fuck all to do with us and that we'll end fighting for 10 years with no discernable objective or difference once we leave.

No one has talked about military intervention and no one will.

I don't want to be that guy but you know, she IS a Muslim. It's probably not a completely personal moral stance.

- - - Updated - - -

As if anyone would take military action in Israel lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

I doubt he'd do that. Whilst he's right that David Cameron is being way too sympathetic towards Israel, that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to drag us in there. From what I've been reading I can't help but see it as more of a way to take jabs at Cameron than an actual intent to do something to alter the situation, other than stop backing Israel.

Besides, we have plenty more reasons to hate Ed We don't need to give him chances to make a fool of himself, he does not require assistance in that field.

Deleted
    Hopefully it'll go together with a change of direction seen how the UK are the biggest importer of Israeli goods in Europe.