10+ Year Old Account

Illinois Rep gets minor punishment, felonies dropped

Absolutely disgusting story, I guess being in a seat of power really helps with blatantly breaking the law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5648179.html

"pleaded guilty to one count of delivering a false federal income tax return for 2007 as part of a plea deal. The misdemeanor carries a maximum sentence of a year in prison and a $100,000 fine."

"Ford had earlier pleaded not guilty to far more serious charges - eight felony counts of bank fraud and nine counts of submitting false information to the bank. But prosecutors said Monday that they would dismiss all the felony counts at Ford's sentencing on Nov. 11."

Dropped all felony charges, despite him admitting that he did it. Him dodging all felony charges also means he gets to keep his seat in congress. I redacted the party because frankly this has nothing to do with political parties, both sides are rife with insider trading frauds, in my opinion.

Even a plea deal from that many felonies usually results in actual punishment, not this sadness
    You're a towel.

He's a state rep, not US just to clarify.

From his defense attorney: "I'm going to take my wins where I find them and I'm not going to gloat." I think he wants this thing buried as quick as possible so nobody asks questions because nobody seems to know why the prosecution made this deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone knows why the prosecution made this deal, hes an "important person" so he gets less punishment.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I think everyone knows why the prosecution made this deal, hes an "important person" so he gets less punishment.
    I thought it was because most Americans don't view tax evasion as offensive in the slightest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I thought it was because most Americans don't view tax evasion as offensive in the slightest?
    The felony charges weren't for tax evasion. They were because he allegedly took a $500,000 loan to rehabilitate properties but then used the money for a whole bunch of other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    The felony charges weren't for tax evasion. They were because he allegedly took a $500,000 loan to rehabilitate properties but then used the money for a whole bunch of other stuff.
    Oooh, shocker.

Call me when we start prosecuting private sector people for this sort of garbage in any serious manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a breach of contract.

I'd be surprised if he had any assets after this.

He's fucked financially.