Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Comprehending that not all people are the same is an act of the Will. Despising anything based on arbitrary feelings smacks of immaturity.

In Canada we have signs like that also for Federal, Provincial and Municipal elections. Usually during both the Federal and Provincial elections people will put those signs on our property without our permission (they probably figure because it's a field that can do what they want), when that happens I relocate them to the government owned woods across the road.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

15+ Year Old Account
    They only do it to get a rise out of some people.

O wait....

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    The signs do work. They just don't work very well, but they are beyond cheap, so yeah...

This is what it looks like here around election time:
    <snip>
    They work *fantastically well* for local elections where the populous doesn't know half of the people who are running. If you are filling out the ballot and don't know any of the candidates, you're significantly more likely to check the name you recognize the most.

Signs can be effective, especially if you have an interesting name. Here in Michigan a few years ago we had a guy running for a judge position and his last name was, I kid you not, Thor. He had lightning bolts on the signs and everything. If he'd been in our district I'd have voted for the guy based on that alone because, seriously, how many people would actually have the sand to run with it when it comes to their name like that?
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

The ones in yards don't bother me too much, it is their yard after all. The ones on street corners all over town are the ones that piss me off. For over a month now there has been trash posted into the ground at every other corner all over town. Mixed with the storms during the summer and they are all over the damn place. All I can think when I see them is I wont vote for you.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I see some people put a single sign up in their front yard during elections here in Canada. It doesn't bother me that much because honestly, it's a sign. It'll be gone when the election's over.

There is a politician who has signs like that all over my town in Oklahoma. His sign says, "Have a nice day" in white letters. But randomly before nice it says Blaine in yellow.

"Have a
    Blaine
    Nice Day"

It, irrationally, infuriates me when I see it. So stupid.

The signs make a bit of sense for local government, helping get your name out there is always good. Not every voter is informed and may vote for a name they recognize.
    Last edited by Captain Proton; 2014-08-06 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love any signs that show faces. All you need is a can of black spray.

And whola...your next politican is charlie chaplin or hitler or whatever you wish.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    I love any signs that show faces. All you need is a can of black spray.

And whola...your next politican is charlie chaplin or hitler or whatever you wish.

I only hate signs when people don't take them down when the elections and shit are over.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's not about convincing a democrat to vote republican, it's about empowering your own side and showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I only hate signs when people don't take them down when the elections and shit are over.
    I saw a 'Wellstone!' bumper sticker the other day.

The dude died before the election in 2002.

Since I'm from a small town and my parents still live there and know EVERYBODY (teacher mom who taught kids and kids of kids and dad who has saved at least one member of everyone's family's life at least once as a volunteer EMT/Firefighter) they tend to just say: Just put it up and ignore the other signs.

I personally see them as just hideous lawn ornaments and I tend to not even register them when I walk / drive by. However they can be very effective for a lot of people if you constantly seeing them. The name gets drilled into your head and you think, "Hm, maybe I should pay more attention to this guy/gal."

As human beings, I'm surprised we're still so keen on registering these kinds of ads, but they must still be effective or they wouldn't be so obnoxiously mass-produced. But, in case you haven't noticed, the struggle between Democrats and Republicans is like the struggle between two rival Am. football / basketball / baseball teams. Fans are fanatical, obnoxious, easily offended, and always willing to give away their money / property as ad space. What you have is a bit of an extreme example, though coming from my family that doesn't care who puts what political sign in their lawn, I can agree with your sentiments.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Deleted
    I get what you mean.

Burn, heathens.

I'm pretty unhappy with the signs too. Where I live is an area that is fundamentally counter to my values. So seeing signs for the Tea Party at nearly every other house (this is barely an exaggeration by the way) is really frustrating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    Judging people on what you think they do, based on a (political) sign in their yard, almost always is. If we're going down that path- that you can accurately or sufficiently judge someone's character, morals, etc, based on them having a 'D' or an 'R' next to their name (or a sign in their yard)... That's at least as bad and corrosive as racism.
    Does race have an agenda and political basis like a democrat or republican? You are way off base and are crying racism, where there is no reason for it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Every intersection corner is filled with 10+ political signs during an election year around here. I always want to just go put a sign with something like "these people are dicks" and see if anyone ever notices.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see signs like that around sometimes, generally not nearly as blatant as the picture in the OP though.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Don't worry, they despise you too!

No seriously, people do what they want on their property. And, this way, you can pass judgement on them as you go by! Hooray!
    You don't think that image's display is excessive? He's not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but that's it's tacky.

I don't like any political signs anywhere. They are eyesores and polarizing.