Gripping Despair on garrosh

So today, we get to garrosh (heroic 10man) and managed to 1 shot him with our usual 1 tank 2 healer comp but something happened in phase 2 that was both scary and hilarious, gripping despair was not reseting between whirling corruptions so I ended up phase 2 at like 21-22 stacks ticking for almost 700k/s with a nice 900k vengeance peak going into phase 3.

Anyone else have this happen? I've been tanking garrosh normal for months on 2 different toons and this is a first for me.

Gripping Despair has a ten second duration. If you're unlucky with his hits, he can apply the DoT directly before the (E)WC and apply it directly after. Easiest method to prevent this would be to jump out of melee range the last second of (E)WC.

It happens when his swing timer plays out perfectly. It's very, very rare, like when Desecrated Weapon goes out right before the second Whirl in p2 rather than after.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rng gods lined up and screwed you, yes it can happen. Just take a step away at the end of WC.
    Sinthetik, Blood DK, BM Monk, GM, Exiled From Hell, US Premiere Daytime Progression Guild. 7/7 Mythic HM, 10/10 Mythic BRF. 12/13 Mythic, 13/13 Heroic HFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinthetik View Post
    Rng gods lined up and screwed you, yes it can happen. Just take a step away at the end of WC.
    hah if anything id try to replicate it every time.

22 stacks unmitigated is 1.21m damage per sec you are taking from the DoT plus melee swings. How did you survive that without planning for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    22 stacks unmitigated is 1.21m damage per sec you are taking from the DoT plus melee swings. How did you survive that without planning for it?
    45,000 per stack * 23 stacks = 1.035,000 dmg/s
    -> bear form = 25% magic dr
    -> barkskin/metagem weaving = 20% all dr

max tick 621k