Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good for good's sake (from IMGUR)

Saw a post on IMGUR, and thought it made an interesting question.

Try and find one good news story that isn't in response to some evil, bad or unfortunate act or situation.

That is - something positive that happened, without the need for something negative to initiate it.

We can all see stacks of bad stuff that doesn't need good to get going - why is it so hard to find the opposite ?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good news doesn't help the ratings like terrible news does.

And in TV, ratings = profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    WASHINGTON - A toddler squeezed through the White House gates on Thursday evening, causing a brief security lockdown on Pennsylvania Avenue and amusing White House reporters awaiting late-breaking news on Iraq.

"We were going to wait until he learned to talk to question him, but in lieu of that he got a timeout and was sent on way with parents," Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan said in a statement provided to White House reporters.

Secret Service agents regularly close off the area due to suspicious packages near the White House, but pint-sized intruders are far less common.

thats all i could find on my local paper today. Rest were terrible sad articles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man wins lottery....
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Good news doesn't help the ratings like terrible news does.
    Point missed. There are a lot of good news stories - that wasn't the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Man wins lottery....
    Not sure how that is good news ? It really depends on how or what he does as to if it is good, bad or indifferent news.

Birth \ Marriage announcements?
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Man wins lottery....
    You forget the part about him blowing it all and ending up homeless a year later, then killing himself drunk and depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Point missed. There are a lot of good news stories - that wasn't the point.
    Maybe, but it was a direct answer to the question in the op.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    Marriage announcements?
    Marriage is akin to a prison sentence. I fail to see how it's good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Already been said good news is often not as interesting as the bad.. Bad news and scaring people has power and control Good news does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    Birth \ Marriage announcements?
    Not good news... just neutral news. Like winning the lottery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Maybe, but it was a direct answer to the question in the op.
    Incorrect. Had no relevance to OP.

I remember one a while back that the White House was infiltrated by goats.

That's the only thing close to this topic that I remember.

Although maybe the news of that child who got lost being found perfectly fine a few states away because he took the wrong train or something? I know there was another similar situation where the child was found dead though...

Great news...sort of...depends on who you ask

If the lawmakers do realize that "marriage restrictions on age, polygamy and consanguinity are also ripe for challenge", then I would support this ban thing 100%. Good news imo. Intolerance towards incest and 2D > 3D is still too high.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    If the lawmakers do realize that "marriage restrictions on age, polygamy and consanguinity are also ripe for challenge", then I would support this ban thing 100%. Good news imo. Intolerance towards incest and 2D > 3D is still too high.
    That is either bad news (if you are against equal rights), or good news in response to lack of equal rights (aka bad).

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That is either bad news (if you are against equal rights), or good news in response to lack of equal rights (aka bad).
    I meant, I would support the unbanning of that thing..100%.. you know.. sure, give the gays the rights they want .. and while they are at it, consider other things as being "normal". it is totally good news

10+ Year Old Account
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Polygamy is often recognised informally by governments, but not formally due to legal issues involving things as mundane as tax. I personally think it is okay to have one legally official spouse and as many as you want unofficially.

Incest is illegal isn't it? So the problem wouldn't be with regard to them getting married so much as them being in a relationship at all. If you could succesfully challenge the staus of that, then the marriage factor would probably follow. Is there any call for that in the US?

As regards to age, the problem is one of consent, you could argue that the age at which you can be married could be lowered, or indeed raised, but due to age of consent legislation you have the legal issue again if it goes below a certain age level. You also have the issue that children aren't mentally capable of understanding consent until they reach a certain level of development, which would probably not be far off from what the current age limit is for marriage.

I have no idea what "2D > 3D" means, it sounds like an argument about what type of film is better.

OT: We always had a feelgood story on the main ITV evening news, which started "And finally...", and the BBC have feelgood stories on their website all the time.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2014-08-08 at 08:25 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    We totally have a satellite orbiting a comet. Which is sweetsauce. The next mars rover is going to try and make oxygen on the surface of mars. Those are profoundly good things that aren't a response to bad things, as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today in Portland, OR, I awoke to seeing my Pleco floating tits up. After much panicking, I picked him up in a bag and took him to the fish store I got him from. They had given me algae tablets to feed him with, as my tank is 'new', so there isn't much to feed him. He was happy as a clam yesterday. The lady gently pulled poor pleco from the bag, set him on a piece of rubber mat, and gently moved him around. At one point she rolled him almost completely over from one side to the other, looking for irregularities...and it spat up a huge chunk of something and started flopping around! It's fish jesus! He's now back in his tank, happily sucking along the tank wall :-)

There, good news story! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every florida man article makes me happy inside.