Thread: US strikes Iraq

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Iraqi Kurds were attacking ISIS last I heard, maybe the airstrikes were in support of them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I approve of the attacks against IS.
    But claiming it's self-defence is ridiculous :')
    Hey, they are killing our braincells with their stupidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good job US, shame on EU

Sometimes I sit here and why the heck we're (the US) the only country that is doing anything about this.

Why is it OUR money, OUR fuel, OUR planes, and OUR bombs doing the work? What about the rest of the UN nations? What, we're the only UN nation with working fighter jets and bombs?

ISIS does indeed need to be wiped out, but guess who gets stuck with the lion's share of the bill, the fighting, and the deaths? Yup, good ole USA. Well, not counting Iraqi costs, anyways... but that's another subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why we leave bases in countries we've "liberated". Just in case something happens to those countries we can intervene quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post
    Sometimes I sit here and why the heck we're (the US) the only country that is doing anything about this.

Why is it OUR money, OUR fuel, OUR planes, and OUR bombs doing the work? What about the rest of the UN nations? What, we're the only UN nation with working fighter jets and bombs?

ISIS does indeed need to be wiped out, but guess who gets stuck with the lion's share of the bill, the fighting, and the deaths? Yup, good ole USA. Well, not counting Iraqi costs, anyways... but that's another subject.

Yup, none of them appear to care. That is, until they can point the finger at the U.S. and say we shouldn't be doing this or that. America has to make most of the tough choices in the world, and yes, they aren't all perfect but at least we try to do good in the world when we have the resources available unlike some countries. Not their country, not their people, not their problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post

It may have to do with the fact that the last time the EU tried to lead in something, actions against Libya, they ran out of ammo and had to borrow ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Even if it wasn't in self-defense (which I have no reason to believe), IS is a growing problem.
    "Obama said in a statement from the White House on Thursday night that he authorized targeted airstrikes to protect U.S. personnel if militants move on the town of Erbil or the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, where Americans are currently stationed."

"Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said the U.S. conducted two additional airstrikes Friday to attack ISIS targets near the Kurdish capital of Erbil, where about 150 U.S. military advisers and other personnel are located. After an initial strike at 6:45 a.m. ET, a remotely piloted aircraft struck a mortar position a bit more than three hours later, around 10 a.m. ET."

IS was moving on US personnel in Iraq, making it self defense.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Unfortunately they got all the advanced weaponry from us basically. The weapons and vehicles they currently have are from the Iraqi army we supplied after we started training the new Iraqi army. Secondly some are from the Syrian rebels we supported to help them topple Assads regime. Yep it's all coming back to bite us in the ass, you would think we would learn our lesson by now...

Edit: As for their tactics from what I've heard is that many are old seasoned officers from Saddams original army plus with their constant fighting in Syria they have gotten much more skilled in urban combat.
    The whole thing stinks like a covert op gone bad. Thank god Obama was not allowed to attack Syria or isis would probably be even more expanded. I think the two are connected and I remember how weirdly Obama was pushing a war with Syria behind closed doors with no concrete info for the public.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I mean it is self defense...but is it really self defense? It is like a city getting attacked and instead of pulling out your embassy, you just send your army to protect the whole city for 'self defense'.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for what they did, but you don't need stupid reasoning for this to happen. We did a good thing and that is why we did it, don't make things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    The whole thing stinks like a covert op gone bad. Thank god Obama was not allowed to attack Syria or isis would probably be even more expanded.
    US did get chemical weapons out of Syria...did everyone forget about this?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I know where I'm going next year.

Oh well.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    "Obama said in a statement from the White House on Thursday night that he authorized targeted airstrikes to protect U.S. personnel if militants move on the town of Erbil or the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, where Americans are currently stationed."

"Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said the U.S. conducted two additional airstrikes Friday to attack ISIS targets near the Kurdish capital of Erbil, where about 150 U.S. military advisers and other personnel are located. After an initial strike at 6:45 a.m. ET, a remotely piloted aircraft struck a mortar position a bit more than three hours later, around 10 a.m. ET."

Not when we shouldnt have had personell there in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The US is the cause of all wars throughout history, apparently, according to some people on this forum.
    Only according to the Russians. I think its penis envy!
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    Only according to the Russians. I think its penis envy!
    It's true, we even caused the Alexander the Great campaigns.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think nearly every Middle Eastern problem with remain essentially insoluble so long as Islam holds the sway that it does over so many.
    I wouldn't say it's just islam alone but more so abrahamists in general. They've fought for millennium with crusades and jihads all across the world. They aren't the most peaceful religions.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-08-09 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Unfortunately they got all the advanced weaponry from us basically. The weapons and vehicles they currently have are from the Iraqi army we supplied after we started training the new Iraqi army. Secondly some are from the Syrian rebels we supported to help them topple Assads regime. Yep it's all coming back to bite us in the ass, you would think we would learn our lesson by now...

Edit: As for their tactics from what I've heard is that many are old seasoned officers from Saddams original army plus with their constant fighting in Syria they have gotten much more skilled in urban combat.
    If only we had a time machine and could go back and prevent Charlie Wilson's war none of this would be happening... period!

- - - Updated - - -

The whole thing stinks like a covert op gone bad. Thank god Obama was not allowed to attack Syria or isis would probably be even more expanded. I think the two are connected and I remember how weirdly Obama was pushing a war with Syria behind closed doors with no concrete info for the public.
    No concrete information for the public.... so you mean hearsay bs and conspiracy? Did you learn of this on Fox News? Obama used completely diplomatic measures to handle Syria and that is all he wanted to do... Obama is a diplomat... the other dude, the "decider" was the war monger, and now Obama is stuck cleaing up the mess.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    If only we had a time machine and could go back and prevent Charlie Wilson's war none of this would be happening... period!

- - - Updated - - -

No concrete information for the public.... so you mean hearsay bs and conspiracy? Did you learn of this on Fox News? Obama used completely diplomatic measures to handle Syria and that is all he wanted to do... Obama is a diplomat... the other dude, the "decider" was the war monger, and now Obama is stuck cleaing up the mess.
    He only didn't attack Syria because everyone was against, everyone. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen, they wanted to attack Syria so bad but their reason was flimsy at best. Some say Saudi Arabia made a deal with the administration to attack Syria way before the chemical weapon thing, and Saudi Arabia was angry he didn't go through with it. I find it strange that Saudi Arabia would offer to pay for the whole mission, which is what we were told just days after the chemical incident. If you cant smell a setup don't blame me. By the way bush hasn't been the president in a very long time, isis, Syria and the arab spring are obamas babies.

10+ Year Old Account
    He only didn't attack Syria because everyone was against, everyone.
    John McCain was hell bent on bombing Syria. But that's his answer for everything.......

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's true, we even caused the Alexander the Great campaigns.
    All that oil!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    http://news.msn.com/world/us-officia...kes-near-irbil

After Obama authorized air strikes yesterday, today was the first time they struck.

The US did this in self-defense as they are dropping supplies to a religious community under siege by Islamic extremists. The strike were performed in self-defense or so they claim.

Thoughts?
    Might be worth to point out "self defence" after being invited by the iraqi government to interveen.