Poll: Whose fault is it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tony Stewart hits other driver on foot; possibly intentionally.

So, not a nascar or racing fan in general, but I saw this on espn and deadspin, and I was shocked. I saw the movie of it, before YouTube took it down, and it looked like it could have been very much intentional..

Stewart hit the other driver, taking him out of the race, then during the caution lap that followed, pointed at Stewart as he drive by; Stewart gunned his engine an swerved directly into the young man, knocking him/carrying him over 50 feet.

Police have been investigating for hours. I hope it comes out tht it was an accdent, but te video+witnesses make it seem intentional. Which would make it attempted vehicular manslaughter, if he survived (several places saying he was doa, but not confirmed)
    You're a towel.

Other driver is confirmed as dead. I just saw the vid; there are several copies up on youtube at the moment and yeah, it looks to me like Stewart intentionally hit him; other cars seemed to be slowing down, but Stewart's appeared to be gaining speed as he approached the other guy. I'm not a Nascar fan, but my father is and I've heard him mention before that Stewart has a hell of a temper before with a history of intentionally ramming other cars and causing wrecks. Looks like that temper may have taken him too far this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Supposedly he didn't swerve to hit him, he just revved his engine super hard right as he was coming up on him, which caused his back end to fish tail, which hit him and killed him. So basically, vehicular manslaughter if a non celebrity did it. we'll see what happens to him, if anything...RIP Kevin Ward JR.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks already watched him getting hit once, don't need to watch it again <.< I'm sorry but there is NO way they can say it was a complete accident. He revved his engine just as he was getting to him, which caused him to fish tail, which killed someone. He should be held fully responsible for this.
    You're a towel.

He definitely revved the engine before hitting him. Whether he intended to actually hit him or just scare him is questionable, but if Tony Stewart was some random guy, he'd likely get jail time. As of now, all signs point to no charges.

Hope the guy's family sues the hell out of Stewart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart has always been known as a hot head. Hes been in trouble for shit before. This time it ended up killing somebody. He should be in jail, right now.
    You're a towel.

Yeah pretty safe to say that nothing will happen to Stewart, still pretty crazy though. It did seem intentional, but to be 100% honest, the guy was walking through the middle of a race track as the drivers were speeding by, so I really don't feel that sorry for him.

They say to look both ways before crossing the street, think that holds true on race tracks too.

The fucking kid walked into the middle of an active race....regardless of if it was in "caution" the cars were still easily going 55-65mph....it's just a stupid thing to do. Obviously Tony Stewart is not 100% innocent here but if the kid didn't walk into multiple oncoming vehicles this wouldn't have happened....

If I walk into the middle of an active highway where cars are driving 55-65mph and someone hits me should they be convicted of murder?

Not a race fan but it should be interesting to see the new regulation NASCAR implements after this. Shame that this is what it takes for change to happen in a sport like NASCAR but look at the results after the Dale Sr. incident.

Looks intentional. The guy is stupid enough to be walking out onto the track after that nudge, but that to me at least looks like he was intentionally hitting him. He's going way faster then the other cars going by, and you can see (if you watch it carefully) that he wasn't turning he was heading right at him...

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    If I walk into the middle of an active highway where cars are driving 55-65mph and someone hits me should they be convicted of murder?
    YES. It doesn't matter how idiotic the person is being... you are required to have enough control and aware enough of your surroundings to stop in this kind of situation. That's in the extreme example of someone stumbling out onto a highway and you possibly not noticing. In this case, Stewart obviously knew he was there and made no effort to avoid him and even sped up.

Side note: I do believe that if you accidentally hit a pedestrian who is actively trying to get run over (ie suicidal), you aren't charged with vehicular homicide and just get a reckless driving charge. At least according to a story my dad told me a few years ago about his dad.

Im a huge nascar fan, soo happy my favorite driver Jeff Gordon got the pole this weekend and i have no love for tony stewart. Ive seen the video and i have been reading comments on ESPN's story as well as youtube videos and i have to disagree that this was intentional.

Alot of people are saying he swerved to hit him. Thats not what happened. Stewart held his line if you watch the video slowly much like the first driver of that blue vehicle that almost hit the driver. If you notice the driver steps up the track to avoid the blue vehicle and you should also notice that the vehicle doesnt swerve until it passes the driver walking around.

Now back to stewart. After the first blue car passes the driver walks down the track AGAIN you then see Stewarts' car appear and him going straight. It is not until he makes contact that he loses control of his vehicle and slides up the race track. If some guys leg is under your front tire your gonna lose control specially since these cars have little grip to begin with, as shown earlier in the vid where the cars are sliding around.

Imo the driver is an idiot for doing what he did. and Tony's only fault was being defiant enough to hold his place on the race track. Oh forgot to say if you look at the vid closely b4 stewart hits the driver the driver tries to step back just like he did for the blue car.

Another thing some have mentioned was that we dont know what the visability is like for these cars. The car infront of Tony might have blocked the guy walking around. And if u just look at the blue cars reaction you can see that guy didnt even know there was someone walking on the race track.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    YES. It doesn't matter how idiotic the person is being... you are required to have enough control and aware enough of your surroundings to stop in this kind of situation. That's in the extreme example of someone stumbling out onto a highway and you possibly not noticing. In this case, Stewart obviously knew he was there and made no effort to avoid him and even sped up.

Side note: I do believe that if you accidentally hit a pedestrian who is actively trying to get run over (ie suicidal), you aren't charged with vehicular homicide and just get a reckless driving charge. At least according to a story my dad told me a few years ago about his dad.

Its a dirt track, you cant just stop. Why didnt the car infront of stewart stop? the driver was just as close to that vehicle as he was to stewart. If either car tried to slam the breaks they would prolly just lose control of the car and slide into him or worse cause the other cars to swerve around and hit the guy at a faster speed.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2014-08-10 at 10:24 AM.

The other driver was driving half of Stewart's speed and was closer to the inside of the track. Stewart was not only already going much faster than the others but gunned his engine as he drove by. He clearly knew the guy was there and was, at the very least, trying to scare the guy. He either intentionally kicked the back of his car out with a slight turn or didn't account for the fact that gunning it would cause his rear to kick out that way. Either way, he was negligent as a driver and is responsible for the guy's death.

both drivers were driving the same line, tony wasnt higher, i rewatched it he did gun his engine but by the time he did that he had already hit the guy, the slide up the track is still being caused by the hit.

Yeah...make it that size 1 font. If you are stupid enough to jump in the middle of the road (he wasn't off to the side yelling, he walked in front of oncoming cars) to be a dick I would say he is suicidal. The difference here is that they were on a NASCAR track and not a highway and therefore the rules aren't going to be the same. Similarly to if a boxer kills his opponent in the ring unintentionally. These guys know the risks going in and to walk in front of cars in my opinion is doing nothing positive for ANYONE.

I said it in my other post...I don't think Tony Stewart is 100% innocent but to say hes a murderer and a coldblooded killer is ridiculous.

The other driver was driving half of Stewart's speed
    I read all of that in your post to know you aren't even watching the same video as us. He was MAYBE going 5-10mph over...the only difference is half way through he revs his engine and speeds up a bit.

Like I said earlier...I'm not a race fan...that being said I have watched NASCAR races before and this type of bs isn't exactly an uncommon thing (to see someone act like a hot headed idiot).

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat hard to tell from that video, so much idiocy from both sides. Why the fuck did you do something that could cause a swerve just as you're coming up to some guy standing on the road? Why the hell are you standing in the middle of the road?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    the dead guy was an idiot..

10+ Year Old Account
    The shitty thing is, this seems to happen all the time (Not someone getting hit and killed of course) And they glorify it on ESPN, the drivers getting into tussles and stuff. Even walking onto "pit road" while cars are still going..and they talk about it like it is the best thing ever on sportcenter the next day, kind of like how "Big hits" happened all the time in football back in the day and it was glorified, now the same people are like "ZOMG SO BAD!"

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, its not like the guy that got hit was doing something smart by getting mad and pointing at him while in the middle of the track..but Stewart easily could have defused the situation. Sorry but him gunning the engine happened before he hit him.
    You're a towel.

It looks to me as if Tony saw him, but wasn't going to move to avoid him. He was dumb to try to confront Tony on foot. The "rev" that you hear is Tony shifting gears and pulling off to the side after he realized he just killed somebody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart is planning on racing today, life goes on...