Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs-chan View Post
    Uhhh, clearly you haven't watched Kill la Kill. The entire premise is a metaphor for a girl transitioning into adulthood. This is as deep as they come, the fan service and everything else is a thin veil and only shallow minded plebeians would only see Kill la Kill as being a show with just fan service and ecchi.

I weep for you for having missed SAO's amazingly layered characters and character interactions, were you simply not paying attention?
    Holy... are you delusional?
    You're going to call Kirito's harem round-up amazingly layered character interactions?
    Have you just not watched many anime or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Kill la Kill merely re-invented the ecchi harem genre. SAO reinvented the entire anime industry. Every show since then has at least one character heavily inspired by SAO's deep characters.
    Heavily inspired by SWORD ART ONLINE'S deep characters?
    You fanboys are nuts, literally nuts.
    Was SAO baby's first anime or something? Rabidly defending it on what ever grounds you make-up?
    Do you guys not realizes that "every anime since has used these characters" because they are long established archetypes that have been around way before SAO?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Until you realise how SAO is actually an existential masterpiece, basically telling us that there's no way out of this life until we find our spiritual dual-wield ability, it may seem that way. It's like Kafka and Carl Jung came together to make a new world, in anime form.
    Sword Art Online.
    4 syllables.
    Carl Jung 46&2.
    4 goes into 48.
    48 chromosomes.
    Kirito has reached state on enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Holy... are you delusional?
    You're going to call Kirito's harem round-up amazingly layered character interactions?
    Have you just not watched many anime or something?
    The trauma he suffered from trying to help low-level players has affected his personality permanently. It's easy to relate to how he seeks solace in Asuna, fear of loss gnawing at his desire to move forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Sword Art Online.
    4 syllables.
    Carl Jung 46&2.
    4 goes into 48.
    48 chromosomes.
    Kirito has reached state on enlightenment.
    Precisely!

When i was in a dark place, SAO helped me break free from it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

What? really? are you serious?
    There's nothing original about it, the characters all follow typical archetypes and the "trapped in a game" thing has already been done before.
    I'm sorry you can't comprehend an anime master piece when you see one. I'm not the delusional one here if you completely missed the markings of a phenomenal piece of fiction.
    What? really? are you serious?
    There's nothing original about it, the characters all follow typical archetypes and the "trapped in a game" thing has already been done before.

And if we're talking about THE ANIME specifically, it wasn't even all that well done. The light novels did the story justice much better (unsurprisingly, since they are the source material). The anime's plot was pushed forward far too quickly and the characters weren't given sufficient time to develop.
    SAO was good, I liked it quite a bit (as i said in the first place... so I don't know why you're questioning my taste. Not that questioning my taste is in any way an argument that supports your point), but a modern classic? hardly.
    Who the hell do you think you're talking to? And baby's first anime? Lol, okay buddy. My first anime was Elfen Lied which was also a fantastic story.

Popular anime are going to follow mostly the same themes that other popular animes have. It is sorta like video games, in that they are going to keep going with what works. If you want something different you are going to have move out of the popular manga/anime types.

Beast Player Erin
    Otoyomegatari (If you like Berserk this has the same level of detail. A really beautiful manga)
    Over Drive
    Dorohedoro (Maybe too over the top but I like it.)

Just read something that you would not normally read when you start to feel burned out. Part of what leads to burn out is reading the same types of manga over and over.

I'm sorry you can't comprehend an anime master piece when you see one. I'm not the delusional one here if you completely missed the markings of a phenomenal piece of fiction.
    SAO II is clearly AOTS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knows Itadaki! Seieki is the savior of anime

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    SAO II is clearly AOTS!
    When Kirito became a girl, I actually started to question my sexuality. I wouldn't just have to share a bromance with my body pillow any longer.

When Kirito became a girl, I actually started to question my sexuality. I wouldn't just have to share a bromance with my body pillow any longer.
    Work of pure genuis, a character who transcends more than one gender. One could even say Kirito is gender fluid. How many other anime do you know cross such a barrier? I know one, its a little work I like to call AOTY: Sword Art Online. Not afraid to represent more than one gender instead of constantly supporting male privilege by making its protagonist a man.

Embrace the traps my friend and they will embrace you.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    Embrace the traps my friend and they will embrace you.
    There are no traps in cyberspace. Best girl ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started question my sexuality in alfheim, that shit was fabulous.

Chelly
    Uhhh, clearly you haven't watched Kill la Kill. The entire premise is a metaphor for a girl transitioning into adulthood. This is as deep as they come, the fan service and everything else is a thin veil and only shallow minded plebeians would only see Kill la Kill as being a show with just fan service and ecchi.
    SAO already did the coming of age theme. Asuna faced some common female struggles in the second half, and the novel even had an entire chapter dedicated to her transition into adulthood. Chapter 16.5 showed her maturity at its fullest. The painful emotional and physical struggles she experienced in that chapter made her ready for motherhood.
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-08-12 at 10:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You probably want something that isn't shounen, in other words, not that stuff that's aimed towards teenage boys that contains all that which you mentioned.

They are difficult to find though. I'm an older guy and I've got a lot of trouble finding any manga or anime that doesn't make me wanna throw up. What I can recommend you right off the bat is Battle Angel Alita and the follow-up Gunnm. The manga is superb. Amazing art, touching story with plenty of depth. It weaves in it's story so well and comes back to really old parts of it far, far in that make you go "WHAT". It's rather dystopian and dark though.
    Not only Shounens, but also some Seinens who are just Shounen with blood, dark stuff crap.

I've seen Gunnm but strangly, I should like It because the post-apocalyptic universe is very nice and I don't mind the over-the-top violence because the universe itself explain it (like in Berserk) but I don't know, I think Gunnm is too damn powerfull or too perfect. It's good, I'm agree but that's not my favorite.
    And I've watched a little Last Order and I was "Really? to the martial-artist cyborgs tournament, " and I've stopped because I can't stand Zekka and his damn annoying "male attitude".

this is what we call growing out of childish things

you're becoming an adult, embrace it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not ignore the amazing music score playing throughout SoA
    I feel like the anime almost if not did a better job at telling the story than the novels, imo and thats pretty impressive for an adaption.

Sword Art Online is arguably one of the most important pieces of fiction to have been created in the last decade. It has the ability to transform the entire world of anime and potentially alter the course of animation worldwide. People who don't like it probably have a similar way of thinking to those who dislike artwork created by such masterful artists as Roy Lichtenstein, John Cage, or even the incredibly talented Marcel Duchamp. Works such as Drowning Girl, 4'33" and Fountain (all with respect to the previously listed artists) were all truly creative masterpieces that transformed the world of the high art forever and have had a lasting impact on the world as we know it. Sword Art Online has the potential to do the same for the world of anime, leading all mangakas and anime creators to a new, brighter future with amazing and original story concepts, unique and relatable characters, and truly deep and thought-provoking plots.

Deleted
    With SAO it's always difficult to recognize between troll or fanboy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esdeath View Post
    With SAO it's always difficult to recognize between troll or fanboy
    Esdeath.

Who's the real troll here?