Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    I'll be interested to read about how they sound when they're localized. I'm terribly ignorant - do Austrians have an accent distinct from the rest of the German-speaking people?
    Yes they have. It's a difference like the accent in Texas is distinct from the accent in New York. Even German in Germany is spoken with very different accents from North to South, East to West Germany.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

rofl, you poor human being...

Quote Originally Posted by Sorzzara View Post
    Thanks to the replies of Germans in this thread, making me less worried that this could have an impact.

To the people in this thread who haven proven their inability to communicate or discuss topics without resorting to insults: Noone cares about you.

And no, I did NOT write this post because I feel offended. I wrote it, because I am genuinely worried, that design decisions such as this could impact the game in a negative way. If this is not the case, fine, I really hope it isn't. But I am AMAZED about the incredible amount of outright hostility here, one gets for voicing his opinion, if said opinion doesn't sit well with the majority. Be proud of yourselves, internet tough-guys.
    Most Germans play the localised version anyway and since hardly anybody knows the SNL sketch it could very well be, that both will be renamed to something Germans know better.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I find it odd, OP, that you have yet to acknowledge any of the numerous posts about those ogres being a reference to the SNL skit, Hans and Franz(whom are AUSTRIAN by the way), and you continue to make this about racism. Seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to the replies of Germans in this thread, making me less worried that this could have an impact.

To the people in this thread who haven proven their inability to communicate or discuss topics without resorting to insults: Noone cares about you.

And no, I did NOT write this post because I feel offended. I wrote it, because I am genuinely worried, that design decisions such as this could impact the game in a negative way. If this is not the case, fine, I really hope it isn't. But I am AMAZED about the incredible amount of outright hostility here, one gets for voicing his opinion, if said opinion doesn't sit well with the majority. Be proud of yourselves, internet tough-guys.
    The problem is, you voiced your opinion over something without doing any research about it whatsoever. You had a knee jerk reaction to it. All you had to do is google Hans and Franz, see it's an SNL skit, and go "Oh okay, this isn't Blizzard calling Germans idiotic ogres, how silly of me."

Also, welcome to World of Warcraft, where the entire game is based off of numerous cultures around the world, spun into fantasy and comedy. Jamaicans, Native Americans, Germans, Scotsmen, Russians, Indians, various African/Asian/European tribes/ages/groups/etc.
    Last edited by Renley; 2014-08-13 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    I'll be interested to read about how they sound when they're localized. I'm terribly ignorant - do Austrians have an accent distinct from the rest of the German-speaking people?
    Yes they have. It's a difference like the accent in Texas is distinct from the accent in New York. Even German in Germany is spoken with very different accents from North to South, East to West Germany.
    What he said + Austrian German vs German German Part II - Easy German Pronunciation on youtube (not allowed to post link yet.)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reference to a movie is one thing. Reference to a culture and depicting them as 2 big stupid Ogres is another.

So, you think the french would like it, if they included a giant Frog-Boss and named him "D'Gaull"?
    They're making fun of these two guys from Saturday Night Live. I guess satire ain't your strong side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthensis View Post
    What he said + Austrian German vs German German Part II - Easy German Pronunciation on youtube (not allowed to post link yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zomp View Post
    Ah, I love it. Seems like they just want to sound funny :P

15+ Year Old Account
    OP cannot be possibly serious.
    And some of our German colleagues are brilliantly funny, so I wouldn't even say germans have no humor