Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Charac Models but Old gear ?

So the charac models have finally been updated, and they all look great, massive improvement over current models but the gear will still look like *stuff attached to the skin* instead of actual gear piece ( like the new belt buckles )

Im talking about gear looking like this :

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

When will the armor in game look like that ?
    And if you think about it updating the models is of no use if the charac will be covered by low polygon armor.
    Last edited by RAFFLES; 2014-08-14 at 10:02 AM.

Deleted
    Only the more prominent items, like Tier and special items, as we've seen with Bulwark of Azzinoth.

Deleted
    3D armor like the one you linked in Thrall, is something they are working on, this was confirmed by WatcherDev on twitter some time ago. But it's not for this expansion it seems.

Or, it's coming later in the expansion, if it's not used as a selling point for the next one.

The model upgrades should be a hint that visual upgrades that affect our characters are more of a priority now than before, game getting old and all.

I don't think they will update the old gear. Tbh I wouldn't want then to update it unless it was a teir piece or a seasoned pvp armor. It's a progression of time, and wow dev's have stated that they won't go back to the past expansions to change the content because they want each expansion to feel like a timeline, and if that us the case, they won't fix/update the gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Bulwark seems to be getting put back on the loot table for something.

Rest of the old world stuff is staying as is, WoD gear will jive with the new models.

Deleted
    I can imagine they'll release HD versions of old fan favorites like the Judgment set eventually, but normal questing armor will most likely stay as it is. Of course, they could gradually improve items from different tiers as time goes on, but it's still a lot of work that might not be worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Give it time and older style gear will probably get a visual update. It's hardly a priority atm
    this kinda

Deleted
    At the very least they should upgrade old raid gear like they did with the character creation screen armor and then popular blues.

That's not really wow gear per se, it's part of the model :/ I doubt we'll see chest and legs that aren't painted on.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    That's not really wow gear per se, it's part of the model :/ I doubt we'll see chest and legs that aren't painted on.
    We've been getting pants with actual models since Cataclysm. Even Pandaria green gear looks amazing.

With Quiver and the other stuff they are doing, we will get there, but it will take time.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an avid old school transmogger, I can confirm that all my vanilla mail and plate sets I use on my Shaman and Warrior look beyond awesome on the new models. They actually look a bit better cause they now wrap around more detailed models and that actually shows.

The problem is going back and re-modeling and re-texturing every single piece of gear in WoW. If redoing the models took this long then imagine how long it'd take to rebuild hundreds of armor pieces. In fact they would have to scrap most every piece and build from the ground up except the gloves, shoulders, boots, and helmets since the legs, chest, bracers, and belts are all just painted textures. All of those beautiful armor sets you see on notable NPCs and even various creatures are built right into the model.

Frankly I'd rather they save the assets and focus on making more beautiful armor for the future or if the must only touch tier/pvp sets.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I look around at other players, and I really don't see this "Old Gear" people keep telling me exists.

Hell, BC gear looks great still!

Sure there's nice models out there we'd like to see added, but we don't need them updating every Pre-MoP armor to HD textures. It's really not that noticable.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Imagine full HD gear like that. Since most people play on lame plug and go mid-level PC's they'd be fried. What I don't understand is how a lot of TBC/ WOTLK gear has better model quality than the new stuff. The only Pandaria set I think I rocked for more than a week was the monk T15, oh and my druid's CM gear.

What they really need is a fresh eyes in the art department. Most MOP epic sets/ and the ones I've seen in WoD are pretty lame compared to the old school stuff. They did do right with the CM gear though, well for almost all of it anyways.
    Last edited by Debased; 2014-08-14 at 03:27 AM.

Our gear remains largely painted-on. Chestplates are the biggest offender. It's not going to change.

They can't just update char models and leave all of that... Old, ugly gear. They'll update it eventually I'm sure c:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    Imagine full HD gear like that. Since most people play on lame plug and go mid-level PC's they'd be fried. What I don't understand is how a lot of TBC/ WOTLK gear has better model quality than the new stuff. The only Pandaria set I think I rocked for more than a week was the monk T15, oh and my druid's CM gear.

What they really need is a fresh eyes in the art department. Most MOP epic sets/ and the ones I've seen in WoD are pretty lame compared to the old school stuff. They did do right with the CM gear though, well for almost all of it anyways.
    That's bollocks. Even Pandaria greens look better than tier 8. Sure it was cool back in the days but it doesn't hold up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekmar View Post
    That's bollocks. Even Pandaria greens look better than tier 8. Sure it was cool back in the days but it doesn't hold up anymore.
    But the T8 Warlock set!! ; - ;!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmar View Post
    And yet how many people transmog into pandaland greens...
    Look! Words!