Computer constantly D/C's from internet with new modem

About a week ago my family got a new internet wireless modem. Great! I can replace the old modem as well as my wireless router, as this is a 2-in-1. This this was from Comcast Xfinity; their "upgraded" model. Anywho...

I have two computers connected to this modem. One of which is right next to it. The other is connected through a Powerline (I preferred it over wireless). And the Powerline is great; I am having no problems with the computer connected that way. The problem I am having is with the computer just inches away from the modem itself. It disconnects from the Internet roughly every 3 minutes for 30 seconds or so. It varies at times; but that is a rough estimate.

I don't understand this. The computer connected through the powerline is never disconnected, but the computer next to the modem does.

I tried changing the Ethernet cable that leads from the modem to the computer, but didn't fix the problem. Surely I can call Comcast for the help; but I would rather ask here first. What do you guys think is wrong and how could I fix it? Everything was fine prior to adding this new Modem. Maybe I need to change a setting in the modem itself?

Thanks!

If it seems like it's a timed disconnect, check your router settings and see what your client lease time is, it's possible that it could be 3 minutes, for whatever reason. If it is, change it to 1440(24 hours) or whatever you want it to be.

Also, I'm not sure if they already did this, or whatever they gave you came with it, but you might want to download and flash to the latest firmware.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-14 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    If it seems like it's a timed disconnect, check your router settings and see what your client lease time is, it's possible that it could be 3 minutes, for whatever reason. If it is, change it to 1440(24 hours) or whatever you want it to be.

Also, I'm not sure if they already did this, or whatever they gave you came with it, but you might want to download and flash to the latest firmware.
    Its not exactly timed. Its gone an hour without disconnecting and also 1 minute before d/c'ing again. Regardless, I'll still check the settings of the router when I get home.

Never thought of updating the firmware, I'll defiantly try that as well.

can always reset your driver for your network card.
    download latest driver for your network card to desktop
    uninstall the driver
    reboot and get into bios and disable the network card
    get into safe mode and unzip and install the driver.
    re-enable in bios

if you can't figure out the BIOS trick then just re-install in safe mode.

If you have a mechanical network card then uninstall it and re-seat it.