Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer acting up

So my computer is occasionally freezing and generally slower and i think its because of the Physical Memory.

My total is 8 and comp says 7.9 is usable

Cached bounces between 5-.2
    Available is the same as Cached

but "Free" is 0-60 with it frequently hitting 0.

And i have the most problems when my computer tries to load something, anything up.

Anyone have any solutions?

Without Googling it myself, I believe Cached is memory used by programs that cannot be freed, Available is memory used by programs that can be freed, and Free isn't being used by anything.

How is your CPU usage?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Without Googling it myself, I believe Cached is memory used by programs that cannot be freed, Available is memory used by programs that can be freed, and Free isn't being used by anything.

How is your CPU usage?
    Cpu usage is really low except for ocasional spikes into the 14%ish range

download and check your hard drive with Crystaldiskinfo. this slow lagging can happen if your hard drive is starting to go out; assuming a mechanical drive. Will also be nice to know if its atleast a 7200rpm or if they sneaked in a dog of a 5400 rpm.

8GB memory should be more then enough.

you can also check your cpu usage during load with "task manager" under the performance tab; just see if your cpu pegs to 100% or not, would mean your cpu is getting over loaded and thats the buffer of time its taking to crunch the load.

You can do a general system clean: ccleaner,malwarebytes,virus scan, defrag; make sure your main hard drive is 25% free space. and unistall programs and adware you don't use and don't know what is with start/control panel/programs and features. can also start/run:msconfig clean up your start programs and turn most of them off then goto services tab and check mark the hide microsoft services then turn off most services and then trouble shoot the ones you need for anti virus and printer you will need on.

other then that its opening up the case and re-seating all your hardware and connections and blowing it out.