Deleted

Upgrading CPU and Motherboard

I had a little bit of a rude awakening when the guild I am part of recently switched from 10 man raids to 25 man. My computer completely struggled and I am pretty certain the issue lies with the combination of CPU, RAM and motherboard, all of which were relevant and new and shiny over 7 years ago and are therefore too embarrassing to mention. I would like some advice though if people that are more knowledgeable would be so kind!

I have a limited budget for upgrading and I will be planning to use my current HDD for now as well as my PSU (some silly 1000W thing) and GPU (GTX 660 Ti). Would this GPU combined with an i5-4440, Asus H81 Motherboard and 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM be sufficient for raiding 25 man content (mythic in WoD) with high settings and decent (30ish) FPS?

Thank you!

We need to know your existing hardware to make sure it's compatible. Standards have changed a good bit in the last 7 years, specifically IDE to SATA, case configurations and PSU connectors (old units typically don't have enough PCI plugs).
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    We need to know your existing hardware to make sure it's compatible. Standards have changed a good bit in the last 7 years, specifically IDE to SATA, case configurations and PSU connectors (old units typically don't have enough PCI plugs).
    Oh, I should have mentioned - I am planning on getting ahold of a new case as well but I presume the IDE to SATA question is in regards to the HDD? If so, the HDD is SATA.

The motherboard is an Asus Benicia microATX format. It is very, very similar to this.

It also seems as though I was off the mark about the PSU. That is what I get for posting away from the PC. The one I have is a 600W OCZ modular unit. I think I should be okay for connectors - I'm not using all of the available connections at the moment.

Thank you for your help by the way, and sorry for being a little useless with this! I was in fact thinking of purchasing this barebones unit, stretching my budget as much as possible for the processor and then using my current HDD, PSU and GPU.

You should throw in a SSD hard drive... will help with reboot times if and when you get disconnected during a raid. 120 should be fine if you learn how to manage the space with a secondary drive, or if you can manage the expense a 256.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arent you better off just sticking another $50 and getting the i5-4690k?

I don't really know why people need higher settings on wow for 25 man, its just a clusterfuck, I know they are changing the amount of visuals but my last computer I'd rather run at a mixture of low-high settings and get 50-60fps than run at high and risk going from 30 down to low 20's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Arent you better off just sticking another $50 and getting the i5-4690k?

I don't really know why people need higher settings on wow for 25 man, its just a clusterfuck, I know they are changing the amount of visuals but my last computer I'd rather run at a mixture of low-high settings and get 50-60fps than run at high and risk going from 30 down to low 20's.
    I'd be more than happy to run at a mixture of low-high settings and get 50-60 fps. It would be better than running on low settings at the moment and struggling to break single digit FPS.

Is the difference between the i5-4440 and i5-4690K that large? I was contemplating using the difference to get a larger SDD as suggested.

But to clarify, the combination of an i5-4440 / i5-4690K and GTX 660 Ti should be fine?

Edit: I've just realized there is an upgrade help sub-forum. Sorry for this thread being in the wrong place! I've decided to opt for the i5-4690K and then splash on an SDD in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by mmocbb91367365; 2014-08-16 at 09:45 AM.