Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Have you ever been to a DJ concert?

If you have. Explain to me please how you felt. Trying to wrap my head around a concert without a rock group.

Deleted
    Never been to one, but it's probably further towards being in a club with just having amazing music playing all night and dancing the white off your ass than going to like, a concert to see people perform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw Fatboy Slim, was one of the best concerts I've been to.

How did I feel? Ecstatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Saw Fatboy Slim, was one of the best concerts I've been to.

How did I feel? Ecstatic.
    Doesn't he actually sing and play an instrument?

Drugs everywhere, underage girls wearing inappropriate clothing, water water water, and someone almost lighting your shirt on fire while lighting up a joint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Doesn't he actually sing and play an instrument?
    He just mixed.

He can sing and play an instrument though, he was a guitarist/backing singer in The Housemartins.

Deleted
    grandmaster flash at concord 2 in brighton many many years ago.

Deleted
    Surprisingly, I was dancing, jumping and having a blast.

I know, shocking.

Deleted
    Whereever I go Andy C always seems to be there. Anyone else have this problem?

But yea as Kalis said 'Ecstatic.'

I'm with you though Jay, much prefer to seem a band then some chap pressing spacebar on his laptop and pretending to turn knobs that do things on a deck.

John Digweed is Jesus.
    How did I feel? Wonderful, great energy, lots of dancing, lots of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    grandmaster flash at concord 2 in brighton many many years ago.
    OOOOO nice, nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Drugs everywhere, underage girls wearing inappropriate clothing, water water water, and someone almost lighting your shirt on fire while lighting up a joint.
    At least you weren't that guy who had the mini pipe. lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Parov Stelar was the last one, almost a year ago, missed a few good ones this year due to college classes.
    He did DJ but was accompanied by a live band, but yeah, was extremely awesome, if a bit short.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grandmaster Flash would be awesome. I thought they were an old school rap group?

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Whereever I go Andy C always seems to be there. Anyone else have this problem?

But yea as Kalis said 'Ecstatic.'

I'm with you though Jay, much prefer to seem a band then some chap pressing spacebar on his laptop and pretending to turn knobs that do things on a deck.
    You're joking, right?

Djing, is inSANELY difficult and hard to keep track of if you're layering and have nice beats.

Here's the thing OP, electronics have been used in music since 1931 with the first electric guitar in big band jazz. Electronic music is just an evolution of that. Even distinguishing it as "electronic music" feels stupid since music has been electronic for so, so long. Even now, all bands use digital effects processors on their guitars, and drummers use hybrid acoustic/electric drum sets. They're called drum triggers(google it), they're mostly used in metal bands so they can sound like they're playing harder and faster than they really are. Even companies who claim to make vintage-styled tube gear are actually using solid-state digital chips to re-create those sounds. Now as for a straight up DJ set, yeah, I can't imagine it being too exciting, but it makes the show more about the music and the crowd around you than a bunch of rockstars on stage. My favorite electronic dance artists incorporate live instruments (usually drums) into the show to make it more interesting and give it an organic contrast with the digital music. Check out Dan Deacon, for example:

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I consider them more just big parties than concerts.

I have been to the Roskilde Festival 3 years in a row and the Sziget festival in budapest so i have seen a few, i love it. Major Lazer was the last i saw, was pretty good.

Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Reads people trying to justify DJ-ing as being difficult*

*Grabs a drink and popcorn*
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zozobra View Post
    Here's the thing OP, electronics have been used in music since 1931 with the first electric guitar in big band jazz. Electronic music is just an evolution of that. Even distinguishing it as "electronic music" feels stupid since music has been electronic for so, so long. Even now, all bands use digital effects processors on their guitars, and drummers use hybrid acoustic/electric drum sets. They're called drum triggers(google it), they're mostly used in metal bands so they can sound like they're playing harder and faster than they really are. Even companies who claim to make vintage-styled tube gear are actually using solid-state digital chips to re-create those sounds. Now as for a straight up DJ set, yeah, I can't imagine it being too exciting, but it makes the show more about the music and the crowd around you than a bunch of rockstars on stage. My favorite electronic dance artists incorporate live instruments (usually drums) into the show to make it more interesting and give it an organic contrast with the digital music. Check out Dan Deacon, for example:

watched 8 minutes of this. Not impressed at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    You're joking, right?

Djing, is inSANELY difficult and hard to keep track of if you're layering and have nice beats.
    Press spacebar, l8r. There are some who do and some who don't. Prerecorded DJing is all the rage. Top DJ like Armin Van Buuren tailors it for the crowd and mixes live props to him. Afrojack is a main offender for pressing play, Deadmau5 even says he barely does owt and he could have someone filling in for him in about an hour of instruction but its about the show I guess.

I rocked out to this shit anyway at festivals when its on but I wouldn't go seeking it, its like going and watching Britney mime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    watched 8 minutes of this. Not impressed at all.
    I didn't ask you to like it, I asked you to check out the way he incorporates live drums in his music. Which you did, so good job. My point is that all music is electronic, whether it's one dude spinning discs, or a full rock band. it's all electronic these days.