Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Anyone have difficult family members?

My sister just got pregnant with a foreigner and they act like they are the best, and call everyone lazy. The other three are religious extremist who basically keep me outside the loop because I don't believe in it, and I'm starting to feel like they are phasing me out because of their own insecurities. It's seriously frustrating being around such narrow sited people that claim to be the ones that love you. So glad I don't live with any of them. Anyway my life goes smooth for the most part and I'm very happy with it. Until I see them again.

I've never quite understood the attraction of having to like someone because they share the same DNA as you.
    If they don't like you, you you don't like them.. There is no need to try to make the relationship work.

Deleted
    I'm the difficult one.

Deleted
    My father was difficult when he was still alive. My younger brother is difficult, I can't get along with him, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I've never quite understood the attraction of having to like someone because they share the same DNA as you.
    If they don't like you, you you don't like them.. There is no need to try to make the relationship work.
    We don't see each other a lot, but I'd expect at least somewhat civil behavior. I am ok with diversity in my family and don't expect everyone to have the same view, but it's a serious issue to me when somebody tries to guilt or push me into their own beliefs probably just to make themselves feel better.

Deleted
    OP, i'm in the same boat. just don't make a lot of contact and live your life. I know it can be rage inducing and you might start hating them hard, but it's best to not give in , just nod and steer your ship away!

I had to move away since the people in context are living next to my parents. live is been good so far. Well, you have those occasional 'family nights/reunions' but I'm there to eat, not to have a chat with family members other than my parents...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah. My lazy brother has annoyed me for most of my life and my family thinks I should just forget all that and love him and his lazy wife too. I love my little nieces, but their lazy parents I can't stand.

Ah well it's making me feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

Hmmmmmmm? My family isn't as disfunctional as others so I can't really claim to be on the same tier. They're not perfect by any means but I'm not the kind of guy to complain.

My friend has a fucked up family. It's the reason my signature says I have a graphic artist "for now," because his family is always holding him back. He has like an older (he literally calls her) crazy sister who seeks attention and has horrible boyfriends. His younger siblings are kind of distant. His mom is really unacceptably fucked up from what it sounds. His dad sounds cool though. (His mom and dad aren't together.)

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Oh yeah. My lazy brother has annoyed me for most of my life and my family thinks I should just forget all that and love him and his lazy wife too. I love my little nieces, but their lazy parents I can't stand.
    I know someone whose brother is a lazy prick too.
    But his parents think there are rainbows shining out of his arse.
    I can see where you're coming from, and can relate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have like, the happiest family on the planet.... We have a family dinner every Sunday, I see at least one of my family members or speak to one every day. We haven't had any drama's in years... The most dramatic thing about my family is that all 4 siblings start with the letter M.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I'm gonna need clarification on what "annoyed me" means.

Yes, everyone in my family is difficult.

I wonder what they think... :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I know someone whose brother is a lazy prick too.
    But his parents think there are rainbows shining out of his arse.
    I can see where you're coming from, and can relate.
    In my situation the problem is she doesn't even know what I do during the day, and for a living. I'm not overweight and for the most part my income comes from investments. Does that make me lazy? I even run on the treadmill. It's just the arrogance and the fact that she's purposely trying to piss me off by saying something untrue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crackleslap View Post
    I have like, the happiest family on the planet.... We have a family dinner every Sunday, I see at least one of my family members or speak to one every day. We haven't had any drama's in years... The most dramatic thing about my family is that all 4 siblings start with the letter M.
    Is it a very controlled environment. Or is it more liberal?

I have an older half-brother. I don't have anything in common with him. He's American, somewhat uneducated. Kind of uncouth, dislikes other races and any and all religions/religious people.

He's difficult to have any sort of relationship with. I'm the opposite of him in a few things. I went to college (he got his GED and became a mechanic), am moderately religious vs his hostility to religion, he's very provincial and has never left the United States, while I've lived in both the EU and the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm gonna need clarification on what "annoyed me" means.
    From the age of 3 he would randomly kick me in the balls and laugh. He would also get away with it because "he didn't know better." I used annoyed to put it nicely. I've wanted to beat the shit out of him for most of my life. He would just sit on his ass and not do chores. In which case once I was done with mine I had to "help" him with his. When we moved out together, big mistake :/, he still would just sit on his ass and not clean up after himself. If I ever said anything about it I would get a call from my mom or grandmother about how bad his life was.......

Everyone in my immediate family really...

The families of my parents are really difficult / annoying but the good thing is, they all live in northern Germany while we live in the south. In the last months some bad stuff happened on my mother's side and now I won't have any contact with them anymore, not that I would be sad about it. My close family is alright.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have an uncle who is a narcissistic sociopath. The guy is, quite literally, evil. It's a difficult situation because on the surface he is very charming - a successful businessman, devoutly religious etc, but underneath he is a snake who would happily (and actually has) sell his own mother. We have irreconcilable differences that can never be addressed.

As if that's not enough, my wife's brother married a woman who has borderline personality disorder. She is totally bonkers and her husband, (my wife's brother) cannot see it. They have totally shunned my wife's entire family - including parents and all siblings.

This situation is potentially reconcilable assuming the two of them ever recognise her condition, acknowledge how we have been victimised by the two of them, and seek help for her disorder - not that I have much faith in that ever happening - although I do suspect that eventually their marriage will implode at which point we may be able to salvage some sort of relationship with my brother in law.

I realise that there is a school of thought that says "family is family" but I have had to learn the hard way that there are some lines that cannot be crossed, even by family members, and that to do so can and should result in severing all ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    My sister just got pregnant with a foreigner
    Oh my God!