Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nudity and sex are bad, but extreme violence is OK?

This question bugged me since I first learnt at the age of 3 or so that I wasn't allowed to watch some movies my parents watched. I never understood the reasoning behind hiding the reality from children.

Let's take a look at two games: World of Warcraft and Playboy: The Mansion.

World of Warcraft features role-playing a serial killer. You literally kill many thousands of all kinds of creatures and sentient races, including humans.
    ESRB rating: T, 13+

Playboy: The Mansion features role-playing the businessman who founds the Playboy magazine. You get to build relationships with people, including sexual ones. You don't kill a single person.
    ESRB rating: M, 17+

So, murdering thousands is fine for 13 y/o while building sexual relationships with other people is not? I've always thought that serial murder is considered bad in our society and sex is considered one of the best experiences a human can have. So why did our society get it all upside down when it comes to video games, movies, books, etc.? Since when are woman's breasts worse for a kid (who, by the way, has seen them multiple times when his mother fed him) than cutting people in pieces?

Not a sarcastic post (well, maybe a bit), I am genuinely curious what causes people to view nudity worse than murder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    One word. Religion.
    Yes, I am pretty sure initially it was the main reason, when sexual desires were a sin while going with crusaders to kill thousands of "heretics" was viewed as a great thing to do.

But aren't we past that point when religion dictated how we must live?

Nudity and sex are not bad. That's like saying babies are bad.

Killing in video games isn't murder.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    For many people no. Give it time though, as information becomes easier to access and children are better educated religion will stop taking such a strong emphasis in people's lives.

If only man.... if only.

Give it time though, as information becomes easier to access and children are better educated religion will stop taking such a strong emphasis in people's lives.
    One can only hope.

I was kind of with you until you described WoW as a RPG where you play a serial killer and murder thousands of people.

You're comparing two incredibly different things, and any argument you could have made is pretty pointless now, because at first you talk about movies, and then you switch to video games, and then you talk about sex in a game versus killing in WoW.

You could have made an argument sticking just to movies, except not really, because violent movies are also rated R, just like sexual movies are. Or you could have made an argument with video games using an example like Payday or Hitman, where you kill people in realistic ways, except you couldn't because those games are also rated M.

So, I guess at the end of the day, I really don't see your point.

Welcome to western society. Please leave your logic at the door.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

How does it look like.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Nudity and sex are not bad. That's like saying babies are bad.

Killing in video games isn't murder.
    OK, so... Murder in video games isn't murder, but having sex is sex? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I was kind of with you until you described WoW as a RPG where you play a serial killer and murder thousands of people.

You're comparing two incredibly different things, and any argument you could have made is pretty pointless now, because at first you talk about movies, and then you switch to video games, and then you talk about sex in a game versus killing in WoW.

You could have made an argument sticking just to movies, except not really, because violent movies are also rated R, just like sexual movies are. Or you could have made an argument with video games using an example like Payday or Hitman, where you kill people in realistic ways, except you couldn't because those games are also rated M.

So, I guess at the end of the day, I really don't see your point.
    Honestly, I didn't understand your objection. What do you mean by "killing in WoW is not realistic"? How can killing in a video game be realistic in the first place? Killing in Payday or Hitman is not much closer to reality, you don't kill people with mouse clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Well, I am originally from Russia, and if you think people there are any different, you are mistaken. In Western society we can, at least talk about it; try to tell in Russia or, I don't know, China that 13 y/o watching sex scene is fine - and you will be thought mad man.
    Last edited by May90; 2014-08-18 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    As opposed to other societies, such as African or Eastern societies. You must not be very familiar with other cultures.

OK, so... Murder in video games isn't murder, but having sex is sex? Why?
    If you mean inside the context of the game, sure you can murder or see sex. It has nothing to do with real life except that you typically need to be an adult in order to legally buy those games.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-08-18 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extreme violence usually gets higher age ratings in most cases, WoW's cartoon violence is fairly tame in comparison to many PEGI 16/18+ games.

This all depends on what is defined as extreme, is it games like manhunt or just there being some form of combat in there?
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-08-18 at 11:03 PM.

Nudity != Sex

PG-13 allows for brief nudity but not sex, while R allows for some sex and NC-17 allows for explicit sex. Reasons are based upon legal consent/adult ages/standards.

Game ratings follow the same basic standards as movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    One word. Religion.
    That has literally nothing to do with any of this.

Both are bad for us when we're kids. You're comparing "cartoon" violence versus actually seeing a real man dying. There are some youtube clips of people getting shot (ISIS killing random people comes to mind) and I assure you, no matter what age you are at, you will find that disturbing versus WoW.

Not yet. We're getting there. Here's hoping we do actually get there before someone starts dropping bombs.

Youth are less likely to act out fantasy RPGs. There is a large gap between playing an orc and seeing yourself as one. That's why games like GTA also fall into the same category as Playboy. Additionally, (most) adolescents know violence is bad and why, and they know there are repercussions for acting it out; sex (for some) on the other hand has not been taught as readily and teenagers are in the beginning stages of learning it. Same reason that games and television for the very young have minimal to no violence.

Just my 2c.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    ... wow can we not go to religion from post 2...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    That has literally nothing to do with any of this.

Both are bad for us when we're kids. You're comparing "cartoon" violence versus actually seeing a real man dying. There are some youtube clips of people getting shot (ISIS killing random people comes to mind) and I assure you, no matter what age you are at, you will find that disturbing versus WoW.
    I think they mean more that sex & nudity is viewed in a worse light/higher age requirement in games than killing things because of the prudish standards set by many religions. Sex in games is just as detached from real life as murder.

I'm not saying I agree that it's due to religion mind.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    ... wow can we not go to religion from post 2...
    It's the correct answer.

Even if you wanted to dance around the issue and say "society" instead it still leads back to religion eventually.