Poll: Do you regret persuing college?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    It costs you 0 to attend University here in Sweden if you are from a EU/EEA country or Switzerland(or an international exchange student) . Students who are not from those countries have to pay though, how much depends on which University, I would guess that the average is around $30,000 per year.

One still has to be able to provide for oneself though, estimated costs(I wouldn't want to live like that though tbh lol) for that is around 7300 SEK per month, which is roughly $1070/€810. One can of course apply for various schoolarships.
    I know, Jackmoves. At some point I was considering attending a Master's at KTH University, in Stockholm because of how attractive it can be to study in Sweden. Not to mention I have friends (Swedes and foreigners) living there.

I don't regret it so far as I'm doing something I want to do in college. I just hope that I'll be fortunate enough to find gainful employment afterwards in my field. Heh I'm gonna be paying student loans off til I'm 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    How long does it take to complete law school?
    3 years in general. There are other program types, but the average is 3 years. I am in such a program.

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep reading this as "perusing" college.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    College definitely pays off and I don't regret it at all. BUT, I do question the traditional path of people having to choose a lifelong career, the job you'll spend the next 40-50 years of your life doing, when you are a 17 or 18 year old. It's a lot of mornings to wake up and go to the same job day after day for a lifetime. People also change a lot between 17 and ~25 in those years. There isn't a good answer to it though, because by 22-25 people sometimes have kids and that makes college significantly harder. It's easy to end up in the trap of having to work to pay the bills and not have time or money to go to school by that point. So I have seen a lot of people getting degrees, sometimes even graduate degrees, and by 30 they realize it wasn't what they wanted to do at all and end up switching careers. My advice, when you choose what to do don't just do it for the money or because someone (usually parents) steered you into it. You have to have a little bit of a crystal ball and think to yourself, when I'm 40 or 50, will I be happy still doing this? You still have to make a living in any job, but most everyone has a career that fits them. It's also not just about smarts, some careers fit only certain personalities too. Lawyer is a good example. Someone can have tons of "book smarts" and do well in law school, but if they socially have a lot of anxiety they'll have a tough time in that as a career since it is such a social and interactive job. Lots of examples like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    BUT, I do question the traditional path of people having to choose a lifelong career, the job you'll spend the next 40-50 years of your life doing, when you are a 17 or 18 year old.
    Seems like the majority of sharp, skilled people don't really do this anymore. I'm only 29 and I've already moved from a research science career into software implementation, and I'm far from unique in that regard. If you're good at thinking and willing to learn new things, there's a lot of opportunities out there, and there's only going to be more of them going forward. Combining varied analytical skills is pretty highly valued these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    I know, Jackmoves. At some point I was considering attending a Master's at KTH University, in Stockholm because of how attractive it can be to study in Sweden. Not to mention I have friends (Swedes and foreigners) living there.
    I see! You studied archaeology? One of my best buddies did to. Tough labour market. From what he's told me many of the people he studied with have had a tough time finding work in their field. He has been doing quite fine though, worked a bit all over the place, Ireland, Lebanon and 3-4 other countries before he nailed a job at the City museum. He doesn't do much digging in the ground now ;P ... but some urban archaeology.

KTH isn't a bad school, bloody hard to get somewhere to live in Stockholm though, it's starting to get retarded, I wouldn't want to be poor and 19 years old now.

But it seems like young people here still move out from their parents quite early compared to many other European countries.

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/...et=ilc_lvps08&
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-08-19 at 10:35 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Although I wish the biology undergrad curriculum focussed more on biology courses. Electives are pointless. Calculus was pointless (should require stats and quantitative bio instead).

Trim away the unnecessary courses, reduce the program to 3 years, and let bio grads branch off into more concentrated master's programs.

I paid off my bio student loans in about 5 months by working 105 hours a week doing concrete construction in the oilsands. Now I'm working through a 2 year nuclear medicine diploma because it's actually more relevant to biophysics than my bio degree is.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

I am currently enrolled, pursuing a career in veterinary technology.

Was previously enrolled in law enforcement for a year, before a sudden change of mind made me drop that career choice and leave college with a few transferable credits.

I guess I regret the first one, but college as a whole? No.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Words from someone who went to a junior college to relearn HS stuff and is currently a economics major aspiring to become a Law Student in a # of years.

In the worst case scenario, I will be loaded in debt with a job that gets me by.

However, i'd do it again. The things that i've learned and the people I met made me grow as a person and reach intellectual heights that I never thought possible for me.

Partly.
    Did not do few things which I should have done.
    Not all of them had something to do with college itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Kind of, but maybe in the way everyone does

I just started law school so my undergrad was inevitably pointless in general, but I always do wonder what alternate reality Greymane is up to if he had chosen archaeology/history, or geology/astronomy instead of pol sci/criminal justice and the law. all of which are my main interests.
    You got your undergrad at the University of Iowa no?

Are you attending U of I law?

MMO-C off-topic should grant a credit in a career in social studies or debate.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Today I learned not to create thread titles at five in the morning.

I saw the title after I had a little sleep and I knew people were going to give me hell for that.

You people never fail to meet my expectations, MMOchamp.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-08-20 at 12:00 AM.

There was a lot of girls at college. heh

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I left college to start working and pay off some debts I had accrued. Paid them off then got a wonderful job which I thought I could succeed in with a nice pension.... Lost the job in 2008 because the new corporate over the place decided it could hire people for my position for 1/3 of my pay. I then took 2 jobs to keep my house and used my 401k to pay that while I was attempting to refinance. Now at age 37, I'm still not back in school, only working part time at 1 job again for 39hours a week (I'm sure less once January hits and part timers are automatically given benefits for working more than 30 hours even ONCE in a week for the entire year) , for not much more than minimum wage, lost my benefits, my newly accrued 401k has been spent trying to keep bills paid. I now live in a city with a much higher cost of living where I can only pay 1/3 of the rent my roommate pays and if I were to even think about going back to school it costs more than twice over what it did back in 1996 when i first attended... on top of the fact I make less now than I did in 1998.

I kinda wish I had a college degree MAYBE it would have saved me from my current predicament but... some of my co-workers do have multiple degrees and make what I make. Some of my supervisors/managers have degrees but have much better people skills, leadership coaching skills and overall group speech skills than I. Yes I did supervisory for a few years, but I was no where near as effective a speaker or coach so even with a degree I'd most likely be even more poor than I am now as I'd have yet... another bill to struggle to pay every month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    You got your undergrad at the University of Iowa no?

Are you attending U of I law?
    I did not. I went to School in NY. I am currently at Hofstra Law. Its a pretty nice school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I did not. I went to School in NY. I am currently at Hofstra Law. Its a pretty nice school.
    Congrats man. Hopefully I will...

No, I will be right behind you. I'm gonna be a law student next fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Congrats man. Hopefully I will...

No, I will be right behind you. I'm gonna be a law student next fall.
    Gratz bruh! Its gonna be hard work, but will be worth it. Are you in Iowa and thats why you asked?

10+ Year Old Account
    What I went to college for is irrelevant to what I have as a job. If I had dedicated the time I wasted in a classroom and used it moving up the seniority roster at my job I would have been better off much earlier than I am now.