Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Moved to Netherlands, need to buy gaming PC

Hello fellow gamers,

I've recently moved to the Netherlands from Syria to continue my education. I need to get a new PC (for gaming and for 3D applications).

What is the best method to get one? some of my friends recommended alienware UK, but i found it to be kinda overpriced (does it worth it?). Others recommended eBay (something like this >> http://goo.gl/aOjy8K).

Back in Syria I used to build my own PCs because I knew the market but here I'm kinda lost.

I paid a visit to mediamarkt and found some offers but I felt that they are also overpriced ( not like alienware however).

Is there any advantage of buying a complete desktop (alienware, mediamarkt or ebay) rather than buying components from amazon and building the PC myself?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: There is something odd about the ebay PC. The video card itself is more than 450 euro. How come the whole PC is only for 635 euro???
    Edit 2: I see now, it's an offer.
    Last edited by mmoc3b3809ed92; 2014-08-20 at 11:37 AM.

Deleted
    Ordering online and building it yourself (if you at least know what a motherboard is) is always the best and cheapest way. Buying things in store = paying that extra margin in price so they can keep the store up and pay their employees. Buying online can save you 100-200€ easily.

15+ Year Old Account
    I built my PC with components from www.alternate.nl it's a nice site for components. buying a complete desktop always leaves with at least a few undesired components, and usually a bit overpriced. I also recommend not buying alienware, it's always overpriced.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneZ View Post
    Edit: There is something odd about the ebay PC. The video card itself is more than 450 euro. How come the whole PC is only for 635 euro???
    It's an auction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't there IT shops to buy individual components? I don't understand people who buy integral branded systems.
    Oh and NL is a good choice.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    I built my PC with components from www.alternate.nl it's a nice site for components. buying a complete desktop always leaves with at least a few undesired components, and usually a bit overpriced. I also recommend not buying alienware, it's always overpriced.
    I can vouch for this website. Ordered a motherboard and graphics card a year back and if they have them in stock you get it the next day. Atleast in my experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tweakers.net has a pricewatch for pretty much any component you might need.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

This price comparing site is what most Dutch people use for parts. This way you always get the cheapest prices. Most people build themselves I think.

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/#highlightCat:932

It is all in Dutch so I am not sure if everything is clear for you though. Let's see:
    Basiscomponenten = basic components
    Moederbord = main board
    Videokaart = videocard
    Behuizing = case
    Voeding = power supply
    Geheugen intern = internal memory

Opslag = hard drives
    interne harde schijf = internal harddrive

Software is clear but under that you will find besturingssysteem which is operating system.

To see the cheapest price:
    Top left above the item list you see "Sorteer op" (sorting by). Select "Prijs (oplopend)"

It is mostly webshops though and they allow you to pay through Ideal or Creditcard. Paypal maybe, not every time probably because Dutch people love Ideal.

If you need anything else translated, let me know by PM okay? Not a super computer wizard though so your better off asking people around here for questions regarding that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2014-08-20 at 11:53 AM.

Deleted
    Thank you all for your reply, and special thanks for Bolson13 for your kind translation.

I found a complete PC on alternate.nl for 735 euro, and then checked the individual components prices on amazon.de, the difference is less than 50 euros, or maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I'll check tweakers.net

I'm from the Netherlands. Don't buy any complete desktops here because they're way overpriced. Including the ones you'll see discount tags on, like for example crappy laptops at the Media Markt selling for 999 euro instead of 1499 euro while they're only worth 400-500 max. Like Bolson13 said, use Tweakers. Making one yourself here isn't too expensive, and several times cheaper than a complete desktop. Though countries outside the EU remain cheaper when it comes to components. You can make a PC here which runs most of the latest games on the highest settings for about 750 euro. If you'd want to buy a complete one, it'd cost at least 1500-2000 euro. There are tons of PC stores (such as Dixons) who claim to sell Gaming PCs for 750-1000 euro, while they can't handle anything, and I'm talking from experience here. So once again, never buy complete desktops in the Netherlands, only components. Not only due to the price, but also because of the multiple errors you'll find in complete desktops here.

Enjoy your stay in the Netherlands

P.S.: When using Tweakers, and you found a company who sells your piece of hardware for the lowest price, make sure you check the reviews of said company first. There are a few companies listed on Tweakers (only a few out of the hundred) who tend to scam you. Such as selling you an used product, products without guarantee, or not being able to contact them or get money back in case of a mistake at all. Some also tend to just take the money and not send you the product at all. But once again, there are only a few companies who do that, but you do want to check them in case you're going for the cheapest product on the list.
    Last edited by Tisane; 2014-08-20 at 12:29 PM.

Thank you all for your reply, and special thanks for Bolson13 for your kind translation.

I found a complete PC on alternate.nl for 735 euro, and then checked the individual components prices on amazon.de, the difference is less than 50 euros, or maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I'll check tweakers.net
    Do you speak German by chance? You link a computer in the original post from an Austrian company and you compare Dutch prices with Germany

Don't forget that German VAT is 19% but you also need to factor in shipping. If you can get something cheaper in another EU country then go for it (if you feel comfortable, i mean there might be problems with something and you will have to discuss it with say, an Italian company )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Though countries outside the EU remain cheaper when it comes to components.
    Ordering from outside the EU you need to be aware that you probably also pay shipping and your package can be inspected by customs (since it will most likely be sent so it doesn't cost anything) after which you need to pay extra costs. Hense why ordering from play-asia or so can become very expensive in the end

A youtube film on how to build a PC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQXFkzZ1Ac

I'm from the Netherlands, And i build my own PC.
    It's mostly cheaper then any store bought PC with same specs.

Just take 2-3 days to research the parts you need and use the website http://pcpartpicker.com to assemble your build.
    This site also checks your build so you don't pick any parts that won't fit together.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

It is probably good if you link it, then people can check it. Maybe there are some inferior things inside like a crappy PSU or mobo or .....

10+ Year Old Account
    What Tisane and Bolson13 said.

Tweakers pricewatch and always check the reviews of the selling company.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    It is probably good if you link it, then people can check it. Maybe there are some inferior things inside like a crappy PSU or mobo or .....
    Here it is >> http://goo.gl/3CHkod
    I just changed the case to Cooler Master CM690 and removed the OS.

Not sure but that 260X seems to be comparable to a 650TI in benchmarks on tom's hardware. So that seems a bit low.
    Also, even if I don't change anything, it says 799.

Let me make a list for similar things from pricewatch:
    Zalman ZM-T4 case: €31,80
    Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (same mobo): €92,80
    Seagate Desktop HDD, 1TB (same HDD): €48,80
    Intel Core i5 4570 Boxed (same): €170,95
    Crucial CT102464BA160B (standard 8GB crucial, same): €68,09
    LG GH24NS90 Zwart (DVD, Same): €19,70
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 EN OEM 64-bit (english is 10 euro extra but okay): €89,80

Total without the video card is €521,94
    Add a decent video card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming €213,95 (260x is €108 btw).
    That is €740,-

So you save €60,- and have imo a better PC. And that €60 you could spend on say a better processor or a better video card perhaps. (or pay a PC student at your uni €60 to put it together )

And since you already know how to build a little bit + all the stuff that you can find online you are a "thief of your own wallet" if you buy the premade one (a Dutch expression ).

Anyways, maybe somebody else can give an opinion on that alternate PC but imo, premade is always going to be much more expensive.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2014-08-20 at 03:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Not sure but that 260X seems to be comparable to a 650TI in benchmarks on tom's hardware. So that seems a bit low.
    Also, even if I don't change anything, it says 799.

Let me make a list for similar things from pricewatch:
    Zalman ZM-T4 case: €31,80
    Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (same mobo): €92,80
    Seagate Desktop HDD, 1TB (same HDD): €48,80
    Intel Core i5 4570 Boxed (same): €170,95
    Crucial CT102464BA160B (standard 8GB crucial, same): €68,09
    LG GH24NS90 Zwart (DVD, Same): €19,70
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 EN OEM 64-bit (english is 10 euro extra but okay): €89,80

Total without the video card is €521,94
    Add a decent video card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming €213,95 (260x is €108 btw).
    That is €740,-

So you save €60,- and have imo a better PC. And that €60 you could spend on say a better processor or a better video card perhaps. (or pay a PC student at your uni €60 to put it together )

And since you already know how to build a little bit + all the stuff that you can find online you are a "thief of your own wallet" if you buy the premade one (a Dutch expression ).

Anyways, maybe somebody else can give an opinion on that alternate PC but imo, premade is always going to be much more expensive.
    Thanks a lot man, much appreciated. I'll go with something similar to what you've suggested.

Another question, if I found component X cheaper on amazon.de than pricewatch, would it worth it to buy it from amazon? or shipping fee will be higher?

The website should tell you if there is a shipping fee. But there are at least no custom charges within the EU.
    Maybe you can chose slower shipping or so to make the shipping completely free?

Also, if you can list the parts you want to buy before, there will be probably somebody here to check if there is nothing wrong with it (like a too small PSU for the video card or something). Like I said, I am not the most knowledgable about the details of every specific part.

15+ Year Old Account
    OneZ:

Are you able to build your own PCs?
    If so I suggest grabbing the components from Afuture.nl

They are a webshop I use a lot for both business and consumer builds and have good prices in general.

If you need a list of components, give me a budget and i'll make you one.

Just make your specifications of what you want to have or have preferences in it. (such as games)

Deleted
    Thanks again for your kind help guys.

Here is the rig that i'm planning to get:

MoBo: Asus ROG VII Ranger
    CPU: Intel core i5 4570 Boxed
    Video Card: MSI GTX 770
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB (1600/9)
    PSU: Seasonic Evo M12II
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST
    Case: still deciding.

what do you think?