Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Got the Call - BOOT CAMP!

So, was supposed to go in October, turns out I'm going...Monday.

I'm both psyched and nervous, but hey shit happens.

Any advice? I was told not to eat the oranges (probably will only get that if you know what I'm talking about).

Deleted
    Don't laugh at the drill seargent, no matter how funny his abusive tone is.

Don't be Vincent D'Onofrio.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Find laughs whenever you can, it will keep you sane. Can you sew? Can you iron well? Know how to bull boots? Eat as much as possible even if you dont feel hungry at the time, hunger and lack of sleep are your biggest hurdles. Learn all of the ranks and insignias, not just those of your own branch too. Never volunteer unless you know what it is for, the exception is during PT since you will all have to do it anyway and first to do it may get a longer rest.

Assuming you're American, don't sweat it. Boot camp is a joke. (aside from say, marines and certain specific jobs)

Do what you're told, don't lose your cool, and you'll be fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Assuming you're American, don't sweat it. Boot camp is a joke. (aside from say, marines and certain specific jobs)

He IS joining the Marines, LOL@ the 14 weeks basic training though, childsplay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vornos1 View Post
    Don't laugh at the drill seargent, no matter how funny his abusive tone is.
    Are they really as abusive as movies make them out to be? I always just assumed they exaggerated them for comic relief. :>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    Are they really as abusive as movies make them out to be? I always just assumed they exaggerated them for comic relief. :>
    A shouty man is not scary, a man that is red, trembling and quiet is much scarier.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

I am joining the Marines.

There will be opportunities for positions in your platoon - squad leader or scribe. Some drill instructors treat them miserably, other drill instructors will let them take it easy for showing initiative to lead. Get a handle on which type of platoon you're in.

In the grand scheme of things boot camp doesn't matter too much. At ITB they will make you forget everything you were told at boot camp, and in the fleet they will tell you to forget everything you learned at ITB.

He IS joining the Marines, LOL@ the 14 weeks basic training though, childsplay.
    Hey now, first step Rich lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    I am joining the Marines.
    So are you gonna say "You want a piece of me, boy?" every time you get out of the dorm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    They've calmed down allot over the years, but they are still going to yell and you don't talk back to them - at all. I don't care how mouthy you are with your parents....don't be with them.
    The military isn't for me. I'm not good with mouthy authority and I'm not good with people in general. Would just be a waste of resources for me to go there. Think you need to be a certain type of person to fit in with the military. Can't be an arrogant and mouthy dipshit like me if you want to do well there I guess.
    A shouty man is not scary, a man that is red, trembling and quiet is much scarier.
    That we can all agree on. It's still not very nice getting berated for no other reason than being a newbie.

Another important thing is to remember to work as a team. Don't try to be a solo soldier (or in your case, Marine). You help and protect your buddies.
    Always always!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    The military isn't for me. I'm not good with mouthy authority and I'm not good with people in general. Would just be a waste of resources for me to go there. Think you need to be a certain type of person to fit in with the military. Can't be an arrogant and mouthy dipshit like me if you want to do well there I guess.

That we can all agree on. It's still not very nice getting berated for no other reason than being a newbie.
    I'm one of the biggest smartasses I know, I just know when to shut up, that's the key!

Deleted
    So are you gonna say "You want a piece of me, boy?" every time you get out of the dorm?
    He will say it once then never again after Mr Big gets a piece.

Ehrm....no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    I'm one of the biggest smartasses I know, I just know when to shut up, that's the key!
    I do, too! I just never do it when it really matter, hehe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't take shortcuts, it'll bite you in the ass.

Oh, and make the most of it, you can learn a lot of useful things if you make an effort.
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-08-20 at 08:05 PM.

Deleted
    Seriously though OP, how good are you at sewing and ironing? Can you sew on a button quickly?

15+ Year Old Account
    Always wear your shower shoes.

Always!
    This is no joke, OP.