Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Necrotic plague gameplay feels.

Necrotic plague is an interesting talent but doesn't feel good to play.

This post shares no indication of actual game performance but more play style feel.

I used Necrotic plague with blood and unholy builds.

Blood gameplay is slow without Necrotic plague, but the actual feel is not as good as the traditional disease. Blood has to reapply Necrotic plague, it is not refreshed so not all non blood runes are spent on death strike. Personal play style for me just feels bad to reapply disease more than once in combat, and it feels incredibly rewarding to keep one infected mob to blood boil the next pack.

Unholy, Necrotic plague supports the fester blight gameplay. Right now unholy feels very smooth, but only because death runes are spent one at a time. Using fester at every opportunity to extend Necrotic plague shows down the gameplay tremendously.

TLDR: Necrotic plague is interesting but not fun to play. I still prefer traditional diseases. I like defile the most.
    Last edited by blasterion; 2014-08-21 at 06:39 PM.
    Nyaaaa~

Quote Originally Posted by blasterion View Post
    Necrotic plague is an interesting talent but doesn't feel good to play.

This post shares no indication of actual game performance but more play style feel.

I used Necrotic plague with blood and unholy builds.

Blood gameplay is slow without Necrotic plague, but the actual feel is not as good as the traditional disease. Blood has to reapply Necrotic plague, it is not refreshed so not all non blood runes are spent on death strike. Personal play style for me just feels bad to reapply disease more than once in combat, and it feels incredibly rewarding to keep one infected mob to blood boil the next pack.

Unholy, Necrotic plague supports the fester blight gameplay. Right now unholy feels very smooth, but only because death runes are spent one at a time. Using fester at every opportunity to extend Necrotic plague shows down the gameplay tremendously.

TLDR: Necrotic plague is interesting but not fun to play. I still prefer traditional diseases. I like defile the most.
    Why not keep this in the WoD DK feedback thread?

Also glyph of Outbreak is your friend with NP as blood.

We have an entire forum here. Why should we constrain ourselves to a single thread?

As Frost, I enjoy Necrotic Plague with Plaguebearer, primarily for QoL reasons.

As Unholy, I love the meaningful decisions between spending Death Runes on Festering Strike vs. Scourge Strike. Good stuff.

As Blood, I don't like Necrotic Plague, because it hurts QoL-- we need to refresh it every 30s. Even though I don't enjoy the gameplay, I still use it for the resource generation.

Changes I would like to see:

1) Replace the Runic Power generation effect with damage mitigation/absorption, and buff Blood's baseline resource generation to compensate.

2) Special-case damage so it's worth taking for Frost and Blood (damage of X), and for Festerblight Unholy (damage Y, much less than X). Possibly Frost and Blood could gain stacks twice as fast, still capping at 15. Or tick every second, rather than every 2. Or just increase the base damage per stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    We have an entire forum here. Why should we constrain ourselves to a single thread?

As Frost, I enjoy Necrotic Plague with Plaguebearer, primarily for QoL reasons.

As Unholy, I love the meaningful decisions between spending Death Runes on Festering Strike vs. Scourge Strike. Good stuff.

As Blood, I don't like Necrotic Plague, because it hurts QoL-- we need to refresh it every 30s. Even though I don't enjoy the gameplay, I still use it for the resource generation.

Changes I would like to see:

1) Replace the Runic Power generation effect with damage mitigation/absorption, and buff Blood's baseline resource generation to compensate.

2) Special-case damage so it's worth taking for Frost and Blood (damage of X), and for Festerblight Unholy (damage Y, much less than X). Possibly Frost and Blood could gain stacks twice as fast, still capping at 15. Or tick every second, rather than every 2. Or just increase the base damage per stack.
    I don't mind the decision making, more or less that Traditional disease I only have to keep it for as long as the CD of Outbreak which is 45-60s (depends) Necrotic plague has to be kept at least uptime of 1.5 minutes to match the CD of Unholy Blight to the very least and even that, it will have to restack, And Festering strike dramatically slows down the game play as it spents runes twice as fast as Scourge Strike.
    Last edited by blasterion; 2014-08-21 at 07:33 PM.
    Nyaaaa~

Yep. But Necrotic Plague is a talent, so you have to opt-in to that gameplay. So that's OK. In my opinion, anyway.

Yep. But Necrotic Plague is a talent, so you have to opt-in to that gameplay. So that's OK. In my opinion, anyway.
    Of course, it's a matter of opinion and preference of play style, but it looks like I am going to stick with Defile. It's safe talent, and I like the traditional DK gameplay.
    Nyaaaa~

As long as NPlague isn't a sizable performance improvement over Defile, that choice should be valid. Right now it's actually a loss, but that won't go live.

As long as NPlague isn't a sizable performance improvement over Defile, that choice should be valid. Right now it's actually a loss, but that won't go live.
    It's still a loss =P
    Nyaaaa~

Indeed it is, posted the numbers in the other DK thread.

Indeed it is, posted the numbers in the other DK thread.
    Could just buff it like crazy and make Ebon Plaguebringer only affect Traditional Diseases xD. Counter-intuitive? Hell yeah, but hey that would work right?
    Last edited by blasterion; 2014-08-21 at 09:56 PM.
    Nyaaaa~

Sure, that could work, I suppose. Be pretty opaque to players, though, while special-casing the talent in the tooltip is much more transparent.

On the topic of PvP, I used to have the idea of (especially Ashran) infect someone at the cross roads and run out only to see them infecting all of their allies with Necrotic Plague, but the Spreading of Necrotic Plague is limited and this epidemic I hoped for did not occur (It did but not to the scale I imagined) In the end Traditional Disease + Blood Boil did the job, it seems I can't just watch one infected fool run the disease into all of his friends and then some =P perhaps OP? but it's fun xD
    Nyaaaa~

Deleted
    Personally I feel it needs to be more independent of a talent. Not only is it seeming to be designed mostly and balanced around for Unholy and Festering Strike, or that it makes Frost need not Plague Strike, really it's just what Frost needed, less buttons,

It's also that there is this dependence on talents like Plaguebearer, and Glyphed Outbreak. Without these, it just won't be much of a big deal.

It feels as if this talent needs be forced to work to be stronger than original plagues, going beyond improper usage, it's a bit against the design Blizz have for things like that, how there should be no wrong choice,

Rather than have nice synergy with other talents, it requires certain ones to work, that limitation in choice for them'd have to go.
    Last edited by mmoc3b65426e43; 2014-08-25 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
    Personally I feel it needs to be more independent of a talent. Not only is it seeming to be designed mostly and balanced around for Unholy and Festering Strike, or that it makes Frost need not Plague Strike, really it's just what Frost needed, less buttons,

It's also that there is this dependence on talents like Plaguebearer, and Glyphed Outbreak. Without these, it just won't be much of a big deal.

It feels as if this talent needs be forced to work to be stronger than original plagues, going beyond improper usage, it's a bit against the design Blizz have for things like that, how there should be no wrong choice,

Rather than have nice synergy with other talents, it requires certain ones to work, that limitation in choice for them'd have to go.
    You don't need PB to make NP work, so if that's your assumption then you're assumption is pretty off.

Very true, but I enjoy the gameplay of Plaguebearer+Necrotic Plague as Frost. Once NPlague numbers are competitive versus the other two talents on the same tree, I'll use it. Ideally with Plaguebearer, because that rocks.

Very true, but I enjoy the gameplay of Plaguebearer+Necrotic Plague as Frost. Once NPlague numbers are competitive versus the other two talents on the same tree, I'll use it. Ideally with Plaguebearer, because that rocks.
    Oh I wasn't saying I didn't plan on using PB with NP but the poster i was quoting was saying that's the only way it's works which is not the case in the slightest. Raid testing on beta, granted through LFR, DW frost with the mastersimple rotation has pretty low downtime with PB, and even lower with PL. I need to get another fresh run to compare masterfrost damage numbers to my mastersimple numbers(while it's not the best way to compare damage, it's the best I can do for me personally) as well as see how downtime is, The Butcher is a great fight because at least in this batch of LFR it's basically a tank and spank fight so I just need to get around to testing it at some point today.

Heh, lots of fights are basically tank+spank in LFR. The whole point of LFR is that you can ignore most of the mechanics and still win.

Plaguebearer sims quite weak, aside from the abhorrent unholy/IT/BB spec. Hopefully it and Unholy Blight are buffed to be competitive with Plague Leech.

Heh, lots of fights are basically tank+spank in LFR. The whole point of LFR is that you can ignore most of the mechanics and still win.

Plaguebearer sims quite weak, aside from the abhorrent unholy/IT/BB spec. Hopefully it and Unholy Blight are buffed to be competitive with Plague Leech.
    Well the last boss in the first wing is pretty overtuned atm. The Butcher is probably the easiest of them all, but what I meant by tank and spank was that you literally don't have to worry about anything but the boss, at least I didn't and don't recall any adds coming in either. This test is probably going to wait until a bit(the MasSimple v MasFrost for me as I got a beta code for the crew and diablo 3 patch 2.1 comes out tomorrow, then on top of it I have to finish Far Cry 3 before Destiny comes out September 9th....so yea...If I get around to the testing I'll do it, otherwise I probably won't bother.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of Plaguebearer if one doesn't take Necrotic Plague?

Well, it's good for the unholy icy touch/blood boil build. Beyond that, without necrotic plague it's a garbage talent. Blood refreshes normal diseases rotationally, and unholy extends diseases already. It's worth something for frost, but not much-- 1 unholy rune every minute, at most.