Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Harry Reid makes racist comment, keeps job

If this were Mitch McConnell (whose wife is Asian) or John Boehner, the media would be melting down about now. Instead, he still gets to be Majority Leader, even.

Why? Because Viadd, Grand Arbiter of Correctness says so? - Masark

....what's racist here?

This is called mocking?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multiple guys with the last name Wong, what's the problem? It's a joke.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    This is called mocking?

He felt the need to apologize. And, you and I both know if a Republican said these things, the media would be going bananas.

There's no requirement for losing your job if you make a racist comment. It's not a requirement for majority leader to not say racist comments. It can happen if your employer doesn't like it, but doesn't have to happen. You say if mcconell did this the media would melt down, well where's your example of this happening?

P.S. That wasn't your typical 'racist' comment. It wasn't denigrating Asian people in any way. It was giving them a compliment. Your typical racist comment is saying that someone is subhuman because of their background. It would be saying asian people were bad drivers. Or making a joke like, "I hope you didn't drive here". That would be racist. Saying they're smart isn't the same as this.

Deleted
    They all laughed it must have been funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Viadd View Post
    He felt the need to apologize. And, you and I both know if a Republican said these things, the media would be going bananas.
    Anyone would feel the need to apologize when a bunch of shitheads take hold of a non-issue and start making it a problem.

Did the Asian CoC on Las Vegas make him apologize?

So if he apologized what are you complaining about? That you want the media to be sensationalist over every little thing that happens? Where's your proof that if a republican said these exact same things, that the media went 'bananas' (whatever that means)?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    There's no requirement for losing your job if you make a racist comment. It's not a requirement for majority leader to not say racist comments. It can happen if your employer doesn't like it, but doesn't have to happen. You say if mcconell did this the media would melt down, well where's your example of this happening?

P.S. That wasn't your typical 'racist' comment. It wasn't denigrating Asian people in any way. It was giving them a compliment. Your typical racist comment is saying that someone is subhuman because of their background. It would be saying asian people were bad drivers. Or making a joke like, "I hope you didn't drive here". That would be racist. Saying they're smart isn't the same as this.
    Oh ye defenders of the Liberal Realm, to the forefront! Our Elder Master is challenged!

How about 'keeping my Wongs straight' implying they all look the same? And why did he apologize, if it's no big deal?

Oh ye defenders of the Liberal Realm, to the forefront! Our Elder Master is challenged!

How about 'keeping my Wongs straight' implying they all look the same? And why did he apologize, if it's no big deal?
    Just to annoy you.

7+ Year Old Account
    So if he apologized what are you complaining about? That you want the media to be sensationalist over every little thing that happens?
    Yes, I want fair treatment of both sides. If they take apart George Allen for 'macaca' then they should blast Harry Reid for this stupidity.

What is this shit? Seriously, what is the point of this comment? This is exemplary of your whole purpose in this thread: To get the flame war going.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Anyone would feel the need to apologize when a bunch of shitheads take hold of a non-issue and start making it a problem.

Did the Asian CoC on Las Vegas make him apologize?
    The Hill's Jessie Byrnes, via Twitter:
    From Sen. Reid to me in a statement re: video: "My comments were in extremely poor taste and I apologize. Sometimes I say the wrong thing."

So where's the unbiased media outrage? Oh yeah, that's right...

He makes a comment mocking stereotypes right before it, why would the follow up be different?

Yes, I want fair treatment of both sides. If they take apart George Allen for 'macaca' then they should blast Harry Reid for this stupidity.
    So you're saying you don't like that people have the freedom to voice their opinion on this story? You want to force them to give 'fair' treatment, whatever that is. This just means you don't like freedom

Seriously? Sensationalist much? A bad joke is bad but its not racist. he did't imply that the asians would be better in the rice fields like a certain welfare rancher or anything even remotely close that.

10+ Year Old Account

Damn, that filter you wear over your eyes must be miles thick.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Likening a black person to a monkey is not the same thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    What is this shit? Seriously, what is the point of this comment? This is exemplary of your whole purpose in this thread: To get the flame war going.
    It worked. My day is not complete unless I annoy the piss out of some random liberal or two. Thanks for your reaction - I am off to Disney World for the weekend!

[Infracted]