Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Because this is an MMO and it's supposed to move forward.
    Because WOTLK also got old after a while, oh yes! People complained about it lasting FOR TOO LONG! Just like SoO and DS.
    Because they want to work on the game moving forward, not spend resources and money feeding nostalgia junkies
    Because every single nostalgia junkie wants a different part of each expansion, since they will also have a patch that they hail as the pinnacle of gaming.

There's plenty of hardcore content right now, hardcore players are busy playing though instead of bitching on forums about wanting to go back in time. Convenient huh that you can't be hardcore unless in a different expansion than the current one? "Because current content ain't as hardcore!!". Lol!

And so on.

It.Won't.Happen. People wanting stagnation, can keep to single-player titles.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-08-23 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Then you shouldn't have played WoW to begin with because it had more convenience than its MMO competition from the start. It was the game that made MMO's more accessible to people who had never played one.
    i played mmos before wow vanilla and its difficulty was spot on. i wont go back and forth with you. we have different opinions. blizzard would make more money (not less) off of opening a classic server. they would be able to devote that money to the server and well being of wow. Its really a win win for all of WoW players. Bringing back old players or bringing in more players from private server is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Legacy servers VS. complaints about 1+ year of ICC, ages of DS, 14 months of SoO...

So on one hand people complain about content lasting too long, and then they turn around and say "I want to remain in expansion X forever!!!!"

Does not compute.

ideally in other mmos when they roll these servers out they also roll out corresponding patches and expansions in time as well. basically relaunching the game. lineage2 has recently done a classic server (with updates) in korea and has seen a huge boost in subs since they have done it.
    Last edited by kaganpwnz; 2014-08-23 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaganpwnz View Post
    blizzard would make more money (not less) off of opening a classic server.
    For a week or a month.

Bringing back old players or bringing in more players from private server is not a bad thing.
    Still clinging to that delusion that the fact they're playing a free game is not a big factor for them playing it.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-08-23 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    WOTLK hardcore? It was the most casual "lets have everyone kill the big bad boss" expansion with faceroll 5 mans and easymode raids. This expansion was the first time they started catering to casuals.

Edit: its so a bait thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    let the casuals stay in mop.

imagine millions of players that play wotlk private servers coming back to that masterpiece of expansion
    The ability to lock your accounts to a certain level frame has been available for quite a while. While I haven't seen them on my server, I know there are guilds that do that.

About the only things you miss out on are dungeons that they've revamped like ZG, and that's not very many of them.

For a week or a month.

Still clinging to that delusion that the fact they're playing a free game is not a big factor for them playing it.
    RuneScape has been trying that, but I think it's been working because they've kept updating the 2007 "private server". That wouldn't really work with World of Warcraft as well, due to the nature of gear progression through patches before moving to the next expansion.

It just doesn't seem practical. All you'd get from it is the ability to play old raids at the intended level (which you can already do) with the abilities you had available back then (which you cannot do).
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2014-08-23 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Literally like one minute to read. But ok.
    ~1,800 words in a minute haha. Still, point is viable!

I'm surprised these threads aren't considered trolling at this point? ._.

If people that wanted legacy servers really wanted it exactly the way it was, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But as soon as they turn them on and charge you for them, you would want them to support it. Plus, what you all have in common now in wanting a legacy server would start to splinter once you were playing together. You would want them to make one minor fix, but others would want another different minor fix.

It really is the population spike in BC/Wrath that changed WoW forever. It made the gold selling industry profitable. It made it possible for a small minority to min/max the game down to a spreadsheet, which made talent trees irrelevant. It fractured the communities as people aged out and so many new people came in that wanted to do things differently.

Blizzard doesn't want to go back because they can't. All they can do is try to keep as many factions happy as possible.

For a week or a month.

other mmo's have done it successfully. not sure what you are getting at other than just boosting your post count.

other mmo's have done it successfully. not sure what you are getting at other than just boosting your post count.
    Is this the replacement go-to "argument" instead of fanboy? Seen a few use it by now about people that are way more constructive and make more sense than they do themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    how come private servers are still full after all the years?
    They're free.

And aparently, some people can't move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

other mmo's have done it successfully.
    Their "success" is pocket change for Blizzard.

Getting back to WOTLK... I'l be the first to admit it was an amazing expansion and I loved it... BUT

1. T7 was shite, let's be honest.. Naxx was really really easy, the hardest part about Naxx 25 was having 2 priests in the raid for Instructor Razuvious.. Obsidian Sanctum was even easier.... much easier and Malygos while not easy was not exactly hard either. A single challenging encounter in the form of 3 drakes.

2. The casualness - You could buy tier items from badges/emblems... They put in so many catchup mechanics to make sure people could grab hold of the gear needed to raid. 25man Tier 8 helmet? No problem just see your local badge vendor after farming heroics.

3. Easy dungeons - The problem was the classes became so much more powerful and in addition to that became super overgeared by the time they had 10man Naxx gear. The dungeons themselves were not that easy, I just dont think they accounted for how powerful everyone had become and how quickly and brutally they would overgear it. The ICC patch brought some difficult dungeons though, Halls of Reflection! MOP has this issue though 10x worse.

4. T8 - Ulduar - The greatest raid of all time, except most of us didn't think that at the time. The Normal modes were brutally hard compared to T7 and destroyed guilds, let alone the hard modes. Ulduar was more along the lines of Sunwell difficulty after LFR T7 so it was mixed thoughts... I remember getting Razorscale server first and thinking it was a big deal, it really wasn't but it still got completely nerfed into the ground within days.... like most of the instance.. Blizzard nerfed the shit out of Ulduar multiple times over, and as good as it was we'd had enough of it by the time T9 came out... and T9 came out really soon after T8.

T9 - Trial of the Crusader - One of the most hated raids of all time for being just one room. The normal mode was even easier than Naxx, considerably easier than Naxx to be honest, and the Heroic Modes were bloody hard. It's amazing how far apart normal mode and heroic were. In MOP the normal modes are relatively challenging, and the Heroic Modes progressively more so... But in T9 the normal modes weren't much above LFR while the Heroic Modes were fairly brutal.

And I say that in a good way, as a heroic mode raider the actual fights in Trial of the Crusader were incredible, I loved it but if you weren't a heroic raider it was just another one way free ticket to them epic loots for everyone.

T10 - Icecrown Citadel - Back to the Ulduar mentality of hard normal modes, they started off easy and got progressively harder until you got to Putricide which was basically a hard heroic mode difficulty boss if you were in normal mode T9 gear, the Lich King on normal being more difficult than most of the actual heroic modes.. It was a great raid but they nerfed the shit out of it, the progressive buff they introduced turned guilds that couldn't beat Putricide normal into guilds that farmed 25man on Heroic.

I loved WOTLK but it was anything but a hardcore expansion, on the whole the raid content was easier than MOP because of how heavily nerfed it was, the Heroic Mode stuff was genuinely hard but then so was the MOP stuff.. There really isn't anything more hardcore about WOTLK than MOP to be honest, and WOTLK is my favourite expansion.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Their "success" is pocket change for Blizzard.
    you just said blizzard likes to cater. you are going around in circles. ignored.

7+ Year Old Account
    blizzard would make more money (not less) off of opening a classic server.
    Blizzard doesn't seem to agree that is is the best use of their resources. Even if making more money was 100%, making *even more than that* with their focus on other goals is probably the mindset, right? They want to make money.

you just said blizzard likes to cater. you are going around in circles. ignored.
    Making stuff up. Ignored.

He's right though. Blizzard makes far more money with the subs then without. The game has been out for 10 years, they don't have many more people to draw into the experience.

I don't know why some people think they have a better business mind than Blizzard.You can freely state what you think about the current WoW, but Blizzard knows how to make money, if they knew a way to make more, they would do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Getting back to WOTLK... I'l be the first to admit it was an amazing expansion and I loved it... BUT

2. The casualness - You could buy tier items from badges/emblems... They put in so many catchup mechanics to make sure people could grab hold of the gear needed to raid. 25man Tier 8 helmet? No problem just see your local badge vendor after farming heroics.
    BC was the first to do badge gear though not in the exact same way Wrath did it. Don't remember if tier pieces were there but I'll assume not.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    You can freely state what you think about the current WoW, but Blizzard knows how to make money, if they knew a way to make more, they would do it.
    Totally agreeing with this. Of course, they're not going to shoot for drawing in some-thousands of players from private, free-to-play legacy servers, when they can shoot for people who throw their money around on services, pets, mounts, and NEW game. There are bigger targets to hit with bigger payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    He's right though. Blizzard makes far more money with the subs then without. The game has been out for 10 years, they don't have many more people to draw into the experience.

I don't know why some people think they have a better business mind than Blizzard.You can freely state what you think about the current WoW, but Blizzard knows how to make money, if they knew a way to make more, they would do it.
    i didnt say that. ive said other mmos have had success making money off of relaunching.

there are thousand of people playing private server(s) that would resub for a stable server with support.

posting on mmo does nothing except waste my time.

let the casuals stay in mop.

imagine millions of players that play wotlk private servers coming back to that masterpiece of expansion
    There have been private servers in the past that have shut down due to lack of interest. If one was backed by blizzard the interest would rise, but I don't believe that it would rise to the point that it would be cost effective to run one