Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Seems I've been invited to play. Where can I learn what is going on?

Hey folks,

When I opened up my battle.net launcher thingy today I noticed that I have been invited to play in the Heroes of the Storm Alpha/Beta whatever it is now.

Thing is, I have not really been paying attention too much at all to what this game is all about. So can y'all point me soemwhere with good noob level getting started info?

I want to be a good tester, so I guess I have some studying up to do.
    Scan my code!

http://www.heroesnexus.com/

You can find some information over there.
    Of course, You have to read a bit. Uhm, I mean, a lot
    But as soon as You get used to whole hero list and You get used what You can except from Your teammates and opponents it will be easier, and easier.

Do not forget - This is a team game.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Yay, another that doesnt even know the basics of a moba gets invited.

Yay for "testing".

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Yay for "testing".
    Yes because there can NEVER be any new players EVER.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Yes because there can NEVER be any new players EVER.
    New players, at an alpha test of a MOBA, the highest paying most played genre of gaming the last decade especially from one of the most famous companies of the last decade to.

Okay, did i mention is all about PvP and strategic decisions?

Oh wait, new players..I see it now.

Lets not bother to invite oh i dont know.. They make what? How many millions? Lets not invite pros from other games to test the game for a tiny amount of money which they would test it anyway without getting paid.

Instead, give random invites to people that have no clue and will stop playing the first moment they get flamed from what they are, completely clueless at the genre.

Like any MOBA, HoTS will be the same, if you cant handle quick reactions and decisions and similar stuff and getting flamed at for underperforming dont even apply for the damn alpha/beta of it, because we dont have enough posts of people that cant even figure out the basics of the game, because its so hard!
    Last edited by potis; 2014-09-04 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    <Snip>
    Do you need a hug?

From what the OP has posted, it seems that they would like to provide feedback. That already makes them better than 90% of the other people that could have been accepted. Not to mention if they are a new player who is giving feedback then it helps with a different perspective. From what you're posting I'm going to assume you're part of the well known 'toxic community' surrounding Mobas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jataai View Post
    Do you need a hug?

From what the OP has posted, it seems that they would like to provide feedback. That already makes them better than 90% of the other people that could have been accepted. Not to mention if they are a new player who is giving feedback then it helps with a different perspective. From what you're posting I'm going to assume you're part of the well known 'toxic community' surrounding Mobas.
    Oh no, i am quite helpful if the person wants to learn.

I am toxic when the other person thinks he has a clue when he doesnt, thats when my shit hits the fan and i become "toxic" as this generation of MOBA's calls it.

Oh no, i am quite helpful if the person wants to learn.

I am toxic when the other person thinks he has a clue when he doesnt, thats when my shit hits the fan and i become "toxic" as this generation of MOBA's calls it.
    Nah, you seem like an asshat. Is it inconceivable to you that they might be interested in feedback from a wide range of people, not just hardcore MOBA douchelords?

Infracted
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2014-09-05 at 01:44 AM.
    Beta Club Brosquad

New players, at an alpha test of a MOBA, the highest paying most played genre of gaming the last decade especially from one of the most famous companies of the last decade to.

Lets not bother to invite oh i dont know.. They make what? How many millions? Lets not invite pros from other games to test the game for a tiny amount of money which they would test it anyway without getting paid.

Instead, give random invites to people that have no clue and will stop playing the first moment they get flamed from what they are, completely clueless at the genre.

Like any MOBA, HoTS will be the same, if you cant handle quick reactions and decisions and similar stuff and getting flamed at for underperforming dont even apply for the damn alpha/beta of it, because we dont have enough posts of people that cant even figure out the basics of the game, because its so hard!
    Because they people of all skills to test. Holy hell.

You're forgetting that the game's accessibility and new player experience needs to be tested too. It's very valuable feedback. I see no reason to be upset.

Deleted
    It really is easy to jump in, and you also have alot of training modes to help you get into the game.

Best thing about Blizzard games really, they are some of the most accessible, and easy to play in the industry but still manage to bring a sense of heavy challenge.

15+ Year Old Account
    I recommend watching youtube/streams.

I learn a lot from Force's youtube, then I began to watch his stream and Iceboxd streams

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer them, I have played every hero to level 5.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Wow, you're a pissy little sack of butthurt, aren't you?
    I laughed so hard at this. Thanks!

Yes, let's only stick to the same old people every time. Let's never invite anyone new to maybe let someone experience the game that hasn't played the genre before. Let's not test out how someone new to the genre will react. We should always keep a narrow scope on our customer base! Let's not allow a new player to begin play when there is no real competitive atmosphere yet so that they can learn slowly. Jump into a LoL game as a new MOBA player, you will never want to play a MOBA again. Let them play when people don't really care and maybe they have a chance to actually learn.

But you also just need to chill the fuck out.

But to the OP: I would say play a few games before you read anything. Just play around a little bit, let people know you're new when the game starts. Then just see what you can learn on your own. Once you know a little, look up some more advanced things to get even better. Good luck, and welcome to testing!
    Last edited by Torgent; 2014-09-05 at 12:49 AM.

Deleted
    Lets drop the value of players new to MOBA are needed in the ALPHA discussion. And name calling is still not allowed in here.

10+ Year Old Account

Yay for "testing".
    Lol, rage much?

To OP, lucky you, still waiting on my invite

MOBAs are really easy to pick up, watching streams and youtube videos is a good idea. Don't be afraid to just dive in as well, the best way to learn is by actually doing it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, never thought asking for help would bring out the douchebag patrol...

Yeah I understand it is a team game, that's part of why I am making an effort to educate myself somewhat instead of just jumping in blind.

Thanks to those who actually posted something helpful.
    Scan my code!

10+ Year Old Account
    The value of having new players and such for an alpha is that they ask obvious questions that veteran designers may have simply presumed wouldn't need to be explained. As well, new players can break games like nobody's business because they don't know what they're doing and tend to do odd and counter-intuitive things that no one else would do which surfaces bugs. It's a valuable part of testing.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-09-12 at 07:17 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I go alpha months ago, but none of my Bnet friends did so I cba to play it on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Capp View Post
    Jesus, never thought asking for help would bring out the douchebag patrol...

Yeah I understand it is a team game, that's part of why I am making an effort to educate myself somewhat instead of just jumping in blind.

Thanks to those who actually posted something helpful.
    There's a very basic tutorial if you just jump in to the game. From there, you can get a little practice in on an ai game to make sure you have the basics down. Try a cooperative game after that and keep playing a hero that you feel comfortable with. When you're ready, take a deep breathe of fresh air before entering the forest of dicks and play a normal game against players. You'll probably perform badly the first couple times, but there's no way to get better except to practice.

You've already had a taste of what some people in the MOBA community are like, but there are probably are equal number of helpful people, if you ask, than there are horrendous. Most are just apathetic. The nice thing though, is that the largest number of toxic players are in the lower brackets, if you can just play well enough and not get bogged down on people trying to play the blame game, you'll rise above it all.

HotS is a very forgiving moba, it's a lot harder to tank a match in the first 5 minutes than say, in dota.

TLDR: game has a tutorial. Play it and just practice until you feel ready for a real match.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.