Poll: Do you prefer living alone or with roommates?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last roommate I had was a loudmouthed control freak who thought dishwashers were "for clean dishes only" and started confiscating kitchen supplies after I used them for arbitrary reasons, never talking to me about it, instead just leaving behind notes. Like, I used a dishtowel to clean some water that spilled on the counter. He got mad and confiscated it, for that. Like really? It's water. And if it's dirty, there's this new thing called "a washing machine," but I bet that dumbass thinks that's for clean clothes.

Perfectly good dishwasher, demanded we keep clean dishes in it. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. That, along with his douchebag attitude and a whole bunch of other bullshit like his loud voice eventually drove me out of that apartment to find a new one.

The one before that was a pot-smoking party animal.

So yeah . . . living alone is awesome. If I get a roommate, it'll be someone I know first or a significant other.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an introvert but I would prefer a roommate to living alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    With my wife... so I guess roommates?
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I'm single, so alone. If there's a mess, I know it's my fault and it's not inconveniencing anyone but me. I can walk around in my underwear (or less) if I feel like it. Plus I don't have to worry about sharing food costs.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    On the one hand, you can find cheap housing if you're willing to put up with other people. I lived in a 5bdr house with 4 other college dudes, and rent/utilities was atrociously low, when divided by 5. But once you've got enough to be happy with your income, it's significantly better to live alone. I can't even count the number of times no one did the dishes. I never made any dishes, as I had my 1 plate, 1 bowl, 1 glass, 1 fork, 1 spoon, and 1 knife, all which stayed in my room. I also can't count the number of times that loud people were brought to the house when I was trying to sleep, though sometimes a great party started from that and I got over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Would be alone but would be kinda hard to afford
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Roommates bring with them their ups and downs, but you just have to present a set of house rules that people can live by and everything can be great. The amount of money saved by splitting bills can be huge. You just have to find roomies that are actually adults and not still teenagers in their mindset.

7+ Year Old Account
    IF you can find a trustworthy roommate, then you can cut your cost of living nearly in half. It's definitely worth it. Of course, finding someone trustworthy is the hard part, but it happens. Hell even with my awful luck I've had 5 trustworthy roommates in my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    One room mate would be the way to go for me
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

10+ Year Old Account
    Girlfriend or alone. Only my "longer-time" girlfriends (3 so far) were the "acceptable" roommates. I absolutely get your feeling. I am actually real extrovert, I love to have people around, parties, sports etc. but when I am at home, I need feeling of intimacy. Even the best friends are somehow disturbing factors. ...
    "Ubi sementem feceris, ita mettes."

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to be alone. But an awesome roommate is always nice.

Also in regards to your problem: Let them know that you intend to move out soon so they have enough time to find a substitute.
    Last edited by Feali; 2014-08-25 at 04:02 PM.

People are difficult for me. But I do like talking to them. It's just the crap they do.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved living alone, you leave the house in the morning and come back in the afternoon and everything is exactly where you left it. No one's eaten your food, no one's made a mess in the kitchen, the tv is still on the channel you were watching before work or whatever...it is fantastic...can't wait to get another place all to myself again.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

10+ Year Old Account
    I just moved into my college dorm last week. I'm an only child in my family, so I'm used to being alone, but my roommate shares similar interests, so we get along well. If I had a choice though, I'd rather live alone in an apartment...if I could afford rent.

Alone is my preferred. I tried the roommate thing (my sister and her hubby) and it didn't turn out well. If ever I do the roommate thing again, it will be the following: my parents or my girlfriend/wife. And right now, it's the parents.

I don't like roommates. It usually strains any kind of friendship if there was one to begin with. I don't think I could do the random people again. Bad enough having to do that back in college. So yeah, alone or with parents/SigOther. It can be tough living with the parents, for all 3 of us. Hope to change that soon. Love my parents, but it would be nice to live away (and I am sure they feel the same).

10+ Year Old Account
    After having several roommates throughout my life, I've come to realize that I don't like having roommates :/

Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    I loved living alone, you leave the house in the morning and come back in the afternoon and everything is exactly where you left it. No one's eaten your food, no one's made a mess in the kitchen, the tv is still on the channel you were watching before work or whatever...it is fantastic...can't wait to get another place all to myself again.
    Oh yeah. My favorite thing with having roommates was going grocery shopping earlier in the day, come home later that night, and most of the food is gone because they had friends over (and fed them). And when you bring it up to them (hey, I can't afford to feed you and your friends), suddenly I'm the selfish, uptight prick.

Not so good times.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2014-08-25 at 04:32 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Need more options.

It all depends. Is the 'roommate' a spouse/sig other, or a good friend, or random person from roommate advertizement?

Personally I prefer living alone, but it would be convenient to have a neat freak roomie who might do the cleaning for reduced portion of rent

Also, as I get older (50+) it may be nice to have someone around. My dad lived alone in his later years, and his house was basically a hazardous waste site

Deleted
    There's always a chance you meet someone that idiotic and annoying that you will hate him/her even by looking at him/her.

Alone.

Deleted
    Alone, beyond a doubt.
    I'd never want to live in a flat-sharing community or the like.