Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cops kill 'Cops' crew member while trying to "apprehend" robbery suspect.

A crew member from television show Cops was fatally struck by police gunfire during an attempt to apprehend a robber in Omaha, Nebraska. Bryce Dion and the robbery suspect, who has not been named, died when at least 30 shots were fired at a Wendy's. Officials said all shots appear to have come from police. The suspected thief, who was a prison parolee from Kansas, had a BB gun that looked like a real firearm. "We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy and our main concern is helping his family in any way we can. Bryce Dion was a long term member of the Cops team and a very talented and dedicated person,” said a statement from Langley Productions, which produces Cops. The statement also said “an investigation is ongoing."

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/offi....html?mode=jqm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...by-police.html

Something from the Omaha article that really sticks out to me: The World-Herald has learned that at least 30 shots were fired at the Wendy’s near 43rd and Dodge Streets. Officials said it appears the only shots fired came from police.

They weren't trying to apprehend the robber, they were trying to kill him.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was carrying a "Gun" they had no way of knowing it was a bb gun :P

People making a big deal out of "How many shots were fired!!!!" know absolutely nothing of police work and how they are trained, if you use your firearm, you use it completely.

I understand you are trying to make a "Bash the police thread!" but at least be mad about the right things.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/co...olice-shooting

"The suspect fired from the pellet gun before officers returned fire, Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said at a news conference.He said witnesses and officers thought the robbery suspect's Airsoft handgun looked and sounded real, but discovered later that it fires only plastic pellets."

While a BB gun isnt fatal, I highly doubt there was a way to tell if that was BB gun ahead of time before they fired back.

I mena I know this is going to get a lot of shit, but according to the article I linked, the guy fired first so the officers responded. Unless you dont want cops to shoot back even if shot at.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2014-08-28 at 12:15 AM.

How exactly does a guy filming this shit get between the cops and the suspect?

Everytime I've watched "COPS" they generally stay BEHIND or directly next to the officers.

The lesson of this story is: Don't go to Wendy's. It's bad for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/co...olice-shooting

"The suspect fired from the pellet gun before officers returned fire, Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said at a news conference.He said witnesses and officers thought the robbery suspect's Airsoft handgun looked and sounded real, but discovered later that it fires only plastic pellets."

While a BB gun isnt fatal, I highly doubt there was a way to tell if that was BB gun ahead of time before they fired back.
    The Airsoft guns I've seen certainly don't "sound real". There's a distinct difference in sounds between a gunpowder-propelled bullet and a CO2-propelled pellet.

And to be fair, the cast member wasn't the one holding the "weapon" regardless. I understand that "accidents will happen", but when you shoot the wrong person, its generally not an accident so much as a culmination of poor training and bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    so its suicide then, point anything that looks slightly dangerous at police = you're going out in a body bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    so its suicide then, point anything that looks slightly dangerous at police = you're going out in a body bag.
    point AND SHOOT and yeah, cant feel too sorry for you.

Deleted
    30 shots fired? I wonder, if they'd shot only 29 times, perhaps the Cops crew member wouldn't have been hit and killed?

does every cop gun incident need a new thread?
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Hands up, don't shoot. Hands pointing an object resembling a gun, shoot. I just can't imagine how one of the crew got shot unless it was at the very beginning and he was in the way. Maybe he tried to move closer for a better shot when the firing happened, or maybe seeking cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

If you see this pointed at you from a distance there is no way to know if its real until it gets shot, and frankly even IF it doesnt sound like a real gun
    in a high stress situation pointing that at the police is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Isn't that the fucking standard? How can you people live in USA and not understand yet that if you point stuff at police like guns(even fake) or knives or other shit they will KILL THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU.

Sigh...some people are retarded.

EDIT: Also just to add to this whole "MANY SHOTS" bullshit. If you get to the point where you shoot your gun, you shoot to kill... and after another 2-3 bullets to make sure. You don't shoot one bullet and then go close to the guy, that's how you get your fucking brains blown up.
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2014-08-28 at 12:39 AM.

Tragic. =( I dunno about the way the airsoft gun sounded, but I'd imagine that if you're a cop in that situation you don't really wait to see if the sound is right. Spur of the moment you don't know if he has a silencer, or if you just missed something, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    EDIT: Also just to add to this whole "MANY SHOTS" bullshit. If you get to the point where you shoot your gun, you shoot to kill... and after another 2-3 bullets to make sure. You don't shoot one bullet and then go close to the guy, that's how you get your fucking brains blown up.
    people think they are playing CoD or something and need to save ammo to kill the next guy :x

10+ Year Old Account
    Im a bit confused on how the crew member got shot. Was he standing between the cops and suspect or something?

Seems odd, I would think the camera crew would be behind the cops filming.

Who cares if they get killed? They're just cops.

I remember the days when a cop dying was a tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. Police are trained to shoot to stop. Not kill. There is a massive difference. If police are being trained to kill in some states then that is very very bad.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    A crew member from television show Cops was fatally struck by police gunfire during an attempt to apprehend a robber in Omaha, Nebraska. Bryce Dion and the robbery suspect, who has not been named, died when at least 30 shots were fired at a Wendy's. Officials said all shots appear to have come from police. The suspected thief, who was a prison parolee from Kansas, had a BB gun that looked like a real firearm. "We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy and our main concern is helping his family in any way we can. Bryce Dion was a long term member of the Cops team and a very talented and dedicated person,” said a statement from Langley Productions, which produces Cops. The statement also said “an investigation is ongoing."

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/offi....html?mode=jqm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...by-police.html

Something from the Omaha article that really sticks out to me: The World-Herald has learned that at least 30 shots were fired at the Wendy’s near 43rd and Dodge Streets. Officials said it appears the only shots fired came from police.

They weren't trying to apprehend the robber, they were trying to kill him.

Of course they tried to kill before doing an normal arrest. they are cops for crying out loud

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    Im a bit confused on how the crew member got shot. Was he standing between the cops and suspect or something?

Seems odd, I would think the camera crew would be behind the cops filming.
    Right? I asked the same damn thing. How did he get shot?

Normally the crew is behind or directly to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Wrong. Police are trained to shoot to stop. Not kill. There is a massive difference. If police are being trained to kill in some states then that is very very bad.
    Your trained to shoot to kill if you have to use your weapon.
    Last edited by Notchris; 2014-08-28 at 01:21 AM.