View Poll Results: Who won the August 25th Scottish Independence debate?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • Alex Salmond

34 47.89%
  • Alistair Darling

22 30.99%
  • Draw

15 21.13%
Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Scottish Independence Debate - Aug 25th

As an American, I obviously don't have a vote, and it obviously doesn't effect me directly. However, it was interesting watching as an outsider. I wish American politics was as direct as what I saw. From where I stand though, I think Alex Salmond knocked the debate out of the park. I don't know who that Alistair Darling fellow is, but he wasn't very likable. I don't understand after watching that why any Scot would vote 'No'. I just don't see Westminster not punishing Scotland if they vote no.

Enough of my thoughts, what are yours? Do you think Alex or Alistair won the debate, or that it was a draw.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't watched it yet, only read some commentary by a political editor. Darling is the head of the counter campaign called "Better Together" - he doesn't really have to be likeable, he just has to present a good argument as he won't be leading anyone after this.

This is the second debate, the first one was a pretty one sided victory for Darling and made Salmond look stupid. The transcripts that I read really didn't make it look like Salmond was having a good time, he tried to use some bullying and scare tactics and they didn't seem to work too well. Will watch it later to check though.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still wonder how they would pay for all the social programs they love in Scotland if they became independent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, only read some commentary by a political editor. Darling is the head of the counter campaign called "Better Together" - he doesn't really have to be likeable, he just has to present a good argument as he won't be leading anyone after this.

This is the second debate, the first one was a pretty one sided victory for Darling and made Salmond look stupid. The transcripts that I read really didn't make it look like Salmond was having a good time, he tried to use some bullying and scare tactics and they didn't seem to work too well. Will watch it later to check though.
    As one-sided as the first debate seemed, this one was identical, but in favor of Salmond - at least from where I'm sitting. Darling seemed to be fumbling and bumbling over words and saying what Scotland can't do, not what they can. He also admitted that the UK can't keep Scotland from using the Pound, which was his big win point in the first debate.

Deleted
    Salmond won, no doubt about that, Darling simply shot himself in the foot and proved half of what the better together campaign is based on is false and a lie.

Deleted
    If Scotland wants to be independent they would let the English vote.

Salmond was a bully, just like the majority of the Yes voters. I fear for my country when no wins, i fear the yes voters will be unleased like animals escaping from the zoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    If Scotland wants to be independent they would let the English vote.
    That's extremely disrespectful and a bit classless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    That's extremely disrespectful and a bit classless.
    True though.

I haven't been watching it; but I did overhear one particularly stupid argument from Salmond that entailed Sweden being a member of the EU, yet permitted to retain its currency. I suppose he neglected to note that the 'higher-ups' in the EU have publicly declared regret for letting Sweden keep its currency; not to mention the fact that Sweden is treaty-bound to join the Euro eventually. Only the UK and Denmark have an opt-out.

That said, I don't care much for political polls. Overwhelmingly, they are carried out with the intent of dictating public opinion; rather than to measure it. What counts will be the result of the referendum.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2014-08-25 at 09:59 PM.

Deleted
    Scotland loves the whole anti england bravado

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcoo7 View Post
    Salmond was a bully, just like the majority of the Yes voters. I fear for my country when no wins, i fear the yes voters will be unleased like animals escaping from the zoo.
    Interesting you saw it that way. I thought Mr. Darling was rather nasty, not Mr. Salmond. Some (a minority) of the Scot voters in the audience though were a bit rude, admittedly, but that could be just cultural differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I still wonder how they would pay for all the social programs they love in Scotland if they became independent.
    In terms of GDP per capita, an independent Scotland is something like the 14th wealthiest nation in the world. They'd place higher than the UK currently does. They won't be at any risk of economic ruin.

Plus, they almost certainly will end up staying a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. So it's not like there'll be sudden bad blood between Scotland and England, any more than there is between Canada and England.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In terms of GDP per capita, an independent Scotland is something like the 14th wealthiest nation in the world. They'd place higher than the UK currently does. They won't be at any risk of economic ruin.
    That is totally dependant on the oil, which is too volatile to rely on. Sorry but i can only see a few years of oil bonuses, then bang collapse.

It's not hard to be moderately wealthy when your population amounts to only an approximate 6 million. England's population alone however is around 50-60 million, not taking into account the other regions of the UK. Nonetheless, there are various other issues that make Scotland's financial standing (on its own) a far less black and white issue.

Deleted

Plus, they almost certainly will end up staying a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. So it's not like there'll be sudden bad blood between Scotland and England, any more than there is between Canada and England.
    Until the oil runs out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcoo7 View Post
    That is totally dependant on the oil, which is too volatile to rely on. Sorry but i can only see a few years of oil bonuses, then bang collapse.
    Is that based on gut feeling or is there an article you'd like to link us? From the debate they (both sides) that it was only 15% of Scotlands revenue. I'm not sure I'd call 15% "totally dependent" if that number is indeed true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Is that based on gut feeling or is there an article you'd like to link us? From the debate they (both sides) that it was only 15% of Scotlands revenue. I'm not sure I'd call 15% "totally dependent" if that number is indeed true.
    15% makes the difference between prospering and starving to death.

Until the oil runs out.
    Unless the invest the oil money wisely, as Norway did. I can't say I have much faith in Scotland's economists however, if they deem EU membership to be good for their economy. Norway knew better.

Deleted
    Until the oil runs out.
    you mean the Gas ?