Deleted

PC Upgrade Suggestions

Hi Guys,

as WoD is coming closer, I'm thinking about upgrading my old ('08) PC. I should be able to reuse case, power supply, hard drive, dvd drive and don't need an OS license. So what I essentially need is motherboard, graphics card, cpu and ram. I was thinking about getting an i5 coupled with a 7600GTX and 8GB ram, but I'm limited by about a budget of around 400€.
    I'm from Germany and suggestions for good retailer are appreciated. In the past I used to buy at alternate.de, but since I don't really know other stores I'm hope that there's something cheaper around. Doesn't have to be a german shop, but I don't really want to pay the shipping from US
    I'm also open to using a AMD graphic card or cpu, but I'm honestly not up to date according their quality and performance compared to Intel/Nvidia.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mmoc41ddb21021; 2014-08-26 at 12:44 PM.

Deleted
    Could you provide us with a little more info of what your case and power supply models exactly are? Would help to ensure some parts fit together.

Deleted
    My case was a Coolermaster Cosmos I (loved how it looked although it was terribly expensive). My power supply is a Tagan BZ with 500W.

Deleted
    You can't get all those for 400. You most likely need a new sata3 hdd.

cpu: Intel Core i5-4690k 200€
    cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 28€
    mobo: ASRock Z97 Pro4 90€
    ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DIMM Kit, DDR3-1600 62€
    -----------
    Total: ~ 380€

hdd: Western Digital WD blue 1TB 45€

gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 2X OC, 2GB GDDR5 200 €
    gpu: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X , 2GB GDDR5 145€
    gpu: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X OC, 3GB GDDR5 173€

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Thanks for your answer
    I did already expect that 400€ wouldn't be enough, I'm fine with that, if it won't get too expensive. Let me ask you a question:
    I'm a little into computer sciences (student, also the reason for the little "budget problem"), but never thought about overclocking my cpus and I don't know too much about it, but I think I could handle that. It is worth doing it? When I compared similar cpus, I always noticed that 100MHz more meant a by 20€ higher price (that's just out of my memory, don't nail me on that^^). That's where ask myself whether I could save some money at this point.
    Some short info would be totally fine, I'm going to do the research myself, if it is worth the effort

Deleted
    In most cases when you get an i5 cpu is to overclock it, so most ppl will only reckon it with that in mind. Otherwise, if you don't plan to overclock, you might as well get an i3 @ 3.5GHz. Most games use 2cores (except crisis 3, bf4 etc) so without overclocking the i3 is more or less the same. Now if you are doing any sort of video-photo editing/rendering then you do need the more cores.

Another thing is that the price difference between a cheap Z97 board and a decent H97 board is small enough atm that for me personally its hard to justify buying the later.

In either case if you don't really need a i5 what you could go with:

cpu: Intel Core i3-4150, 2x 3.50GHz 94€
    mobo: MSI H97 PC-Mate 68€
    ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DIMM Kit, DDR3-1600 62€
    hdd: Western Digital WD blue 1TB 45€
    gpu: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X , 2GB GDDR5 145€
    -----------
    Total: ~ 414€

If your current hard drive is from 2008 it most likely is SATA and shouldn't really have to be replaced unless it is going bad.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    I don't really do a lot of video/photo stuff, I'd mainly get it for some gaming (and of course enjoying mythic raiding to the end ).
    Another question: I thought the OS would handle which application uses which core(s), so games aren't programmed for using exact <=2 cores. Guess I was wrong with that?
    Let me give a somewhat related usage scenario. If I got a 4 core cpu and I'm running WoW on 2 cores, the OS and "all the other stuff" (media player, browser, teamspeak and maybe some other kind of application I need to use for study (i.e. running self-written programs could use some ressources). In such a scenario, would you still recommend i3 > i5? I don't want to run WoW four times or such stuff, just some "normal" multi-tasking.

My "old" hdd is SATA, should still be fine