Interesting research paper from 2010 on mmo terrorism and money laundering

https://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewconten...04&context=icr
    I came across this old report from 2010 from here in Australia of all places and thought it was very interesting. Over the years way back then you used to come across the odd media article talking about means of money laundering and terrorism online that was thinking well out of the box. Especially when it talked about back then needing legislation's and laws to apply to activities in games.
    Also bonus for
    A study carried out for the FAP
    lol
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

According to that research, WoW was released in 1994, and good luck financing anything noteworthy with the method they describe. It also implies that most MMOs now "allow players to convert their digital earnings into real currency directly through the use of virtual currency arbitrage trading web sites", which is of course blatantly false. Also, banks have been increasingly made aware of these issues and tightened their control pertaining MMOs and game services in general a great deal. I got more than one call from my bank asking me confirm "suspicious movements". Upon asking how they were suspicious, the answer always was "it's for services that are known for money laundering". The games I payed for when I received such calls were WoW and GW2. I still have to call my bank and ask it to whitelist Blizzard entertainment every 6 months because it's flagged as suspicious by default and whitelists can't last longer than 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

What's that old MMO? "Second Life?" That MMO allows you to turn your virtual currency into real money, IIRC.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland