Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would a Necromancer class be too similar to warlock?

I would love if there is a Necromancer class, that would have;

1. Blood(healing through damage done by the necromancer or raid members, the bigger dps, the bigger amount the necro could heal),
    2. Conjuration(pet dps, raised pets depending on mob killed but standardised stats, different raised pet bring different utility) and
    3. Mutation(transforms into a lich/vampire to tank) specs.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2012-09-16 at 04:32 AM.

No, but it will be too similar to Death Knights. Also, what does this have to do with MoP?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Only if they take extra strides to distinguish particle effects. Perhaps make them wear something different from cloth. We could use a int wearing mail user

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    No, but it will be too similar to Death Knights. Also, what does this have to do with MoP?
    DK is a plate melee class that relies on runic power

Curses and draining effects of necromancers in the warcraft series (warcraft 3 in particular) are currently used by Warlocks.
    Summoning undead/reviving the dead are currently used by Death Knights.

So a necromancer would be something akin to a mix between a warlock and a death knight
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    DK is a plate melee class that relies on runic power
    No, Dks rely on Blood, Frost and Undead. First spec you listed was Blood for the Necromancer and it seems like the same for Dks. 2nd you listed was Necromance but you edited it out. Let pretend you didn't. Necro is the same as undead, raising different pets. "Mutation" or what you called before Shadow is basically what the DK is about. Lich and vamprisim. But here's the thing, Necromancers have nothing to do with Vampires and Lichs (somewhat) or even blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Dks rely on Blood, Frost and Undead. First spec you listed was Blood for the Necromancer and it seems like the same for Dks. 2nd you listed was Necromance but you edited it out. Let pretend you didn't. Necro is the same as undead, raising different pets. "Mutation" or what you called before Shadow is basically what the DK is about. Lich and vamprisim. But here's the thing, Necromancers have nothing to do with Vampires and Lichs (somewhat) or even blood.
    Vampires and Liches are both undead creatures, Necromancers raise the undead to do their bidding, the stronger the necromancer, the stronger creatures he/she can control.

On Topic: Death Knights are basically necromancers in plate armour, and during the development of wrath, Blizzard said that the idea behind DKs were a combination of Runemasters and Necromancers, which is why neither of those classes made it to live.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Vampires and Liches are both undead creatures, Necromancers raise the undead to do their bidding, the stronger the necromancer, the stronger creatures he/she can control.
    No Necromancer can control a Lich. Just saying

DK tank as blood, a Necro would be a good way to implement a dark healer who uses blood to heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Lich King controlled Kel'thuzad, and pretty much every other Lich in existence, with the exception of Amal'Thazad in ebon hold, who was freed along with the Knights of the Ebon Blade.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2012-09-16 at 04:52 AM.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    Necromancers, well evil ones atleast, usally becomes Liches upon death.

Liches are powerfull spellcasters that seek eternal life and through different kinds of rituals and spells atain this, usally the methods are very questionable.

There are notions of powerful necromancers controlling liches tho, but that is because the caster is already stronger than the lich, even while alive, such an occasion would be severely rare.

This is using DnD, WoW and Guild Wars lore, combined with basic occult knowleadge and common stereotypes of the necromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    Death Knights practice necromancy, ergo Death Knights are necromancers.

however, to answer your question.. no, death knights are nothing like warlocks.
    touche

O how I wish blizz introduced Necromancers as a normal class instead a hero class that is dk, but then agaon, we needed a plate wearer instead of a cloth wearer for gears distribution.

10+ Year Old Account
    DKs are basically what happens when a necro and a rune master make love. Plus too many classes have signature necro spells. It's kind of like how demon hunters will never be a class because they gave other classes their abilities too.

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC, Necromancer was one of the original classes in the concept/Alpha for WoW. They took the place of Warlocks as the Damage Over Time Cloth Wearer. Warlocks still existed, but wore Leather (also, Rogues and Hunters used shields. Alpha's crazy, right?)

Eventually, the idea was scrapped as being too similar to Warlocks, and they decided to keep Warlocks. They moved 'em down to cloth, and the rest is history...
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

personally i would like to see another plate healer...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

It would have to be quite differnt from the dark themes classes we have now, and be a hybrid i suppose.
    My only thoughts is that it could work with loads of aoe effects and possible be similar to the Witch doctor in diablo 3.
    So things like raining frogs, and locuts swarm, but also like having hands comming up underneath mobs ?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    1. healing through damage done...old shadow priest (moreso than now)
    2. ranged class with lots of pets bringing different utilities...warlock or hunter, take your pick
    3. transforms into a big gribbly to tank...druid or demo lock (they wish!)

MOTION DEFEATED
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The Lich King controlled Kel'thuzad, and pretty much every other Lich in existence, with the exception of Amal'Thazad in ebon hold, who was freed along with the Knights of the Ebon Blade.
    He's the Lich King for a reason. His power is way beyond than of some mere mortal adventurer...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    DK tank as blood, a Necro would be a good way to implement a dark healer who uses blood to heal.
    Blood mages also use "blood magic" to heal and resurrect. It's not enough to substantiate an entirely new class when they already exist (Blood DK), at a majority capacity as a spec for current classes. It could possibly make it as a spec for mages that actually heals more than themselves but meh. Same applies to Demon Hunters, which would really be hard to pigeonhole into a unique class, but could easily fill a spec for warlocks.

Should also be known, transforming into a Lich requires killing yourself, and is seen as an ascension by those who do it, so it's a one way transformation. Powerful artifacts are needed to restore them to life, as we saw with Ras Frostwhisper.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're in the wrong section, but yes.

It'd be like a warlock + unholy DK. In fact, Blizz said they designed unholy because they couldn't add a necromancer class.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    The only plausible avenue I see for putting Necromancers in the game is to make them a "fourthspec" for DKs, as a ranged DPS spec... perhaps contorting int plate into DPS gear.

However, as I don't see Blizzard instating across-the-board fourthspecs for all classes, I don't think it's going to happen. As has been said, necromancers aren't really "unique" enough to deserve their own class.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.