10+ Year Old Account

Frame rate issues anyone?

Hey all,

So I'm vexed by frame rate lag that D3 seems to cause during moments of heavy combat.
    Example the new Rift map, cesspools. 75fps with vsync on, suddenly a few mobs appear and bam, 7-10fps.
    Graphics set to max, sure. I mean this has been an issue since D3 launched, certain maps and spots cause massive frame drops.
    Guess I'm just frustrated that such a boring graphics engine can cause this type of lag. Poorly optimized?

My machine rips up any other game on the market just fine.
    4790k @ 4.8ghz
    16gb DDR2400
    Nvidia Titan Black x2
    Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb

2560x1440, or 1920x1080, makes no difference in terms of performance.
    I thought hey maybe D3 sucks on SLI, so I pulled one titan out, nope, no change.
    Maybe the Titan Black is "too new" for D3?
    So I tossed in my older 760, newp.

*bangs head on desk* It should never drop to 10fps

Maybe your latency is too high?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Maybe your latency is too high?
    It's almost never above 90ms.
    Avg. 40-70ms, even during prime time.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I actually noticed some performance issues today after 2.1.0 went live. I never have any issues at all and it's not even that bad. It's completely playable but today it's pretty often like 10% choppier.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have your FPS limited? Friend of mine had the same problem (To the point of the game completely locking up) simply due to not having a FPS cap. He turned on FPS cap, and has no problems anymore.

Turn off your sound in game. Might sound like a ridiculous idea and not really a fix, but on my PC I also had fps issues in random places. I turned the sound off and bam, 60 fps vsync non stop on max 1920 x 1080, even with 23 fetishes, BBV and a garg dog on with a shitton of mobs around.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2014-08-27 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaehatiel View Post
    Turn off your sound in game. Might sound like a ridiculous idea and not really a fix, but on my PC I also had fps issues in random places. I turned the sound off and bam, 60 fps vsync non stop on max 1920 x 1080, even with 23 fetishes, BBV and a garg dog on with a shitton of mobs around.
    Tried it. I still find massive frame dumps in areas around lava falls or lava vents, very specific ones. And pretty much anytime more than 10 mobs jump on the screen in the cesspools. I actually hit 1fps last night fighting a single rift guardian but near lava vents...

I also have played with the framecap, on&off, set to 59,60,75, with vsynic on and off, doesn't do anything =(

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Tried it. I still find massive frame dumps in areas around lava falls or lava vents, very specific ones. And pretty much anytime more than 10 mobs jump on the screen in the cesspools. I actually hit 1fps last night fighting a single rift guardian but near lava vents...

I also have played with the framecap, on&off, set to 59,60,75, with vsynic on and off, doesn't do anything =(
    The lava areas are retarded. That was even before 2.1 or 2.0.6. Disable shadows completely, maybe? They provide no real benefit to the graphics and seriously drag down your DPS, like 20-30 fps if not more, depending on your shadows level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaehatiel View Post
    The lava areas are retarded. That was even before 2.1 or 2.0.6. Disable shadows completely, maybe? They provide no real benefit to the graphics and seriously drag down your DPS, like 20-30 fps if not more, depending on your shadows level.
    It helped a little bit, but it's still freakin' silly that I would have to turn off shadows. Guess it's proof that the engine is uber sucky optimized.
    So many better shadow engines out there that don't even come close to lagging my machine.
    Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    It helped a little bit, but it's still freakin' silly that I would have to turn off shadows. Guess it's proof that the engine is uber sucky optimized.
    So many better shadow engines out there that don't even come close to lagging my machine.
    Oh well.
    what are your spec inc thee drivers your using. changing gpu drivers might fix the problem. /edit saw the specs....
    Last edited by loki504; 2014-08-28 at 02:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    what are your spec inc thee drivers your using. changing gpu drivers might fix the problem. /edit saw the specs....
    Using latest drivers, have rolled back to ones from several months ago. Sadly Im starting to think it's just the craptastic nature of the engine and a few spots on certain maps.