Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    No. Why would I want to be a leech?
    You sex the breadwinner - you get money, you drink, play videogames and netflix all day. Seems like heaven to me, I enjoy the simple things.

Of course this is under the assumption I would make sure the house was clean as hell and performed any sexual favor demanded of me.

I'm not very good at keeping up my own single apartment. The dishes are dirty, the laundry needs doing, I've never vacuumed the bedroom as long as I've lived there. So, no, I wouldn't be a homekeeper because I'm just not very good at it. I'd totally marry a homekeeper type though so it would balance out. I really don't care if my significant other works or stays at home - either is fine with me - but I think I need a couple years to earn enough salary for the both of us!

No. Why would I want to be a leech?
    How is one person doing all the house work being a leech?

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    You sex the breadwinner - you get money, you drink, play videogames and netflix all day. Seems like heaven to me, I enjoy the simple things.

Of course this is under the assumption I would make sure the house was clean as hell and performed any sexual favor demanded of me.
    So a prostitute?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    How is one person doing all the house work being a leech?
    Because all the housework <<<<<<< a job. By staying at home you are proving a net economic loss. The definition of leech.

So a prostitute?

- - - Updated - - -

Because all the housework <<<<<<< a job.
    The preposition is also assuming its a marriage, so you also love the person in question. Not just a bangmaid, as Danny Devito would put it.

... realistically I'd also be a bangmaid...

Because all the housework <<<<<<< a job.
    I would argue that a desk job is not very hard work, and that scrubbing an oven is very hard work in comparison.

I would argue that a desk job is not very hard work, and that scrubbing an oven is very hard work in comparison.
    Not in terms of a financial situation. Also in a desk job you're paid to use your head, a much more valuable resource than hands. This means the salary is even higher.

Staying at home that's sacrificing 20-40 hours a week, even in the lowest paid jobs that's in the span of hundreds, instead of cleaning for an hour before doing nothing.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-08-28 at 02:07 PM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Suppose I would, grew up in a single parent household so its not like anything would be new.

Would give me more time to troll mmo-c too, seems like a win-win.

Staying at home that's sacrificing 20-40 hours a week, even in the lowest paid jobs that's in the span of hundreds, instead of cleaning for an hour before doing nothing.
    Well depends on the overall situation really, in the UK childcare can cost more than someone can earn on a minimum or even end low wage.

Plus if your partner is rich then who really cares, might as well chase that dream of being a writer or w/e.
    Last edited by the_axi; 2014-08-28 at 02:11 PM.

Deleted
    Use Mr Muscle foam oven cleaner, leave to soak for 30 mins and it comes right off. Brains over brawn any day.

So many people with VERY stupid ideas of what a stay at home partner does all day.....

Even very, very rich stay at home partners do not shop and do lunch day in and day out. This isn't some Foxx docudrama, it is life.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Use Mr Muscle foam oven cleaner, leave to soak for 30 mins and it comes right off. Brains over brawn any day.
    Thanks, lol but I don't like to use chemicals in the kitchen for cleaning. Baking soda, vinegar and elbow grease works really well and I'm not inhaling anything potentially toxic that way.

As a history major I wouldn't mind being a mostly stay at home person, particularly once I finished my master's. Easy PhD!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I've already had this talk with my fiancee. I could have stayed home, with things like cleaning and laundry handled by the housekeeper, playing computer games, and doing a bit of writing. It would drive me crazy. The long winter break is on the outside of what I can take, enough so that I teach summer school so that I don't have two long breaks.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2014-08-28 at 03:13 PM. Reason: punctuation
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind staying at home. Of course I have enough hobbies that I could turn into something more lucrative via ebay or etsy that will also keep me from going bonkers as well.

Cleaning the house consistently is really just light preventative maintenance after the hard part is done. Cooking can be planned out in advance and honestly being at home would let me enjoy smoking bbq even more as I would be able to tend the fire. Laundry can be a scheduled task like any staff meeting and the opportunity to capitalize on my free time would make me happy.

I already work an 8-5 job tending to a "trial by fire" construction company filled with people who are grown up babies who lack any sense of self sufficiency or intelligence as it is. I have two separate prescriptions for stress related maladies and am not in a position to go anywhere else at the moment so yes, given the opportunity knowing that it would financially viable for my family I would jump at the chance to be a "home tender".

Deleted
    Probably but I work at home anyway so till that's still an option, I'd rather not depend on someone because I like to spend (who doesnt?:P)

Because all the housework <<<<<<< a job. By staying at home you are proving a net economic loss. The definition of leech.
    Housecleaning is a job that many people get paid to do. Not as much as some desk jobs, but saying that taking care of a family home that includes children including cooking, cleaning, laundry and any other little thing that comes up isn't work is a little insulting and unrealistic.

It probbaly is a net economic loss, but if both parents worked meaning they had to pay for childcare and after a day of work do all of the chores or spend time on their days off doing them instead (which they certainly don't really WANT to do)... the economic loss is probably worth it to them. Think if the loss of income as an expense they would normally have had if they were both working.

I'm not saying they're right and you're wrong, but different people have different ideas of what kind of life they want to lead and insulting those who choose that lifestyle is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Would working from home still be an option if you were the designated stay-at-home parent? Or is it too time-demanding to be able to juggle it while also entertaining the littluns, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc?
    Oh definitely an option, right now. if my business took off then it might not be as viable. However right now we don't have plans for a family.

Deleted
    Nah. And I wouldn't want my partner to not work either. Two incomes are always better than one, and the household chore can easily be split.
    This is under the assumption that there are no (young) children, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    And give up the lavish lifestyle I already live with my wife and I both working? Nah - I think I'll continue life as it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    For sure.

(I like cleaning, lols)
    all of our mothers have lied to us