Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The study itself says it was done via an internet survey, so it's not really possible to know how many people saw it and didn't reply
    I'd wager that a great deal, if not the majority only replied because they had been harassed. The vast, vast vast majority of people did not reply which completely skews the results to one side.

It's like going to a pub and taking a survey of who's drunk, then claiming that 70% of the country are alcholics.

Not sure where you're getting the misandry from, and how sure how you can justify that while claiming huge numbers of women are just... liars or something. Anonymous liars with nothing to gain by lieing on an anonymous internet survey, a survey that, as they are scientists, are unlikely to want to muddy the results of. Okay
    Nothing to gain?

You do realise feminism is constructed on coveniently presented information such as the wage gap bullshit?

That they conveniently ignore the fact that there are more men raped in the US than women ( due to prison rape ) ?

That they scream ''oppression'' despite having privileges men don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    I feel that these type of studies will always be inaccurate as they don't deal with matters of an objective nature. Sexual harassment isn't really defined too well either so it all comes down to how the individuals involved feel and perceive the situation.

Some people are more "stuck up" than others and as such they will report sexual harassment where there is none. Another person might be more relaxed and doesn't take suggestive comments or physical contact too seriously. This person might not even report sexual harassment when it occurs because of their relaxed nature. So, I don't really see the point in these studies nor do I take them seriously. It would be better to set clearer standards for what is and what is not appropriate behavior at a place of work or study. Once that is done an objective third-party can look at reported incidents and decide whether or not it is harassment and/or sexual in nature. Only then, when objective data has been collected, should a study on the matter be conducted. Because at this point it just looks like propaganda.
    Yeah, this reminds me of something that is happening in my workplace. We have a male supervisor in an area next to mine named "George" ... and he keeps saying things to a coworker of mine named 'Pete." He will tell "Pete" that he has nice nipples, or he wants to see more of his chest... (you can sometimes see his nipples if he wears cutoffs) . I think its creepy but wouldn't report it, personally. Today though, "George" the supervisor looks at "Pete" while sucking on a sucker in a bizarre way.. and he straight up looks him in the eyes and jumps his eyebrows up and down ... WTF?

Yeah, "Pete" said he won't report it, but we all think its creepy.

Deleted
    Jesus christ guys, where is all this "feminist propaganda! Graphs showing that men are evil!" shit coming from. Where the fuck is it saying anything like this? It's just a fucking survey, showing something pretty alarming, that may or may not have merit to it, and then talking about the problems with that kind of survey and why we can't take it as fact or anything but OH GOD FEMINIST PROPAGANDA do you people even listen to yourselves? And you can't say "well we already know this happens" Well clearly we don't know how often it happens otherwise studies like this wouldn't need to be done would they? If we already know how often it happens then someone come along and tell me? Until we know that, more research needs to be done.

You say "stop treating all men like rapists!" when they are doing EXACTLY the opposite of that, and say "we already know it happens, we need to focus on educating the minority who do it" but when we have no fucking idea of who that minority is without studies like this, all we can do is "educate everyone!" which people then claim is treating all men like rapists. So what the fuck do you want? Do you want us to find out the kind of people who do this and educate them specifically, and thereby not treat all men as rapists, but then more research is required, or do you want us to just spread awarness and education all around, which would then be treating everyone like rapists? Make up your fucking mind guys.

Deleted
    The important question is:
    What am I supposed to do with that information?

10+ Year Old Account
    God not this shit again,always women complaining..... ill tell you in a nut shell why you get reports like that.

When a woman has sex it either = bad experience or if shes particularly vengeful then = rape.

When a man has sex it = best feeling ever or if he feels he was raped = tell nobody ever for the shame of it is worse than death!

See?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I'd wager that a great deal, if not the majority only replied because they had been harassed. The vast, vast vast majority of people did not reply which completely skews the results to one side.

It's like going to a pub and taking a survey of who's drunk, then claiming that 70% of the country are alcholics.
    Yep, it's not perfect. They even discuss that in the study. But when it comes to sexual harrassment, it IS worthy of further study. You are talking about something that ruins peoples lives, you can't just ignore it because "well it's probably not as high as the numbers are suggesting so let's do nothing"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    The important question is:
    What am I supposed to do with that information?
    First thing to do, it seems, would be to (if you are in this kind of setting yourself, like a researchy position involving field work) look into how to go about reporting issues like these, and if proper systems are not in place, talk to someone about putting them in place. Then work from there.

Jesus christ guys, where is all this "feminist propaganda! Graphs showing that men are evil!" shit coming from. Where the fuck is it saying anything like this? It's just a fucking survey, showing something pretty alarming, that may or may not have merit to it, and then talking about the problems with that kind of survey and why we can't take it as fact or anything but OH GOD FEMINIST PROPAGANDA do you people even listen to yourselves? And you can't say "well we already know this happens" Well clearly we don't know how often it happens otherwise studies like this wouldn't need to be done would they? If we already know how often it happens then someone come along and tell me? Until we know that, more research needs to be done.

You say "stop treating all men like rapists!" when they are doing EXACTLY the opposite of that, and say "we already know it happens, we need to focus on educating the minority who do it" but when we have no fucking idea of who that minority is without studies like this, all we can do is "educate everyone!" which people then claim is treating all men like rapists. So what the fuck do you want? Do you want us to find out the kind of people who do this and educate them specifically, and thereby not treat all men as rapists, but then more research is required, or do you want us to just spread awarness and education all around, which would then be treating everyone like rapists? Make up your fucking mind guys.
    Your language offends me. Don't know you know there is a better way to communicate?

I haven't studied these statistics at all, but I'm sure that the pathetic guys that need to harass their female coworkers, won't settle for just one. Every not-ugly woman of the company will get their asses slapped at one point. That means that a single guy can do a lot of damage.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted

Titties need to be calmed a bit here.

The reason people are calling it out as "feminist propagana" is because of the way it is written, the way it has been headlined, and the limited data used to justify said headline.

but when we have no fucking idea of who that minority is without studies like this, all we can do is "educate everyone!" which people then claim is treating all men like rapists
    thats because everything when regarding raps, is aimed at men. Like women dont rape people. If you educate EVERYONE properly from a proper aga (aka school) the incidents drop on both ends. Your whole argument screams everything you are trying to argue against. It shows the flaws in your thinking and exposes you as a bit of a nutjob.

Good look pre-empting those rapists by the way. you should join law enforcement. If we knew who were rapists before they raped people, not only would it be illegal to target them (because they haven't actually committed a crime) but you would have to have some sort of mental fucked up powers. People dont fully know what turns people to rape people. yes there are indicators but you cannot treat someone as a criminal or force them into councelling for doing nothing wrong.

You have to educate every single fucking person at school age so they know this shit isnt right, removing any doubt from their mind

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    How can 0 men be aware of a mechanism to report contact yet 1 actually succeeded in doing it?
    Please don't question the ways Erin's source has used to make up their statistics, it's hard making up statistics and interpreting things in ways you'd like them you know?

Question right back at you, do you people even listen to yourselves? The reason people are very tired of some statistics and surveys which ultimatively are pretty bad ways of coming up with conclusive facts is that they've been heavily used and mostly abused by people like you to paint a picture they want people to believe (and quite likely want to believe themselves).

Recently there was a similar study clearly showing that a mayor airline around here was heavily discriminating against women in the work place, with different work shedules, earning less on average and so on and on. How did they achieve that result? They just threw everything from flight attendants to pilots together and took the average.

And in times where we basically have reached the point that local politicians around here are currently trying to change "sexual harassment" laws to equaling "anything a woman feels uncomfortable with" people are pretty sick of getting this kind of stuff thrown at them all day.
    Especially since it does not reflect in any kind of way their every day life. They get accused of these things, they're being thrown together with these people, they're attacked all the same, while never actually commiting these things or even witnessing them and sometimes actually having the reverse happen to them just to be laughed at.

So basically you'd like to have some kind of Gestapo or Inqusition running around rooting out the "evul" men, with evul being up to their interpretation and otherwise you feel justified in treating all men like rapists? Really now? Fact is, the vast mayority of men don't act in that kind of way and are not "evil people" despite what you guys would like everyone to think but the way you behave and treat them makes them eventually give up on disproving you because you put them into a situation where they lose either way, often a made up one.

So basically, we don't care anymore. I care about those people close to me, those important to me, everyone else? Tough luck. Go sort your issues out yourself but don't get me involved and if you attack me don't expect me not to respond in kind. Maybe you'd like to discuss with the Femitheist how reducing male population to 1-10% and having public castrations could help solve this problem? (Hyperbole I know.)
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2014-08-28 at 11:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Selection bias is a thing, ESPECIALLY over the internet. Those that have been harassed are much more likely to respond to such a survey than those who have not. Get a representative cross sample of the STEM population, and make sure everyone responds.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a man and I'm sexually harassed all the time doing fieldwork in the sub-arctic. All these girls always gawking at me just because I have to wear wet suits and fly a helicopter, don't they know I don't like getting hit on when I'm just trying to further my education, I can get my own drinks and food why would I want you to do that for me, assholes. I mean who, in a remote location for a long period of time, enjoys the attention of other people, distracting them from the monotonous downloading of data logger data. It's not like we're animals... I don't want people to care about me, if everyone I met was indifferent to me life would be so much better.
    Last edited by PLS; 2014-08-28 at 11:35 AM.

The failure is simply put if you highlight a problem but provide neither insight as to why it happens or propose action to solve it all you are doing is providing fuel for the fire in an argument that is guaranteed to follow.

Some suggestions for what could have been done:

A mechanism to factor in those who received but did not respond to the survey, this is highly important as non response is still a valid response.

A breakdown of under what conditions these events occurred i.e. by location, duration of the field work

A greater in depth report on the categories, the received comments is quite frankly insulting, everyone receives comments and many also give back so they need to structure this into not only did you receive a comment but how did that make you feel and did you perceive malice behind it

Important questions are also missing -
    (1) do you believe this issue has impacted you ability to work in your chosen field
    (2) Was the issue dealt with to your satisfaction either by your self, informally or formally
    (3) Did the workplace provide the support and assistance required

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I haven't studied these statistics at all, but I'm sure that the pathetic guys that need to harass their female coworkers, won't settle for just one. Every not-ugly woman of the company will get their asses slapped at one point. That means that a single guy can do a lot of damage.
    A single culprit whether female or male usually has a lot of victims, this grossly distorts the picture. However people like Erin LOVE that, since it allows them gross generalizations and outright calling for some Gestapo like organisation hunting all the evil people. (Evil up to their interpretation.)

Of the people they surveyed, 666 responded, 77.5% of whom were women...
    So, it's well established that there's an enormous response bias in their data, yet they're still treating their data as meaningful. Bad scientists are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Selection bias is a thing, ESPECIALLY over the internet. Those that have been harassed are much more likely to respond to such a survey than those who have not. Get a representative cross sample of the STEM population, and make sure everyone responds.
    But if they do that, they might not get the sensational outcome that they're looking for. Of course, they might, but why take chances when there's a political ideology to be pushed?

Jesus christ guys, where is all this "feminist propaganda! Graphs showing that men are evil!"
    In the percents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, it's well established that there's an enormous response bias in their data, yet they're still treating their data as meaningful. Bad scientists are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

But if they do that, they might not get the sensational outcome that they're looking for. Of course, they might, but why take chances when there's a political ideology to be pushed?
    I HATE bad science

Here's the full paper. Here's the question:
    Have you ever personally experienced inappropriate or sexual remarks, comments about physical beauty, cognitive sex differences, or other jokes, at a field site?
    What a shit show. Characterizing "sexual harassment" that broadly renders the term meaningless.

I'm also unable to even find the response rate in their statistics section. These people are bad at science, pushing an agenda, and everyone that reviewed this paper before it was published is shit at their job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I HATE bad science
    Knowing not to trust garden-thieving rabbits is just common sense.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow