Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

I genuinely think basic social skills are dying

And I blame social media and apps. Let me try to explain:

I remember the days when you would have conversations either on phone or in person. These days it feels like people would rather have 5 word max conversions via text, apps or FB than actually meet or talk. What's worst is people seemingly fluster when you explain you don't have apps. Unfortunately it doesn't end there, even if you do meet them it's like they're surgically attached to their phone! I do believe this has all accumulated in a number of people (usually those under 25) struggle to hold simple conversations

Deleted
    People are genuinely shocked when they find out I don't own a smart phone, I enjoy not being pestered by chat apps and things like that.

Deleted
    You just have shit friends. Or if people are reaching for the phone when you knock up, you are dangerously boring.

All that has changed is now thanks to texting and portable internets you can see evidence of the fact that borderline personality narcissists can't force people to think about them 100% of the time just by being physically present.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost 40. Most of my friends are... but some of my guy friends date much younger girls.
    One is as young as 18 and surprisingly she's the nicest, friendliest, well-mannered one out of the lot.
    The others are 20-22 range and they definitely lack in conversation skills. Either they want to only
    talk about themselves or they jump into their phone and never look up. At least all my friends closer
    to my age are great conversationalists and we have fun debates over many topics.
    (usually while the "younguns" stare blankly b/c they just don't understand)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I am on social media. Dosent mean I cant have a conversation with a person.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

I remember the days when you would have conversations either on phone or in person. These days it feels like people would rather have 5 word max conversions via text, apps or FB than actually meet or talk. What's worst is people seemingly fluster when you explain you don't have apps. Unfortunately it doesn't end there, even if you do meet them it's like they're surgically attached to their phone! I do believe this has all accumulated in a number of people (usually those under 25) struggle to hold simple conversations

I remember the days that you would only see/talk to people 1/2 times a week depending on how busy you are. So that when you did see them you had plenty of "backlogged" things to talk about.

These days you are pretty much able to stay in constant contact. Where you used to have 1 30-60 minutes discussion a week, you now have 30-60 1 minute talks.

I don't really see a difference.

Maybe it's just you, OP.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Now obviously not everybody under 25 does this

If you want to solve your facebook/social media problem, do what I did: follow the website/FB page corgi addicts. They send 10-20 pictures a day of adorable corgis. Now i never have to see all the FB spam nonsense, just adorable corgis. It is also a good idea to then share all the pictures so all your friends are also spamed with adorable corgis.

If you hate all the facebook spam your friends/relatives send you, then follow my example and join corgi addicts.

Here is the website friends: http://corgiaddict.com/
    Last edited by Khoranth; 2014-08-28 at 03:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I remember the days that you would only see/talk to people 1/2 times a week depending on how busy you are. So that when you did see them you had plenty of "backlogged" things to talk about.

These days you are pretty much able to stay in constant contact. Where you used to have 1 30-60 minutes discussion a week, you now have 30-60 1 minute talks.

I don't really see a difference.
    I always talked to friends everyday

Now obviously not everybody under 25 does this
    I'm 31. If somebody is boring me I'll just google cute kittens while they are blathering on.

I'm sorry but there's a distinct difference between a conversation and somebody just passing air through their body to make noises in an effort to be noticed. And frankly 99% of the time people are doing the latter. And I'm glad I have a smart phone now, so I have more options for ignoring them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always talked to friends everyday

In case you didn't know. You =/= everyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'm 31. If somebody is boring me I'll just google cute kittens while they are blathering on.

I'm sorry but there's a distinct difference between a conversation and somebody just passing air through their body to make noises in an effort to be noticed. And frankly 99% of the time people are doing the latter. And I'm glad I have a smart phone now, so I have more options for ignoring them.
    Perhaps you need better friends?

Deleted
    I still do not own a phone apart from Landline. It is funny when faces blank over when they ask for your number and you give a landline

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    In case you didn't know. You =/= everyone.
    Surely that applies to your anecdote too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    You just have shit friends. Or if people are reaching for the phone when you knock up, you are dangerously boring.
    Some people are addicted to their phones.
    Happened to one of my co-workers, her phone is like an extension of her arm and if you want to have a conversation with her you better send her a whatsapp message. Because she can't be like 30 secs without looking at her phone.

10+ Year Old Account

I completely agree with you.

Cell phones, texting, smart phones, apps, all the technology we have now days makes people in general less social because they are always in their phones / tablets / computers rather than with people. Its quite sad now days that girls feel awkward when a guy calls to ask her out on a date rather than text her.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I cant answer for others but my social skills are dead and buried. And it's not cause of apps or social media, it's cause i started developing misanthropic behavior in high school and now I'm down to no friends at all except my guildies from gw whom I've never met. I hate people I hate dealing with people and I hate talking to people, face to face at least or on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surely that applies to your anecdote too?

I guess it does.