Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

English & Foreign Food

Everybody knows the English Food Stigma but it always makes me wonder how many have actually eaten a variety of English food (no not take aways or branded food chains). I like to consider myself having experienced other countries food as well as food from around England. Let me quickly list my own experience in foreign food...

When I was 7 I visited America. I tried various foods such as pizza, burgers, hot dogs, ice cream, steaks, etc. I had little to complain about, however I do remember finding the portions too much and wasn't keen on the pizza and fries. The service wasn't great either...

When I was 18 I visited Germany. Again I tried various food and my god, schnitzel and noodles is heaven! So much so I had seconds for dessert. The meat was gorgeous. My only complaint, the dry hard bread. The service was excellent.

When I was 20 I went to France. Tried various food but as we were by the coast most was seafod. Food out was ok but nothing special and seafood filled crepes can go to hell lol However I loved eating baguettes, soo delicious. Mmm! Unfortunately service was terrible, they seeming treated us differently for being English even when we ordered in French.

When I was 21 I visited Spain. I will keep it brief, I didn't enjoy Spain. I struggled with the food

When I was 24 I visited Portugal: Tried various food but can't say anything wowed me. It was bad just not very memorable.

That said the best food I had was in Scotland Not to keen on Southern English food though

I'm fine with trying most foods from around the world, but I've not traveled a whole lot either so I can only really base that of food I make myself or take aways.

I'm generally open to trying most food, and so are most people I know, but I couldn't be eating things like Cow Hoofs, Squid Eyes and such.

Deleted
    I like the mediterranean kitchen a lot, the more exotic and spicy the better.

Seafood is the best!

I dislike junkfood from places like McDonalds and Quick tough, I prefer the Belgian culture of friteries (independend small fast food restaurants) or a pitta/kebab/pizza.
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2014-08-29 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    What is the English Food Stigma?

Deleted
    I try anything once

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Theres a misconception that all English food is bad fueled by myths and junk food

Generally it's believed most British people are too afraid to try exotic food, and like to just stick to their Fish & Chips, but I disagree with that view. I know plenty of people who love to try and sample new foods.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have marmite. If you hate it you hate it, if you love it then even vanilla ice cream will be coated in marmite.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    To paraphrase John Cleese. English food is bad because they had an Empire to run...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    You have marmite. If you hate it you hate it, if you love it then even vanilla ice cream will be coated in marmite.
    Atleast its not Vegemite.

Fucking strayans.

Deleted
    We had rationing until the 1950's because of the damage sustained during the war, US servicemen stationed here before that time were not used to bland and small portions.

Aside from having been to Canada a few times as a kid I've never traveled outside the U.S., but I have tried foreign foods.

Indian: Tandoori Chicken: Liked it the first couple times. Last time I had it though there was WAY too much cayenne pepper. Tasted great, just a tad too much heat.

Chinese: Beef/Chicken Lo Mein: Like it, and want to make it at home.

Thai: Beef in hot plate: (beef with thinly sliced carrots and green beans): This surprised me. There was no question I'd like the beef but while I normally hate carrots and can tolerate green beans, I hated the green beans and actually liked the carrots in this one. (surprised the heck out of my family too)

Japanese: Beef Udon: Loved it. not much else to say really
    Unagi: Hated it. Never touching any kind of sushi ever again. (only tried this one because it was cooked)
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Most of the places we dined at in London (it's the only place I been) were rather good. But almost all of it was non-British cuisine. We went to Italian, French and Indian places mostly.

However, we did have "Fish & Chips" and an "English Breakfast". Both were highly unpleasant.

Though I really enjoyed the beer offerings. As not a huge beer drinker that is a feat.

I have traveled a bit though; Seoul and Busan (S. Korea); Madrid, Barcelona, Palmas, Valencia (Spain); Naples, Venice, Rome, Turin, Florence, Milan (Italy), etc, etc.

Food was pretty much excellent and without peer in my experience of Spain.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-08-29 at 03:14 PM.

I've heard people say that they use Vinegar like we use Ketchup and put it on everything.

As for the Food... I love food and I can't get enough of trying different kinds but I'm kinda picky with a few items (I'm looking at you Onions) but I LOVE English roasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm fine with trying most foods from around the world, but I've not traveled a whole lot either so I can only really base that of food I make myself or take aways.

I'm generally open to trying most food, and so are most people I know, but I couldn't be eating things like Cow Hoofs, Squid Eyes and such.
    i wish i could try such foods. instead im stuck in this uncultured city that thinks jalapenos are the spiciest thing ever.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I know every country has cosmopolitan cities. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because of the amount of immigration in the US, food is extremely cosmopolitan here and especially if you go to a bigger city where a lot of immigrants congregate. I guess English food in the US would be known as American food except we don't do steak and kidney pie or meat pudding.

1 out of 5 Americans claim German ancestry and a lot of German food has shown up. Chicken fried steak is schnitzel for example, hamburger and franks. Like most imported foods, they've changed over the years. US Schnitzels are huge and smothered in gravy for example. Same with pizza, a US pizza doesn't look much like an Italian pizza.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    I know every country has cosmopolitan cities. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because of the amount of immigration in the US, food is extremely cosmopolitan here and especially if you go to a bigger city where a lot of immigrants congregate. I guess English food in the US would be known as American food except we don't do steak and kidney pie or meat pudding.

1 out of 5 Americans claim German ancestry and a lot of German food has shown up. Chicken fried steak is schnitzel for example, hamburger and franks. Like most imported foods, they've changed over the years. US Schnitzels are huge and smothered in gravy for example. Same with pizza, a US pizza doesn't look much like an Italian pizza.
    i cant eat german food especially saurkraut it makes me physically sick.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Fish & Chips is nicer in the North... I tried some in Cornwall, absolutely horrid

think i stick to scandinavian food minus the fish :P

Deleted
    Nothing beats the fish and chips you get from the highlands in Scotland and the triple duck fried chips and battered line caught haddock! Mind you a good Cullen Skink or Scotch Broth is great ^_^!

Other than that i am a big fish guy and i love Japanese/Mediterranean cuisine! But i would say a lot of people are put off by the first time they have a meal! The same dish can taste entirely different when cooked by a different chef!

Deleted
    As George Orwell said :
    "It will be seen that we have no cause to be ashamed of our cookery, so far as originality goes or so far as the ingredients go. And yet it must be admitted that there is a serious snag from the foreign visitor’s point of view. This is, that you practically don’t find good English cooking outside a private house. If you want, say, a good, rich slice of Yorkshire pudding you are more likely to get it in the poorest English home than in a restaurant, which is where the visitor necessarily eats most of his meals."

I'd eat some of the meals friends (and me mam) have cooked for me over anything bought in a restaurant
    Last edited by mmocc990db2747; 2014-08-29 at 03:49 PM.