Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

People that circle their "i" rather than dot them

Growing up I would typically see girls put a circle over their lower cased "i" rather than just place a dot over them. I've seen only a handful of guys do this but mostly girls are the culprit. The ages where this occurs goes from as young as kindergarten all the way to College undergrad.

So I have to ask. Why?
    When asking my father about this growing up, he told me that its usually the case of a self centered person subtlety leaving their mark on paper hence the emphasis on the "i".

So now I'll ask the public. What do you all think, is there any evidence to self centered behavior with circling eyes or perhaps it's just a feminine thing to do.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

Deleted
    I think it's a leaving a mark thing.
    I would do something similar on my tests which was make the first letter of my name in 3D.

Deleted
    I'm a guy and I "circle" my i's instead of "dotting" them. Pretty sure I picked that up from one of my first girlfriends, as well as the lower case a made like this "a" instead of the easy version... You know, the one I can't type here ><
    But yeah, probably to leave a mark or stand out or something.

This is the first time I've ever heard of circling your i's instead of dotting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't draw circles myself, but I do usually draw a very small line instead of a dot, just to make it more visible and thus easier to read (at least to me). That might be one reason.

I'm left I can't write for shit either way..

That said, who has time to make a little circle above everything when you write something down?

Deleted
    People that can write well don't take much time making a tiny circle.

My first response is that it seems incredibly arrogant if they are, in fact, doing it to stand out. Then again, it's just font and I'd care more about the ideas presented than how it was presented. Unless it was comic sans. That can burn in hell.

Deleted
    I circle them. Mostly because it looks nicer.

We have a client at work who are notoriously pissy all the time, and do ♥ hearts above my I's when hand writing their address on envelopes or whatever. They are always super serious and like WE ARE THE BIG IMPORTANT BUSINESSPEOPLE RARRR LOOK AT US and it makes me happy to know the director has to open my letters with the ridiculous hearts.

Deleted
    Some of the girls i knew used to draw hearts instead of dots on their 'i'...Does that count as a circle?? I think its just a combination of being fancy/bored for anyone who changes the dot on an 'i'.

I think it's more or less just a way to showcase who should be detained in labor work-camps.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by NickCageFanatic View Post
    Growing up I would typically see girls put a circle over their lower cased "i" rather than just place a dot over them. I've seen only a handful of guys do this but mostly girls are the culprit. The ages where this occurs goes from as young as kindergarten all the way to College undergrad.

So I have to ask. Why?
    When asking my father about this growing up, he told me that its usually the case of a self centered person subtlety leaving their mark on paper hence the emphasis on the "i".

So now I'll ask the public. What do you all think, is there any evidence to self centered behavior with circling eyes or perhaps it's just a feminine thing to do.
    Someone does something different than you so they are self-centered? You must have a very small life if you concern yourself with stuff like this.

If you want to do it right you draw little, tiny, empty hearts.

I recall in high school it was mostly the girls that did that (and yes I've seen the little hearts but that was never on like an actual assignment). I always did a hard dot above the "i".

10+ Year Old Account
    Dots ftw /10char

I think you should perhaps get a hobby if you have enough free time on your hands to care about how other people white the letter i.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but if you create circles over your "i"s you are indeed a homosexual or at the least incredibly effeminate. Never personally seen someone do this other than girls in elementary school.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't speak for "i"s. I know that my handwriting once I hit highschool was very similar to my father's. Like you honestly couldn't tell the difference. Abusing that fact aside, I worked for about 6 months to change the structure of some of my letters. F's are the most notable.

I don't think we can just label people who do that as self-centered. Mine was for some identity XD.

Deleted
    I make a circle above the i. I don't know why. Always have.

Deleted
    Ive never seen anybody do that, gay straight male or female