10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Question about emergency response situations

Example. SWAT team shows up for a prank call. Why do people say "what a waste of resources and money"? I can understand they probably spent a few bucks on gas getting to the call. Aren't these guys paid anyways? Just confused by this.

Or drunk people in a boat that need rescuing by the marine patrol or coast guard. Aren't they getting paid anyways?

Someone enlighten me please.

Well, for the first one, if they break any doors in kicking them down, that wastes money.

Wastes resources as in what if as they're checking out what ends up being a prank call, someone else ends up robbing a bank? They'd have to finish checking then go, it's wasting resources in that matter.

Then, to top it off, it wasted everyone's time in general.

Second one, I...can't recall anyone getting mad about that. Granted it's a bit dumb to be drunk and stuck in a boat, I'm sure their family/friends won't let them live that down anyway. Otherwise that's a real situation where people could really get injured.

Deleted
    Because if a real emergency arises then you are shit out of luck because the response team are dealing with pranks, this is why making false calls to the fire service or paramedics is is treated harshly.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I understand what you guys are saying. But i hear a lot of "what a waste of tax payers dollars" what does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I understand what you guys are saying. But i hear a lot of "what a waste of tax payers dollars" what does that even mean?
    For example, maybe they have to shut down a busy highway for the prank call where several trucks with goods happen to drive on, or they have to evacuate nearby companies which have to shut down their work during the operation. The emergency services aren't really 'paying for it' but the economy for some people/organizations gets to a standstill for some at that moment. And that's only one example out of thousands. (part of) Those costs will always be for the tax-payer in one way or another, even if indirectly.

I hope you understand why it costs money when something economically-related gets to a halt AND I hope you know what sort of things are economically related, which is basically anything that affects people & money. It can be as simple as one closed street or the temporary evacuation of a house.
    Last edited by Tisane; 2014-08-30 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    For example, maybe they have to shut down a busy highway for the prank call where several trucks with goods happen to drive on, or they have to evacuate nearby companies which have to shut down their work during the operation. The emergency services aren't really 'paying for it' but the economy for some people/organizations gets to a standstill for some at that moment. And that's only one example out of thousands. (part of) Those costs will always be for the tax-payer in one way or another, even if indirectly.

I hope you understand why it costs money when something economically-related gets to a halt AND I hope you know what sort of things are economically related, which is basically anything that affects people & money. It can be as simple as one closed street or the temporary evacuation of a house.
    Thank you. That totally cleared this up for me. You should be a teacher.

if a mod could close this thread now.

It is a waste of time, and money. Even if it's only a couple of dollars it's still wasteful and pathetic. Not to mention the mountain of paperwork, and now the other work to follow up finding the shit dick who did it in the first place.

S.W.A.T. is a little different obviously, it's not called upon every day, but Fire, Ambulance and the Police are essential to the day to day running of many cities, and even if they're ~30 seconds late because of a prank call, it could mean a huge difference in someones life.

It is time-wasting and energy-wasting in life.