Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Haswell-E / X99 released. Worth it?

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I made a post in the subforum for a new help with a new rig. Some said I should wait for Haswell-E's release and other said I shouldn't. Since I wasn't in a hurry upgrading my system, I decided to wait and see at release time if it'd be worth it.

So now that it is released, I'm curious about the more tech-savvy opinions about it.

My new pc should be fast. It should be able to edit and render movies, stream online and also able to edit large Adobe source-files without hickups. Budgetwise I should be okay.

This is NOT asking for helping combining a setup, I just want your opinion about Haswell-E or it's predecessor.

Thanks in advance ;-).

For rending movies, streaming games, Haswell -E was well worth waiting for. Nothing is as fast and the platform will be very future proff, given that you can upgrade to a Broadwell-E cpu using the same X99 motherboard, if you feel the need.

Hi...check out this benchmarking video:

Seems for gaming it doesn't make much different. But for rending etc...even the entry level i7-5820K destroys the i7-4790K...and the i7-5820K not much more expensive (although the motherboards & DDR4 RAM are a bit).
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, if its worth is depends on you, if you are gaming and rendering on the side, then its your choice, do you want to spend more to reduce your time spent rendering ( only real thing to gain over DC), but if you use your computer professionally for rendering and modeling, you probably need the 8 core and a quadro/firepro

Quote Originally Posted by CandyFresh View Post
    But for rending etc...even the entry level i7-5820K destroys the i7-4790K...
    SMP vs Single thread

Deleted
    Are the motherboards that much more expensive than their SB-E/IB-E counterparts? It doesn't seem so. The RAM, however, is considerably more expensive (up to GBP200 more.) But it's definitely an interesting thing to watch. So, if you have the money and wantit for work stuff, I see no major reason not to go for X99/HW-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiztik View Post
    My new pc should be fast. It should be able to edit and render movies, stream online and also able to edit large Adobe source-files without hickups. Budgetwise I should be okay.
    You kinda already answered your question. I don't really see a good reason to go ivy-e except for ram prices which I guess will get better over time.

Quick price check (UK prices):

i7 5820K £290.60 (scan)
    ASUS x99-A £175.40 (scan)
    16GB (8GBx2) DDR4-2133 £255.59 (crucial) or 8GB (4GBX2) DDR4-2133 £123.59 (crucial)
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

DDR4 i don't think is worth having yet from a gamers perspective probly.... they might have more bandwidth but the latency is higher making the overall gain not so much...apparently the thing ddr4 brings is energy efficiency.....but what you spend right now and gain in the long run won't make up for it. should wait for the technology to grow and get the latency's down and for the price to stabilize and get cheaper....IMHO.

I was on the verge of getting a 5960k before the price of ddr4 put me off, kinda wish I waited, I might of been swayed by the 5820k. I'm sure at the end of all this my wallet will be thankful.

We will be building a 2011-3 build for the work rendering pc. Hopefully I'll be put in charge of that and can see if I should've saved up the bit extra.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Are the motherboards that much more expensive than their SB-E/IB-E counterparts? It doesn't seem so. The RAM, however, is considerably more expensive (up to GBP200 more.) But it's definitely an interesting thing to watch. So, if you have the money and wantit for work stuff, I see no major reason not to go for X99/HW-E.
    Also keep in mind that these chips will be *slower* for gaming (especially games like WOW) than the i5-4690k and the i7-4790k. If you run really high threaded applications that can make use of 8 cores/16 threads...then it will benefit you. Video editing, professional rendering, etc. If you do not do things like this, then you will just be spending a lot more money for something that will be slower (not a LOT slower mind you, but you would lose a few FPS in CPU-bound games like WOW that can only make use of 2-3 cores). I don't even thing advanced engines like Cryengine can make use of more than 8 threads, so I doubt it would even benefit you in high end games.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-09-01 at 03:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Also keep in mind that these chips will be *slower* for gaming (especially games like WOW) than the i5-4690k and the i7-4790k. If you run really high threaded applications that can make use of 8 cores/16 threads...then it will benefit you. Video editing, professional rendering, etc. If you do not do things like this, then you will just be spending a lot more money for something that will be slower (not a LOT slower mind you, but you would lose a few FPS in CPU-bound games like WOW that can only make use of 2-3 cores). I don't even thing advanced engines like Cryengine can make use of more than 8 threads, so I doubt it would even benefit you in high end games.
    What are you basing this on?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    What are you basing this on?
    I think he is aiming at the stock clockspeeds. They are slower on the Haswell-E compared to Devils Canyon

If you are buying x99 for gaming then you are doing it wrong. If you want a bang for buck workstation then you are doing it right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    If you are buying x99 for gaming then you are doing it wrong. If you want a bang for buck workstation then you are doing it right.
    And what if I want both?

X99 with 5820K is probably the best CPU you can get if you want to combine gaming and work. In Tom's hardware Haswell-E review they crowned the 5820K the smartest CPU purchase even over the 4790K as the 5820K consistently beat all the other CPU's in the gaming benchmarks.

Price wise the 5820K is a better buy than the 4790K, has equal overclocking potential, the possibility of running 16x+8x CF/SLI and has 6 physical cores! The only chip I see on the market presenting better value for money is the i5, but that again is quite horrible if you like to do anything video related work, hell even my 3770K is quite horrible compared to socket 2011 CPU's in that department.

The biggest drawback with X99 is DDR4 being the only compatible RAM. It's expensive, has higher timings and did I mention the price? No matter what, I will personally upgrade to an X99 platform this fall, just haven't decided on wether I want the 5820K or the 5930K. What do you guys think I should get out of the two? My brain says 5820K but my heart says 5930K....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    And that is just completely and utterly wrong, there is virtually no difference between them as they are on the same architecture and the vastly superior amount of L3 cache on the Haswell-E chips evens out the scores even at severly lower clock rates. I am willing to bet that if you OC the Haswell-E chips to the same frequency as those chips, they would be blown out of the water.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,3918-7.html

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got the 5820k, Lemmiwink, and I am quite happy. Frankly, I don't need the extra PCI-E lanes and thus the other two CPUs begin to have less things that I could potentially need/want. I've not yet done any major video editing, but I imagine I'll make another story-like video like my classic Hero of Shattrath 15 minute video and we'll see how much quicker this computer handles it than my old i5-2500K.

Just looking forward to being able to make SSDs my main storage solution.

Just imagine writing, reading, rendering video footage purely on SSDs! :O

To be fair, X99 gives me more than enough SATA 6G ports to do that if I want, and then SATA Express to go even further and tons of m.2 support. lol

I'm excited to try out the m.2 x4 PCI-E card sometime down the road...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I got the 5820k, Lemmiwink, and I am quite happy. Frankly, I don't need the extra PCI-E lanes and thus the other two CPUs begin to have less things that I could potentially need/want. I've not yet done any major video editing, but I imagine I'll make another story-like video like my classic Hero of Shattrath 15 minute video and we'll see how much quicker this computer handles it than my old i5-2500K.

Just looking forward to being able to make SSDs my main storage solution.

Just imagine writing, reading, rendering video footage purely on SSDs! :O

To be fair, X99 gives me more than enough SATA 6G ports to do that if I want, and then SATA Express to go even further and tons of m.2 support. lol

I'm excited to try out the m.2 x4 PCI-E card sometime down the road...
    Which motherboard did you go for? So far I am eying the Asus X99 Deluxe, so will have to reconfigure my watercooling loop completely for that if I choose that one. I am leaning towards the 5820K myself as I prefer a powerful single gpu over CF/SLI.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I have the Fractal Design Define R4 white... I eyed the X99 Deluxe and literally immediately knew I had to get it. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Deltrus - I have my own opinions but worth going 3930K -> 5930K?

I doubt going to 5820K is.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K