What is this big feminism / gaming debacle that is going on right now?

Hi MMO-Champ,

I am trying to read up about this big Zoe Quinn / Anita Sarkeesian trouble that is going on right now, but I was hoping someone here could give me a bit of an easy to digest lowdown. Most of the posts I have attempted to read are quite lengthy and windy and that forces me to skim read against my will.

What I have so far is:

- A couple of females are writing about video games that objectify women
    - there have been death threats?
    - LOTS of people feel very passionate about it

But I don't understand why? Could someone please give me both sides of the argument?

Thank you in advance

AdMaN

Read and post in the "Gamegate" forum instead of making a new thread. It has all the info you need for the most part.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post29205982
    Last edited by Lessthanzer0; 2014-09-01 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    Read and post the "Gamegate" forum instead of making a new thread. It has all the info you need for the most part.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post29205982
    Hey, it goes right to my post about nothing basically! :P

But yeah, the Gamegate forum has a lot of the info.

Gist of it right now is people on one side are calling all gamers "neckbearded no life women hating baby men" basically because some idiots did go overboard harassing them yet they're going way overboard back, and some gaming press are claiming that the identity of being a "gamer" is dying.

Let's keep it all to one thread, which others have linked. Feel free to ask questions there.